Mental Health Forums

Maybe We Dont Need Therapy

lostsoul

bravo losty poo!!

i can't wait to start my dbt, and frankly i'm mostly glad I am nuts.

i think having to deal with something like this gives us an amazing insight into ourselves, and humanity in general.

the mindfulness aspect of dbt ( the buddhist bit) is so acheivable and makes for a wonderful sense of peace.....for however long I can hold on to it. i'd read shit loads of buddhist/zen stuff before my diagnosis and before seeing dbt woman, but wasn't til i applied it to myself i realised how much i can help myself (on a good day....)

blah blah eveyone knows all this already sorry..........

i think the trouble we have is that in todays world there is just so much stuff to be mindful of.....there is for us anyway, but put us in the big bad world and, well personally speaking, it takes all my efforts to just stay sane all day, let alone have a conversation and interact with people.

thats why i'm doing these healthcards with my bipolar mate.

i am constantly checking my emotional state, and it interferes with normal activities, so instead am doing these health cards, so I can do my own health check every hour, see how I am, make any necessary adjustments - do any of the "quick save yourself" techniques I'm working on, and with any luck, stay sane ofr the next hour.

for example, went on one most of yesterday at work, everyone just thinks I hve outrageous pmt (I think), but I am still hugely unprofessional, antisocial, foul mouthed and generally awful to be around.

so today I took some chocs in by way of an apology, and made a promise (had to write a note - if I don't write it down I will not act on it) that said at the first sign of aggression/agitation/tetchiness, go outside and sing "if your happy and you know it" until you start smiling again.

it worked too........I just removed myself from the office, and went and sang myself sane.

i went out a ball of rage and aggression and crazyness, and came back 10 mins later laughing, cos as I was singing, and totally concentrating on the song, and the words and the snow (in april?/// what go on??!!?!?!) and realised that here I am, still alive, still smiling, life is good. I fixed myself!!!!!!

now- i know for a fact that there are some aspects of this that i can't talk myself out of, or meditate myself out of. And its the times like those that get me in trouble with the law etc, and thatis always caused by crazy me trying to do whatever it is that the shrinks and quacks tell me to do when i've gone mad. But they react to the fact that I#m shouting, or raging - they won't listen until I#ve "calmed down" and act like a normal human being - what the fuck???????????

i don't know what I'm saying now.

god i hate this site sometimes, sometimes posting makes my skin crawl. anyone else feel like that at times? I could peel my skin off when i thinnk about this place, son why on earth do i keep coming back????????????????????????????????

• Replies 76
  • Created
  • Last Reply

dunno mate it happens to me too. its a kind of therapy i think. it must be - it's too hard to be for fun!

i love the singing idea - if you're happy and you know it. i'll give it a whirl.

how far did you get. i cant remember how far it goes... clap hands, stamp feet, touch knees(?), nod head, jump? fuck knows? jump off a bridge.. would be nice

xx

Archived