Mental Health Forums

Any Good Films?

Divsky

Hey does anyone know any good films to watch? old or new! I'll watch just about anything and cant think of films to get lol,

cheeeeeers

off top of my head

Orphan (best horror of last summer)

Stardust

Underground

happy feet :D

xxxxxxxxxx

Hey there, we've not spoken before. I've just been on your profile and your musicl tastes sound a bit like mine when I was in my late teens, but I am now 34 so kudos for liking some 90's and classic rock stuff! I was crazy bout the Shed Seven singles when they first came out and still have them somewhere...

Anyway, films....there are so many to choose from but I always return to Tarantino movies and comic book films. Time and time again, oh and classic Rogers & Hammestein, can't beat a good singalong now! I love West Side Story, and I like watchin obscure films like Henry V in full Shkesperean or the modern Romeo and Juliet with the Titanic dude, I love all that olde worlde talking stuff. Stretches the mind a bit and you can use more visual imagery and imagination. I love watching kids films with my children too, we saw the Percy Jackson one at the weekend, wow it was good! Lord of the Rings is a great trilogy as is the original Star Wars epsidoes 4,5 and 6. Not so keen on the modern ones as too much CGI, makes it somehow unreal. Nothing like paint and gaffa tape to make a good movie. Look at Hitchcock and that, great stuff. Anyway, as I said so much choice and I could be here for hours, hope you find something good to watch. My all time fave ever movie is True Romance "I like you Clarence, always have, always will"......

Rainbow Tears :- I loved the stardust book and the film is so good too even if its a little different, I would recommend Neil Gaimens books to anyone :D never seen orphan always meant too, lol happy feet reminds me of my old store we had it on repeat in there lol always looked so good in blu-ray, never seen underground so thats gonna be first on my list :D

Roses:- yeh shed 7 are really good seen them a few times when they came to glasgow have to say am glad they got back together, I must confess I'm quite keen on the musicals (hence the rocky horror) but shhhh! I was wondering about that percy jackson if its good then I shall be taking my wee brother there...my excuse to see it lol I'm quite partial to the disneny kids films my favorite being aristocats :DEverybody wants to be a cat, cause a cats the only one who knows where its at!

cant beat a good hitchcock film I always think of the birds when I think of him lol

cheers

Pay it forward it a good film but with a sad ending so best to watch when you are feelling ok. The prestige is a bril film.

owa cool, some of the best films are really sad, always good to have a few like that for a weepy night lol

cheers

Yeah, grab a child and go see Percy Jackson but be warned my 6 year old daughter was a bit scared by some of it and I said to my hubbie I think it should have been at 12 really. Glad you liking the musicals too, your secret is safe with me and the rest of the world wide web LOL. Aristocats is great, very cool. It's hip to be square and all that.... My little brother is mad about Martin Scorcese films, they are dark though, depends what you in the mood for. xxx

ok i watch a lot of movies so bare with me

i love japanese/thai films but no good if you dont like subtitles but if you don't mind that some of my favs are:

ong bak, old boy, battle royale, a tale of two sisters (recently remade by hollywood as 'the uninvited')

watched ninja assassin at the weekend and that's awesome for ninja fighting action.

some all time fav of mine are

sid and nancy (only relevent really if youre a sex pistols admirer but is a good story of fallin in love and theyre downfall due to drugs)

requiem for a dream (yet again another film about love, drug use and downfalls as a consequence - can you see a pattern here? lol. has jared letto in it)

girl, interrupted (great film with angelina jolie, winona ryder, brittany murphy - about mental health issues)

big fish - a great tim burton film

natural born killers - classic

fear and loathing in las vegas - "too weird to live, but much too rare to die"..if you like avenged sevenfold you'll recognise that :P

ok theres a few for you to be goin on with, i have hundreds other suggestions though :D lol

Well my brothers 8 so hopefully he wont be too scared of it, yeh I choose a great place to say a secret lol ah well atleast no one from my hometown is on here.... well no one I know of.... lol

I dont mind dark films and I really will watch just about anything, although I'm a bit wary of horrors involving clowns and dolls, requires all my manly strength to endure them lmao,

cheers

I don't like clowns and dolls either, oooh we are so similar. "It" freaks me out a bit and I can't stand dolls who have one eye stays open when they are laid down. And as for Papa Lazaru, I am certainly not his wife now!!!! The people from Royston Hasey are a scary bunch alright!

