Mental Health Forums

Attention Seeking/looks

tearstained

i always have to look my best and have my make up looking "perfect". i feel really ugly and have no confidence at all when i'm not all done up. i love the attention guys give me, it's the only time i feel good about myself. but i do feel weird when people look at me sometimes because i think they're thinking bad thing about me! idk, it's weird.

I used to go out looking the gonads, but since being kicked in the bollocks the past three years, I dont want anyone to look at me and think eeeew eeerrr. So I go out with no face on, but you cant hide pretty, so you can dowdy yourself down with some weight gain and some scruffs.

Works for me. Am not interested in a man, not right now so he can fuck me over emotionally and destroy me.

crazyornot - you accuse a member of being "narcissistic and egomaniacal", and then come out with this gem- "she is prob as big as a house and ugly as sin, sorry to disappoint but I am a size 6 also long blonde hair and decent boobs".

Now you have hurt hope, and had a go at other people who may FEEL bigger than they want to be, or may feel ugly, may have body dysmorphic disorder.

To top this off, you illustrate how you are a brilliant parent with an above avg intelligent daughter and ... ad nauseum.

Some of us doubht our parenting ability. Some of us are worried about our kids and how they are doing. Ok, well, I do anyway. And i know of others who do. I don't think your 'polly perfect' attitude is helpful. It does get peoples backs up. Oh, no one stabbed you in the back, anyone who said anything to you said it to your face.

b.k.

edit-spelling

Bad Kitten

For the record, the analogy was used based on the original description of the post I was commenting on and not on a personal belief which had you really read my second post you would have realised this. You have also used the quote completely out of context to make it look bad and I don't appreciate that. How on earth did I have a go at other people who may be body dysmorphic? You want to have a go then fine, just don't try and make me out to be a bitch when i'm not! As for my parenting ability in what way was I behaving in a "polly perfect" manner. I never claimed to be a "perfect", parent, I was pointing out that I teach my child that looks are not important and that if she has a good brain then she should use it. What the hell is wrong in being a supportive mother? You think that I don't dounbt my parenting skills?, believe me I do every day especially when she asks advice re: friendship problems. I am terrified that the advice I give her is inappropriate or going to make things worse so I constantly second guess myself and end up in a right state for days. I am riddled with insecurity re: my being a good parent especially as it is only me and her but I will not apololise for being proud of her! It can't be easy living with my moods so I congratulate her on being able to achieve so well given that her mother is a mess. Given that the youth of today is bombarded with images of the so called "perfect", body and as such has boasted a rise in eating disorders of our young kids then I feel I have done nothing wrong to promote a healthy body image for my child in that she is taught that looks and or size are unimportant it is whats inside that counts. Why is this so hard to understand? I'm not attacking anybody but boy do I feel like I'm being attacked now for merely trying to endorse a healthy body image and being proud of my daughter. FYI, the "stabbed in the back", comment was meant to lighten the mood!

wha? a size 6 ??? ye right

What are you talking about? That is my natural size given that I am also 4' 10'', so this is somehow my fault? Get a grip.

Im 5ft 2". Same as Hannah Waterman, now she has just gone down to 7st summat, and I have to say, that she don't look to healthy round the face. Youngsters look okay a size 6. Us older ones, we look real old round the gills if we go down to a size 6. I'd like to be a size 10 please thank you.

think everyone just got their natural healthy weight. i got little round pudgy face, and have got curves and stuff, just narrow as anything, and can't put on weight, cept on my little pudge tum! but i love my pudge tum *wobbles*

I think all us ladies carry our spares round our middle, id be fine with liposuction and a boob lift, but then id have nothing to keep my knees warm in winter.

Tell me about it Sioux. I'm 40 as of a month ago and boy oh boy has the "chicken neck", kicked in lol and shopping would be so much easier if I were "bigger" in all ways. I've taken to making my own clothes as a way of actually getting to wear stuff that fits lol. It's a nightmare trying to find small sizes in the 5' 3'' and under sections of stores and even when I get lucky I still have to take things up. I can't wait for the day when stores realise that we are not all giants and that having to ask someone to get something from the top is embarrassing enough without the problem of your jeans trailing 2' behind you lol.

