Mental Health Forums

Anyone Tried Bupropion (Wellbutrin / Zyban) ?

hummm_mabbe

Hi there

Anyone tried it? How did you find it?

Reason I ask is that the only drug that ever did anything for me was Effexor at high dose. The interesting thing here (to nerdy beardy meee)is that at around 250mg Effexor works on Dopamine in addition to the serotonin and adrenaline. As effexor didn't really help me at 150mg, I'm guessing that dopamine is the one that does it for me.

As far as I can tell, Wellbutrin is one of the few DRI's (dopamine re-uptake inhibitor) prescribed in the general population - the rest seem to be the more powerful "atyipcal" anti d's, at least thats what the mighty wiki tells me :)

Thinking of asking my doccie doc for some wellbutrin. I'd love to feel that nice feeling I had whilst I was taking effexor again (even though I still dont know if it was the therapy PLUS meds that did it or what) - its just that effexor stoppped my man bits **blush** from working :( Wellbutrin (apparently) doesnt do that, so whoo.

Ta

Ross

never tried it but it sounds worth a shot. i was reading on wiki about some effective anti-d's that are only available in usa. can't remember the names but don't think it was the ones u mentioned.

good luck xxx

p.s finally an anti-d that doesn't effect sex drive!

Hmmm

Well that was short lived, Apparently you cant get it here for depression (UK), they only prescribe it short term as a smoking cessation aid due to too many reported adverse effects.

Bum

Ross

Have been perscribed welbutrin at 150mg but after two weeks of sinking lower and suicidal behavior I was taken off it they think it made me worse. Not on any anti ds at moment because i have had bad reaction to alot of them and some just seemed to stop working over time. Bumble x not in uk in canada

Ross, have you tried to find any other anti-d that has more of that component? If it worked for you then you really should try to find something comparible certainly makes sense.

However, what if the component you need is going to make your bits fail?

Saying that though if you are single, surely the best thing to do would be to take what you need to get better, and forget about the working equipment for now?

Hi Sioux

Nah, I think I'll just stick with therapy. Looks like a useful safe DARI is years off, as far as I can tell. Ritalin and that other one are for ADHD, they wouldnt give it me for depression.

Ross

sorry to hear that. they must be the ones. think i got excited when i read about thm too x

Lol no worries

You are lucky pplz over there, get all the druggie drugs while the UK docs are all safey safey and para :(

Ross

sorry your dissapointed ross.it has a side affect that can increase suicidal tendences.i am a smoking cessation counseller where i work and it is prescribed as a last resort.xx

• 2 years later...

I am on wellbutrin (I know this is an old topic but no one else seems to be on this drug?) they started me on it again in hospital as I had an episode 2 days after starting it the first time.

I am on 300mg a day, it's been about 11 or 12 days, and I feel awful. Don't know if it's the drug or not. But am trying to stick with it as apparently it's brilliant once it works and I am very lucky that I have been given it by the sounds of it.

Does anyone else take this? Did you feel awful until it worked? I need it to work as I am getting to the end.

I always had been told the old Anti -D's like Wellbtrin had too many neg side effects. However like the the para Dr.'s in your country, the Dr.'s here are overly influenced by the pharmaceutical companies and insurance companies. Many drugs get prescribed for that very reason alone.

Archived