Mental Health Forums

Coming Off Fluroxitine

Rainbow Tears

Somebody has finaly agreed that fluroxitine is not working. I started in at 20mg mid-nov and now up to 60mg for over a month!

Its doing nothing

Has anyone got any experience of what its like to come off it?

either gradually or just stopping. I'm tired of taking the dam drug! I want to be able to cry again.

No experience of coming off fluxetine...however I went cold turkey from venlafaxine, another anti d against doc advice - I had such bad withdrawal symptoms I thought I might die!!!!!

Follow your docs advice is now my advice!!!

Definitely come off it gradually.. I was on it a couple of years ago and don't remember any major withdrawals, you should be fine if you do it as your doc says :) xxxxxxx

Hmmmm, am tired of waiting and very tempted to cut it cold turkey. I has a long half life and apparently rare withdrawal symptoms. Can always take some again if its a problem.

I know I shouldn't but I just want to feel!!!

Meh I know what you mean there, I'm tempted quite often to stop my meds because of how little I feel.. It can be frustrating but I reckon come off it properly rather than feeling shit being the first thing you do feel.. xxxxxxx

This link seems to suggest coming off in 10% decrements

http://www.comingoff.com/index.php?option=com_content&task=blogcategory&id=18&Itemid=28

Try to come off slowly if you can, there can be side effects if you stop quickly 'head shocks' is one I've experienced - like electric shocks in your brain, not very nice xx

As said above, Venlafaxine is a total beeatch to come off, with Seroxat (paroxetine) coming close behind. All the SSRI's can have "discontinuation syndrome" to a certain extent, and your own biology will affect that too. As far as I know, prozac (fluoexetine) is not as rough to come off as others, and if you were on a low dose then it should be easier. But dont buy into the horror stories too much - its not as bad as the withdrawal scene in trainspotting for example, its just uncomfortable to varying degrees depending on the drug for a while.

You may feel funny sensations in your head, maybe wobbly feelings in your body, perhaps slightly panicky or irritable. Venlafaxine does really odd things like making you 'lose' sections of time, and electric shock sensations in your head. I havent heard of that with prozac.

Archived