Mental Health Forums

Asking For Sleeping Pills

lauraw2693

Hey just wondering if anyone has any advice about asking for sleeping pills - I'm seeing my cpn at 2 and am going to ask her to ask my psychiatrist if I'm allowed a few. The GP refused last year but hes useless anyway. I've had diazepam a few times from A&E and never usually need them but I've had a few weeks of getting on average 1-2 hours sleep a night and its making me feel really lousy. I'm going to Canada with my girlfriend at the weekend and don't want to spend the whole time being exhausted, I want to enjoy myself. Plus I don't like the idea of sharing a room with her sleeping and me up all night. This is the reasoning I'm going to give my cpn, do you think theres any hope in my psychiatrist letting me have some?

dunno what your other meds are that you are on, but i used a small dose of a tri-cyclic antidepressant (tca) to help with my sleep as they have a sedative side effect. Amitriptyline (spelling is wrong i think soz)

tca's are more fatal in od, so if you have a history of this then they may not give it to you... but if they or u are wary of benzos (diaz) then that may be a compromise.

it helped me with my sleep...

Worth an ask maybe...

Good luck

Thanks, I'm on Pregabalin and Quetiapine, which is meant to help me sleep but doesn't seem to be working at the moment. Yeah I'm not allowed a repeat prescription because of a history of OD attempts, so I doubt they will let me have tablets that could be fatal. I will ask anyway, I better do today as I'm going away in less than a week now :huh:

Something that just sprang to mind and thought it might be helpful!!

http://www.theage.com.au/travel/traveller-tips/a-prescription-for-trouble-20091016-h0oq.html

Hope you enjoy canada........I wish :) its been years since I have been there.

Take care

Russ.

Oh cool thanks Russ, was worrying a bit about taking all my meds - will keep them in hand luggage and get a doctors letter, should be fine.

Thanks, I love it over there, Toronto, its where I want to end up in a few years time :)

I talked to my CPN and told her that the GP was awkward last time about sleeping pills, shes going to get my psychiatrist to phone the GP and I'm going to go pick a prescription up from them if I need it later in the week.. which I think I will. It was nice to actually be listened to about how bad my sleep really is, for a change!

Great result all round then... it is nice when you feel heard... :)

i havent read the link that russell posted, but i do know that my mum and brother always take photocopies of their prescriptions with them when they go abroad... I am not that organised :wacko:

i once took betablockers from hk where i was living into australia and managed to get them through customs (i was searched :( ) even tho all the writing on the bag was in chinese... they giv you pills in lil plastic bags which they write on, not bottles with nicely printed lables... the customs guy just said "what are these" i said "betablockers" he said "ok" and let me go by... - quality customs check !!!

anyway all meds apart - i hope you have a lovely time in canada...

Kath xx

Brilliant customs experience there, very thorough!

Thank you, yes I'm actually in a good mood for the first time in a few weeks, motivated to finish my essay thats haunting me this evening now! x

Archived