Yeah at 8 he should be fine. She lives in the world of all things pink and fluffy so she is just scared easy I guess. Although mentioning my daughter Hannah Montana movie is surprisingly entertaining and if you like Japanese animation Ponyo is AMAZING even just from the animation side of things. Again, grab your brother..... "Ponyo, Ponyo little fishy in the sea, she's the little fishy with the person-a-li-tyyyyy"....

the holiday is really good:-)

shawshank redemption...very inspiring.

the green mile...

and i just watched role models and it was funny.oh and yes man was soooooooooooooo funny.

x

Ooooh I love "IT" I couldnt believe it when I found out tim curry is the clown!!! its Dr Frankun-furter lol made it a bit easier to watch :D

have to admit its great having the younger brother gives me a reason to see all the kids films lol not seen a Japanese animation in years think the last one was ghost in a shell,

owa shawshank redemption is good but as I man the thought of being "assaulted" by another man terrifies me! lol green mile makes me cry lol am too soft!

role models is good lol ronnys so abusive its great, TASTE THE BEAST lmao,

cheers

Some of those are brill

One of my fav's is Philladelphia with Tom Hanks, Kids film Stuart Little. For a belly busting laugh can't go wrong with The Full Monty. If you are into spectacular cinematography with a storyline to capture you, my all time fav ever is Dr Zhivago. x

hey neverwhere here are some of my faves, quite dark and arty.(some the same as bonni's!)

gone with the wind,

breaking the waves- (by lars von trier-very very moving, beautiful film about a womans mental health)

for some reason i see these 2 as girls films but thats just sexist and it wud be great if some men liked them.

pi

requiem for a dream -both by darren aronofsky

this is england, dead mans shoes- these are both by shane meadows who's a great director but they are both quite grim.

secrets and lies, naked, abigails party- by director mike leigh who is fantastic

blue velvet, inland empire, lost highway, wild at heart, mullholland drive (all by david lynch-favourite director)

the big lebowski, fear and loathing in las vegas -2 hilarious comedies.

the godfather- classic trilogy which everyones seen but always a good way to pass 9hours!

Hiya

Favourite recent film is In The Loop, which is on BBC Iplayer this week. Based on the TV Series, The Thick of It, about a spin doctor. Sooooo funny, if you like swearing! Worth a watch if only to hear the line "if it isn't Humpty Numpty sitting on top of a collapsing wall like some clueless egg c***".

http://www.bbc.co.uk/iplayer/episode/b00rf174/In_the_Loop/

I also watched Boy A this week which came out a couple of years ago. It's kind of based on the James Bulger murder, but focuses more on one of the killers and his rehabilitation. Everyone told me it was amazing, I didn't think it was that great, but it was interesting if you're into psychology and stuff. You can watch it on youtube, actually channel 4 have a lot of documentaries and stuff up on youtube.

http://www.youtube.com/show/boya

suzieq :- funny enough I've never seen Dr Zhivago so thats shot straight to the top of my list, I tend to watch alot of movies, all my life consists of the now is going to the doc's, gym and watchin movies lol

vivien :- oooo some good choices there, my all time favorite quite happens to be " frankly my dear I dont give a damn" :D lol

dead man shoes is really good not seen it in years, so I'll def be watching that again and I quite like dark films too so I'll take a look at the rest

esme :- I'm quite interested in the James bulger murder mainly because it was incredible shocking and I feel rather sorry for his family I dont want to say too much in case anyone disagrees with what I say,

thanks everyone keep em comming!!!

Cheers

yeh I have the feeling if I was strong enough to say that to a few girls when I was younger then I'd be a different person today lol

At my 'worst' I watched Girl Interrupted almost on a daily basis even though it was beyond triggering, thankfully my partner finally threw that DVD out as I'm sure it just kept me 'sick' if that makes sense?

I finally watched Requiem for a Dream last year after purposely avoiding it due to some of its content. It was a rather gut-wrenching story and I howled my eyes out when the Mum was hospitalised .It is very triggering though if you have ever had a problem with drug addiction (particularly IV users).

