Mental Health Forums

Friends? :) [Hi There!]

MelodieDAme

Hello there :). I'm Mel. I am currently studying languages at a UK university.

I think I have BPD [from everything I've read and researched, it really fits the bill].

I have set a counselling appointment for Monday so fingers crossed

(first ever time).

I like Harry Potter - I read Average Wizard (funny real-life Potter fan stories)

and My Life Is Average, which is a site full of funny stories ^_^.

I overuse the word 'lol' sometimes.

I have a twitter account, @BPDiary.

I'd love to meet some of you friendly folks and chat :).

[it's the point of an intro post, yes, but this thing made me feel

quite self-centred hehe.]

x

welcome melodie,

It may be worth talking to your gp about this as well, and asking for a psychiatrist referal. Couselling is a good start, but only a doctor can diagnose you and point you in the right treatment direction.

You may already know all this so sorry if I'm just repeating people

enjoy the forum

xxxxxxxxx

Hiya and welcome to the forum. Good luck for your councelling session. Like others have said only a pdoc can dx you so you can ask your gp to refer you to your CMHT (Community Mental Health Team) so you can get a dx and so you can start have therapy sessions.

hi and welcome.

good luck with the therapy but remember, only a psychiatrist (pdoc) can give you a diagnosis

welcome melodie,

It may be worth talking to your gp about this as well, and asking for a psychiatrist referal. Couselling is a good start, but only a doctor can diagnose you and point you in the right treatment direction.

You may already know all this so sorry if I'm just repeating people

enjoy the forum

xxxxxxxxx

Hiya and welcome to the forum. Good luck for your councelling session. Like others have said only a pdoc can dx you so you can ask your gp to refer you to your CMHT (Community Mental Health Team) so you can get a dx and so you can start have therapy sessions.

Thanks everyone for the welcomes. Yep I may go and do that. This is a one-off counselling session, I just want to go and chat about what it would mean if I were to get a dx...

I have some issues around getting a dx, and generally seeing someone but hopefully this will help.

Thanks again everyone :).

Niz xxx

Hi Melodie (don't know how to do the posh 'E' soz),

Welcome on in here, the water's great !!!

from what little I've seen in here, there's no souch thing as self centred !!!

Good luck for Monday

HI Melodie... we met on another post....yes I can identify with you too. I had a formal diagnosis of cyclothymia 8 years ago and did CBT and mindfulness.. but now suspect BPD to be the correct one. The therapy definitely helped, though now that I am aware of BPD, for the first time I have seen my life in a whole new light. Now I don't care who in the medical establishment I talk to or what diagnosis I get, I just want to deal with it and not keep crashing and walking around in the dark.

all the best with your counselling session

Hi Melodie

Welcome. lots of support on here. Hope all goes well tomorrow but Sioux is right, you need a proper dx by medical professional, at least then you'll know where to start on the therapy/help route.

Good luck xx

Getting a DX would mean you can put a name to it, you will know the reason as to why.

DBT would help.

I would love to put a name to it, it would really help. I'm a little scared though - what if I get no dx?!

Hi Melodie (don't know how to do the posh 'E' soz),

Good luck for Monday

Hehe don't worry about the 'e' :). Thanks!

HI Melodie... we met on another post....yes I can identify with you too. I had a formal diagnosis of cyclothymia 8 years ago and did CBT and mindfulness.. but now suspect BPD to be the correct one. The therapy definitely helped, though now that I am aware of BPD, for the first time I have seen my life in a whole new light. Now I don't care who in the medical establishment I talk to or what diagnosis I get, I just want to deal with it and not keep crashing and walking around in the dark.

all the best with your counselling session

Exactly, this is how I feel... hopefully this session will go well.

Then maybe I can go and get a proper dx!

Hi Melodie

Welcome. lots of support on here. Hope all goes well tomorrow but Sioux is right, you need a proper dx by medical professional, at least then you'll know where to start on the therapy/help route.

Good luck xx

Thanks very much :). Yep that's true.

x

hi, firstly i hope your appointment went well today.

i've been diagnosed with BPD and Bipolar (Rapid Cycling) for the past 3 years. though with hindsight I can see triggers and signs from my teens or even earlier.

i've been throught lots of counselling, DBT and even used to go to a psych day hospital. i'm currently seeing a consultant and have a CPN.

if i can help you with anything or to understand anything just ask.

take care x

i've been diagnosed with BPD and Bipolar (Rapid Cycling) for the past 3 years. though with hindsight I can see triggers and signs from my teens or even earlier.

i've been throught lots of counselling, DBT and even used to go to a psych day hospital. i'm currently seeing a consultant and have a CPN.

take care x

I'm glad you can recognise your triggers (I too can see signs from years ago).

