Mental Health Forums

Withdrawal From Citalopram

Rocky

Has anyone had any problems withdrawal from these?I was taking 60mg a day and was told by my shrink to cut it down to 40 mg a day for a week,I have now stopped them but i feel so ill,I have been manic,feel so ill,i am hearing voices it's like my body is having an electric shock,dizzy,I feel tired all the time and i don't give a damn about anything.

i would suggest speaking to your doc as soon as you can about this.

if you have been taking them for a long time maybe a longer weaning off period would be needed.such as going down to 20mg...

ive had a bad time when ive tried to stop taking mine. feels like im not really there, everythings happening around me and im just watching. made me feel really anxious and shaky and horrible and like i was walking on marshmallows. not sure how long it lasts cuz soon as it started i couldnt take it and had to take them again. you should tell your doctor

• 1 month later...

Hi,

I also was on Citalopram 40 mg. My Doc told me to reduce it down in a week to nothing. God i have never felt so ill in my life. it felt like i was having an electric shock every minute. Really it was horrible.

In the end i went back to her and she reduced the dose over a longer period of time and that was better. They do it because normally you are weaned off medication because its not working, or because you dont need it. If its because the medication isnt working they normally want to get you on something else asap. just they dont have to put up with the side effects and withdrawal!!!

Take Care

Emmie

x

• 1 month later...

Hi,

I also was on Citalopram 40 mg. My Doc told me to reduce it down in a week to nothing. God i have never felt so ill in my life. it felt like i was having an electric shock every minute. Really it was horrible.

In the end i went back to her and she reduced the dose over a longer period of time and that was better. They do it because normally you are weaned off medication because its not working, or because you dont need it. If its because the medication isnt working they normally want to get you on something else asap. just they dont have to put up with the side effects and withdrawal!!!

Take Care

Emmie

x

Yes, I also had problems with this. I was on 60mg but asked for change as I was getting manic. In fact I stopped completely for 2 days. I didnt realize at the time but I had lots of physical symptoms - stomach and back pain, like flu, as well as psychological symptoms and in retrospect I feel it was to do with the sudden stop. I am now withdrawing gradually on lower dose a.m.and at the same time taking olanzapine at night and feel much better. Perhaps a similar change might help you?

Archived