Ha ha I like long jeans. Along with my course I intend to drop back to a size 10, Im a loose 14, and I feel huge, but it is about your own perception of yourself. And my boobs don't really hit my knees, they tickle my toes! heeee heeee

im 5'5 and a size 12-14 and i recently lost a lot of weight from doing drugs like speed, coke, pills etc cuz i wasnt eating and since iv been depressed and lost my job, not been going out or felt like doing anything im terrified im gonna put weight back on. i always feekl fat although i dont eat much, but feel guilty for everything i do eat and today i feel i have done nothin but eat but thinking about it iv actually eaten a normal amount, but its the most iv eaten for ages. i feel like i shouldnt eat at all or eat as little as possible. been craving chocolate the past few days which is annoying. i need to start being more active cuz i aint becoming a fat slob but its so hard when you feel down to do anything >_<

Ha ha I like long jeans. Along with my course I intend to drop back to a size 10, Im a loose 14, and I feel huge, but it is about your own perception of yourself. And my boobs don't really hit my knees, they tickle my toes! heeee heeee

I tried the turn up your hem trend but the turn up looked more like leg warmers cause they came up to my knees lol. Hey maybe I should go for the long length and then I will have enough left over material for another pair lol. Roll on the summer, i've made about a 100 gypsy skirts to hide my tree trunk thighs. I could say I have an hour glass figure but that would only be true if I was talking about min 3 hourglasses piled on top of each other. Above the hip is fine below the hip should be declared a natural disaster area lol.

wow this is so me!!!

i hav a slim figure big boobs long blond hair and egt LOTS of attention. if some guy isnt trying to get iwth me i worry and have to get back attenion somehow! i live off it almost.

i wear make up everywhere and i always get compliments. without them i feel worthless. when i look plain i feel so insecure and worthless. i swear people are nicer to me because and only because of my looks too!! xx

Jeez Hope, up on yourself much!! No offence but OMG you seem so narcissistic and egomaniacal!!!!! When i take the trouble to look decent it is because I want to for me and not for anyone else, i'm sorry but dressing to please others is such a waste of time. I'm more interested in getting better than what I look like to others to be honest and if I feel well enough to get out the house, that is a big deal without the added pressure of caring what others think of something as superficial as how big my boobs look in a certain top or if my hair and make up is perfect, please, Its so pointless! and btw your probably thinking bitch, she is prob as big as a house and ugly as sin, sorry to disappoint but I am a size 6 also long blonde hair and decent boobs, so that theory is out the water if it's conforming to a certain ideal of attractiveness you are basing yourself on. Sorry not meaning to be horrible but your post really irratated me as it appears as though you are still seeking attention through us now and attention seeking is not what this forum is about.

Dear 123CrazyorNot,

When you called Hope "narcissistic and egomaniacal", I felt that was very attacking and not constructive, and if I were Hope, it would hurt me alot and even possibly cause a dangerous mood crash. I would like if you could find more constructive ways of commenting on people's priorities than calling them hideous names.

Please watch the movie http://www.netflix.com/WiMovie/America_the_Beautiful/70099620?trkid=921403

I watched it with my teen daughter and it was very illuminating about why so many women hate our bodies or else have superficial fixations on our beauty and attractiveness.

Thank you,

cat

I have to agree, Hope was just being honest. Why say, "no offence but" and then start insulting her as if it's not going to cause offence just because you've said that :s You dont have to be narcissistic or egomanical to take a pride in your appearence. She was obviously saying she craves compliments and approval from others based on her looks and doesnt feel its a good thing. This shouldnt be a place for attacking other people and like cat said it could cause a mood crash if she's feeling fragile, so if you have nothing nice or helpful to say...

Can I just clarify that I said Hope seemed egomaniacal etc because of the way she worded her entry hence the "no offence but....", I was not attacking her personally!!! I wouldn't. However if I have caused offence, unintended though it was, then I apologise. For some reason I get really touchy when someone bases their whole sense of worth on their looks!. As a woman I think it is hard enough to be accepted as intelligent when you are decent looking without buying into the whole "Barbie", mantra. I'm gonna end up getting carpeted again lol. I knew my reply would get somepeoples heckles up though it was unintentional. I am the mother of a 12 year old girl and she has been taught from an early age that what she looks like is not important as it is her intelligence that will steer her life and looks fade anyway. Yes she has been taught a good skin care program and is allowed to play around with make up, ( though she never wears it outside the house), and yes she is actually a very pretty girl but more importantly she has been taught by me to feed her brain and as such she is in the top 20 achievers in her school, ( she is in 1st year and there are 700 pupils in the school). So although I apologise for what was perceived as an attack, I do not apologise for the sentiment. Sorry if this reply offends, I'm just trying to explain in the only way I can. Can I take the knives out my back yet lol?