Thanks very much.

As for my appointment,

I sort of clammed up a little, and then cried loads and couldn't really explain anything properly.

She told me the same old stuff about how it's more like a spectrum, which is fine because I know, but it sounded like she was 'nicely' trying to imply that I don't have BPD or anything and it's just exam stress or something because I have been fine the rest of the time.

The thing is, I *explained* to her that I seem to have been 'coping' (using air quotes) because I have merely been ignoring things. She told me to make an appointment next door (actual counselling services) to sort out my identity issues and stress and stuff, but...! And the counselling they offer is person-centred and she said they'd just be there to listen, and ask even less questions than she did (which she didn't do much) but I reeeeeally don't think this counselling style would help me...I dunno. Think I might make a GP appointment.

Oh, so I made an appointment for tomorrow (consultation which will be half an hour long) and then will get regular 50m ones.. by regular, every week I think... but I have next week, 4 weaks away for Easter, then 2 weeks and that's it :/. I don't know.

x

take care x

I'm glad you can recognise your triggers (I too can see signs from years ago).

Thanks very much.

As for my appointment,

I sort of clammed up a little, and then cried loads and couldn't really explain anything properly.

She told me the same old stuff about how it's more like a spectrum, which is fine because I know, but it sounded like she was 'nicely' trying to imply that I don't have BPD or anything and it's just exam stress or something because I have been fine the rest of the time.

The thing is, I *explained* to her that I seem to have been 'coping' (using air quotes) because I have merely been ignoring things. She told me to make an appointment next door (actual counselling services) to sort out my identity issues and stress and stuff, but...! And the counselling they offer is person-centred and she said they'd just be there to listen, and ask even less questions than she did (which she didn't do much) but I reeeeeally don't think this counselling style would help me...I dunno. Think I might make a GP appointment.

Oh, so I made an appointment for tomorrow (consultation which will be half an hour long) and then will get regular 50m ones.. by regular, every week I think... but I have next week, 4 weaks away for Easter, then 2 weeks and that's it :/. I don't know.

x

I can totaly relate to you re your appointment, honestly i can.

I went through 2 years of 'talking therapy' when I lived in Northern Ireland, treated for an eating disorder, then back to a psychologist and to be honest i was left floundering. then due to an nhs reshuffle i was referred to another hospital and psychiatrist. he basically took a minute to announce i had bpd and bipolar and put me on meds to stabilise my moods.

I dunno what the facilities are like in your area but there is NOTHING in Northern Ireland supporting BPD (well there wasn't when I lived there). I moved back to Scotland 2 years ago and I have so much support here - attending a weekly class educating and supporting a group of us about BPD and how to live with it, and also a CPN and psychiatrist.

sorry if i'm going on - i can't always articulate myself well :) basically i'm trying to say don't give up and i know sometimes getting thru the systems of counselling and therapies seems pretty useless and not worth the hassle (the amount of times i thought people just weren't getting me and threw a hissy fit!!!) but keep going.

the only advice i can offer is to always be honest about how you're feeling and what's inside. I covered it up for years and wish I hadn't.

if i haven't bored your socks off, i'm here to listen and post me anytime :)

the princess xxx

I can totaly relate to you re your appointment, honestly i can.

I went through 2 years of 'talking therapy' when I lived in Northern Ireland, treated for an eating disorder, then back to a psychologist and to be honest i was left floundering. then due to an nhs reshuffle i was referred to another hospital and psychiatrist. he basically took a minute to announce i had bpd and bipolar and put me on meds to stabilise my moods.

I dunno what the facilities are like in your area but there is NOTHING in Northern Ireland supporting BPD (well there wasn't when I lived there). I moved back to Scotland 2 years ago and I have so much support here - attending a weekly class educating and supporting a group of us about BPD and how to live with it, and also a CPN and psychiatrist.

sorry if i'm going on - i can't always articulate myself well :) basically i'm trying to say don't give up and i know sometimes getting thru the systems of counselling and therapies seems pretty useless and not worth the hassle (the amount of times i thought people just weren't getting me and threw a hissy fit!!!) but keep going.

the only advice i can offer is to always be honest about how you're feeling and what's inside. I covered it up for years and wish I hadn't.

if i haven't bored your socks off, i'm here to listen and post me anytime :)

the princess xxx

Sad that it took so long for you - and that there were no resources available.

Don't worry, you're not going on at all, it's v interesting.

Thank you so much! :) Great advice and I'll try.

Thanks very, very much :).

Niz xxx

Archived