Mental Health Forums

Can I Take Sleeping Pills On Sertraline?

Rich23

I am sorry I am asking so many questions btw lol.

I've been on sertraline for 3 days now n I've not slept hardly at all!

I have sleeping pills but I am not sure if I can take them.

I have herbal ones and over the counter ones. Any advice?

hi there, i would reccomend talking to your gp or the doctor that prescribed the sertraline before taking any other meds. or call nhs direct they will help yoiu im sure :)

Just something I found on the net

What You Should Know About Zoloft and Insomnia

It wouldn't be inaccurate to say that Zoloft and insomnia are related. Insomnia represents one of the more common side-effects of taking Zoloft. Viewed in this light, Zoloft and insomnia do indeed have a certain interconnection.

Zoloft and Insomnia – Taking One Can Result In the Other

Insomnia is a fairly common Zoloft side-effect. Some clinical trials of Zoloft (or sertraline hydrochloride) revealed that insomnia was observed in nearly 29 percent of people taking medication. The relationship between Zoloft and insomnia was noted to be more pronounced for individuals taking Zoloft for their obsessive-compulsive disorders (OCD).

Almost 30 percent of people struggling with OCD reported encountering insomnia with continued Zoloft intake. Meanwhile, links between taking Zoloft and insomnia occurrence were least common among patients using the drug for treatment of premenstrual dysphoric disorders (PMDD). A mere 10 percent of PMDD patients reported coming across insomnia symptoms while taking Zoloft.

Someone has insomnia if they exhibit one or more of these symptoms: extremely early wakeup times, trouble getting to sleep, un-refreshed sleep, intermittent waking during the night and difficulty falling back to sleep. Taking Zoloft and insomnia occurrence afterward is a likely scenario as insomnia is a known side-effect of the drug.

If you have a prescription for sleeping pills (eg the pills are actually yours, wink wink) it might be worth calling a Dr and finding out if there are any issue with taking them. I was on sertraline for quite a bit and I had very similar problems.

Hope you get something sorted soon.

Russ.

I am sorry I am asking so many questions btw lol.

Its ok to ask questions, but ask the right people. You should seek advice from a doctor (or pharmacist). They are the ones who are qualified to answer the numerous medication-related questions you have been asking here.

Archived