Dear 123,

Hi, I really appreciate and accept your apology. I actually subscribe to the same value system as you do (rationally, emotionally i still have body image issues galore.) When I read your post, I had just finished my own stating how whenever I feel good about myself (accomplishments, looks, you name it), I worry that I am going to become a Narcissist Egomaniac just like my daddy was, so your choice of wording cut a little too close to the bone. I'm happy that you are raising your daughter to be happy about herself beyond her looks, I am doing the same with mine. I do think that your tone in this thread tends to be defensive. That makes my compassion wake up. What are you defensive about? All of us are "victims" of the Beauty Myth (even if not especially men! thank you, gentlemen, for piping in and rounding out the discourse. I appreciate you showing us that men have these feelings, too. That is very human-ly reassuring and non-sexist. :wub: )

Personally, i think the whole size number thing is a huge pile of BULL DADA! I am an indie fashion designer, and I dress beautiful people of every size. My friend S. is smaller than my 16 yr old. My 16 yr old is short and curvy. I wear a size 16 on top and a size 12 on bottom. I made a hot raver costume for a woman with size 56 hips. She always gets compliments when wearing it. Size MEANS NOTHING! it's all about self-confidence and inner beauty aka charisma.

Let's build each other up instead of tearing each other down.

love and light,

cat

wow this is so me!!!

i hav a slim figure big boobs long blond hair and egt LOTS of attention. if some guy isnt trying to get iwth me i worry and have to get back attenion somehow! i live off it almost.

i wear make up everywhere and i always get compliments. without them i feel worthless. when i look plain i feel so insecure and worthless. i swear people are nicer to me because and only because of my looks too!! xx

Jeez Hope, up on yourself much!! No offence but OMG you seem so narcissistic and egomaniacal!!!!! When i take the trouble to look decent it is because I want to for me and not for anyone else, i'm sorry but dressing to please others is such a waste of time. I'm more interested in getting better than what I look like to others to be honest and if I feel well enough to get out the house, that is a big deal without the added pressure of caring what others think of something as superficial as how big my boobs look in a certain top or if my hair and make up is perfect, please, Its so pointless! and btw your probably thinking bitch, she is prob as big as a house and ugly as sin, sorry to disappoint but I am a size 6 also long blonde hair and decent boobs, so that theory is out the water if it's conforming to a certain ideal of attractiveness you are basing yourself on. Sorry not meaning to be horrible but your post really irratated me as it appears as though you are still seeking attention through us now and attention seeking is not what this forum is about.

Dear 123CrazyorNot,

When you called Hope "narcissistic and egomaniacal", I felt that was very attacking and not constructive, and if I were Hope, it would hurt me alot and even possibly cause a dangerous mood crash. I would like if you could find more constructive ways of commenting on people's priorities than calling them hideous names.

Please watch the movie http://www.netflix.com/WiMovie/America_the_Beautiful/70099620?trkid=921403

I watched it with my teen daughter and it was very illuminating about why so many women hate our bodies or else have superficial fixations on our beauty and attractiveness.

Thank you,

cat

I have to agree, Hope was just being honest. Why say, "no offence but" and then start insulting her as if it's not going to cause offence just because you've said that :s You dont have to be narcissistic or egomanical to take a pride in your appearence. She was obviously saying she craves compliments and approval from others based on her looks and doesnt feel its a good thing. This shouldnt be a place for attacking other people and like cat said it could cause a mood crash if she's feeling fragile, so if you have nothing nice or helpful to say...

