Mental Health Forums

How Do I Stop Bingin?!

carriebaby66

I have since xmas been spendin silly amounts of money on sweets, chocolate, crisps, etc. I used to buy the good stuff, like cadburys, etc but now I buy the cheapest as I can get more for my money. I hide them under my bed and eat them every night (usually wen i cut) I've been bingin instead of cutting and I've put on 2 and a half stone (i lost a stone before xmas) Now even my casual clothes are tight on me :( my stomach is constantly hungry. I cant even go out for a walk coz i know i'll go and buy more stuff. I only eat sweets and chocolate, mainly chcoclate even during the day. I eat them that fast I cant even taste them. I hate the way i look but i cant stop eatin. I dnt know how to stop. I dnt even want to go out now, coz I hate how fat I am!! I dnt know if im eatin lots of chocolate coz they've changed my antidepressants and i might be tryin to make up the seritonin. As that has happened before wen they reduced my previous tabs. They changed me tabs before xmas and xmas is a bad time for me anyway so that could of helped towards it too. I was on citalopram for 6 years on and off, from 20mg to 40mg at different times throughout them years, but now im on dulouxitine 60mg and fluoxitine 20mg and quitiapine 500mg.

Any advice?

looks like thats a no then.

I've been and bought loads more stuff to eat today. I didnt av any in and was tryin to be good, but i was soooo hungry i went dowstairs at 1am and secretly ate 2 weetabix. I'm always hungry :(

I mentioned it to my dr last time and he said its coz im constantly active, with not sleepin so he says thats why im hungry all the time. But for me thats not a good enough answer :( x

well im def not active and always hungry

but nothing really satisfies for more than a moment

i try to drink more sometimes to avoid the food

but i do find if im up in night i will want food

and have often gone to bed to avoid eating

I'm sorry about the bingeing... I WISH I had the answer! Have you tried making a structure and planning what you eat?? Maybe just having healthier food in the house??

I know this doesn't always stop bingeing... but it reduces the opportunity.

Maybe try talking to your doctor again because it sounds like it's just making you feel unhappy :(

Also when I'm bingeing I get like I don't want to leave the house, I hope this gets better for you xx

im seein my gp on tues i'll ask him then, thanks for the advice. if there isnt anythin in the house like chocolate or that, i get really frantic i eat anythin thats in the house just to fill up, i cant rest and i get shaky a twitchy. I tried makin myself sick after but the quetiapine im on is for bulemics aswell to stop u throwin up x

Hey, sorry to hear you're struggling - I've had an ed for over 10 years so somewhat understand.

When I was trying to recover from bulimia, the most helpful thing I found was to eat regularly, and good, nutritious food. Maybe some cereal or toast for breakfast, a decent sandwich with protein, some fruit, yoghurt or crisps for lunch, a couple of snacks if you need them and a full dinner.

The problem with just eating 'snack' foods is that your body is starved of nutrients, so that it is constantly telling you to eat because it still isn't satisfied with what it's receiving. Thus however much of these foods you eat, you still want more. Plus, there is the problem of craving sugar, which I'm sure you know about - the crashes bring your mood down and so the next day you just want to comfort eat even more to bring it back up, resulting in constant swings.

I found that after a week or so of fighting the urges and eating regular, healthyish meals my urges really did subside an awful lot. Don't get me wrong, I do still binge, but nowhere NEAR as much as I used to, and my weight stays pretty constant, give or take half a stone.

I try not to beat myself up for the binges; when I feel bad about myself I binge more and get into that awful cycle, when I care for myself I don't need to binge.

Hope this helps, if you want to chat just shout and I'll give you my email.

Hugs x

Archived