Mental Health Forums

Art Therapy

Silverwolf

Hi all.

Just thought I'd say that I've just started art therapy about a month ago.

... and I'm thinking it's kinda useful. :)

Never thought I'd say that about any therapy really as I felt that I'd raked stuff up enough in counselling and psychotherapy, and yet didn't seem to get anywhere.

But this 'feels' different for me.

It's 1-2-1 so I don't get distracted by a groups body languages, and I know that I don't have to share the therapists time with anyone so I can start talking about something without worrying if we'll have time to finish it. Also the art part is what gets me talking about stuff and it feels less direct, like we're talking about the feelings in the picture, so i can distance or embrace these feelings as and when.

Now, I know I could just be idealising this before later on crashing and burning it, but it feels like it might help me to heal a bit. I don't yet know how the healing itself will change my symptoms say, but I feel at least like there's a little ray of hope for me.

So yeah just wanted to say really, in case there are others out there like me, who had given up on the idea of therapy helping. I guess it's like not all meds work the same way on us as individuals and so we say 'everyone is different' 'you may not have it work the same way' I guess I'm saying the same thing about different types of therapies. And just cos you may have been through a few doesn't been none of them will help.

Archived