Can I just clarify that I said Hope seemed egomaniacal etc because of the way she worded her entry hence the "no offence but....", I was not attacking her personally!!! I wouldn't. However if I have caused offence, unintended though it was, then I apologise. For some reason I get really touchy when someone bases their whole sense of worth on their looks!. As a woman I think it is hard enough to be accepted as intelligent when you are decent looking without buying into the whole "Barbie", mantra. I'm gonna end up getting carpeted again lol. I knew my reply would get somepeoples heckles up though it was unintentional. I am the mother of a 12 year old girl and she has been taught from an early age that what she looks like is not important as it is her intelligence that will steer her life and looks fade anyway. Yes she has been taught a good skin care program and is allowed to play around with make up, ( though she never wears it outside the house), and yes she is actually a very pretty girl but more importantly she has been taught by me to feed her brain and as such she is in the top 20 achievers in her school, ( she is in 1st year and there are 700 pupils in the school). So although I apologise for what was perceived as an attack, I do not apologise for the sentiment. Sorry if this reply offends, I'm just trying to explain in the only way I can. Can I take the knives out my back yet lol?

Dear 123,

Hi, I really appreciate and accept your apology. I actually subscribe to the same value system as you do (rationally, emotionally i still have body image issues galore.) When I read your post, I had just finished my own stating how whenever I feel good about myself (accomplishments, looks, you name it), I worry that I am going to become a Narcissist Egomaniac just like my daddy was, so your choice of wording cut a little too close to the bone. I'm happy that you are raising your daughter to be happy about herself beyond her looks, I am doing the same with mine. I do think that your tone in this thread tends to be defensive. That makes my compassion wake up. What are you defensive about? All of us are "victims" of the Beauty Myth (even if not especially men! thank you, gentlemen, for piping in and rounding out the discourse. I appreciate you showing us that men have these feelings, too. That is very human-ly reassuring and non-sexist. :wub: )

Personally, i think the whole size number thing is a huge pile of BULL DADA! I am an indie fashion designer, and I dress beautiful people of every size. My friend S. is smaller than my 16 yr old. My 16 yr old is short and curvy. I wear a size 16 on top and a size 12 on bottom. I made a hot raver costume for a woman with size 56 hips. She always gets compliments when wearing it. Size MEANS NOTHING! it's all about self-confidence and inner beauty aka charisma.

Let's build each other up instead of tearing each other down.

love and light,

cat

Dear Cat

Thank you for accepting my apology, I really didn't mean any harm but I am truly sorry if I upset anyone. Yes perhaps my wording could have been better and I admit I am very defensive over perceived body image though I don't know why! Maybe it's because my whole life I have been called derogatory names re: my diminutive height, and patted on the head by folk who think it's funny to point out my size in such a manner I have built up a kind of auto response. I'm on a bit of a high at the mo as you probably guessed lol. Anyway just wanted to acknowledge my own little devil inside and apologise for allowing her to write when I should have known better. Sorry everyone, please forgive me, I'm not a bad person honest but I do have my moments as we all do but I was out of order and for that I'm truly sorry.

Please take care everyone

Amanda

Hi, I hadnt been on so i missed all this but i recieved a personal apology from her so i accept.

However just to clarify, for her and anyone else who saw it as egotistical-

I am bullimic, insecure, have BPD, am lonely, pregnant and very worried about everything in general, hence being on this forum in the first place. Just because i get attention looks wise does not mean i have a big head or think i am of great worth, i was simply ponting out that in this society my looks get me some positive attention which i rightly or wrongly crave, to help boost myotherwise dangerously low self opinion and self worth!!

Hi, I hadnt been on so i missed all this but i recieved a personal apology from her so i accept.

I am bullimic, insecure, have BPD, am lonely, pregnant and very worried about everything in general, hence being on this forum in the first place. Just because i get attention looks wise does not mean i have a big head or think i am of great worth, i was simply ponting out that in this society my looks get me some positive attention which i rightly or wrongly crave, to help boost myotherwise dangerously low self opinion and self worth!!

Dear Hope, you have a ton on your plate and my heart goes out to you.

love,

cat

Dear Hope,

Thank you so much for accepting my apology. I really meant it and not because I got stick on this board but because I know I was in the wrong. I understand what you meant now and I'm truly sorry for going off the deep end. I hope you are well and that the little baba inside you will give you as much joy as my daughter continues to bring me, she is my little ray of sanity if you will and loves me unconditionally which I don't deserve sometimes given my mood swings. I hope things get better for you soon and wish you all the best that this world has to offer. It may not have come accross but I'm an ok person really and though you may not wish to,(given my previous outburst), I am here to listen and generally be there if you need a friend.

With love

Amnada x

Archived