I love movies and have an eclectic taste. Jack Nicholson is my favourite actor.

Some of my favourite movies are :

The Shining

One flew over the cuckoo's nest

Shawshank Redemption

Philadelphia

If these walls could talk

Pulp Fiction

Labrynth

Dark Crystal

Practical Magic

The Gift

The Craft

Poltergeist (I)

ET

The Bucket List

Marley and Me

Schindler's List

The Green Mile

The Godfather I & II

Beetlejuice

Ferris Bueller's Day Off

The Lost Boys

Breakfast at Tiffany's

P.S I love you

The Notebook

Gran Torino

The Colour Purple

Anger Management

Zoolander :lol:

Lord of the Rings

Harry Potter

American Beauty

Brokeback Mountain (one of my favourite movies ever actually)

Forrest Gump

Monty Python :D

Trainspotting (mainly for the soundtrack)

Muriel's Wedding (Aussie movie, hilarious if you are used to off-cut humour)

Chopper (not so much for the violence, just the Aussie slang)

Sorry for getting a bit carried away, I have a huge DVD collection here. It's a rare treat that I can watch something I enjoy, instead of being inflicted to teen movies. A la - Twilight, New Moon, Highschool Musical and the poorly scripted 'dance' genre movies that emulate each other.

Each to their own ofcourse.

The last movie I saw in the cinema was "The Blind Side" - Sandra Bullock. Very predictable, mediocre acting in my opinion. If you haven't seen it, wait for DVD release. I still can't believe she won the Oscar for it. :blink:

Esme - I will watch that movie (Boy A) , thanks for the recommendation. I have vivid memories of the media coverage about Jamie Bulger and the boys that murdered him. Initially I had a 'vigilante' stance about the boys, particularly as they grew older and received new identities etc and were released.

Now that I have read some background history on them (particularly Venables) I can see things in a different context (not black or white as I had done previously). N.B - I am not defending him (or Thompson), but it is plain to see he is a product of his environment. I do also realise that a lot of us come from shiteful homes and we don't commit these types of crimes. But if you ever study criminology texts it is quite common for criminals to come from horrific homes. Sometimes it's a pre-requisite. A shame though. And ofcourse I understand why people bay for blood and support the death penalty. I don't though as I value all life, even lives of monsters.

I know that not many of you will have the same beliefs as I do, but I respect your rights to have them as I do mine.

Sorry for going off topic, this is obviously all over our media at the moment with recent activity.

Hey does anyone know any good films to watch? old or new! I'll watch just about anything and cant think of films to get lol,

cheeeeeers

my favourite films.. barfly,naked,secret and lies.

Kojin :- you basically just listed my dvd collection yes even the p.s I love and the notebook, lol although the ones that arent are now on my list to order then watch lol,

persona :- cooool thanks I'll add them to my list too, dont think we've met so hiya!

Kojin :- you basically just listed my dvd collection yes even the p.s I love and the notebook, lol although the ones that arent are now on my list to order then watch lol,

persona :- cooool thanks I'll add them to my list too, dont think we've met so hiya!

hello.. check out naked.. very abusive but made well :wacko:

Most of what other people have said... plus:

Anything with John Cusack in it...

specifically Hi Fidelity, Grosse Pointe Blank, Grace is Gone and Say Anything

Anything by Kevin Smith - Clerks, Chasing Amy, Dogma etc etc

Other than that - I love (off the top of my head)

Nightmare on Elm Street series - i love Freddie Kreuger

American Werewolf in London

Grease (yeah i know)

Great Escape (yea again)

28 Days

Princess Bride

Many many more - but those are I guess the ones i fall back on (apart from those already mentioned in this thread)

My claim to fame was that i had every cert 18 horror film out of the video shop before i was 16 :)

neverwhere... (((hugs))).

its never too late to start using that line. we all need to protect ourselves and sometimes its the best attitude to take. embrace your inner rhett butler! xxxx

p.s really great thread u've started here, lots of good suggestions for me to watch x

nothing wrong with a bit of grease :P

I grew up with freddie too lol

funny enough I've never seen american werewolf in london so thats going on the list,

dogma is awesome lol so funny,

Archived