Mental Health Forums

Why Do I Lose Interest So Fast?

bpddreamer

Hi guys-

I have been agonizing for quiet some time now, let's say about 20 year (I know, most of my life), over one of the condition of BPD that drives me just 'CRAZY.' The problem is, I lose interest in things SO fast, whether it be an object like a car, or a person, or an activity...you get this idea. What kills me is that I am SO interested in ANYTHING in the beginning (even though I may not, my subconscious twisted mind tells me that I am) so start, say, the activity. Then after I try it out once, my passion for this activity is gone out the window and I just don't even bother to pay a look at it. The most desperation situation would be where someone asks me to go to a movie to see XYZ, I'm instantly interested and quite content of the idea but then the day approaches, I lost interest and can't care less. Same thing with the person. I would be talking to a person and the person is really interesting but after a while, I get bored talking to that person no matter how fascinating this person may be. I really hope that there is a cure for this or some sort of a mechanism like pinch my upper leg or something when I started to feel bored to help me snap out of it because when I think about it after the fact, I wish I had gone to the movie, talked to the person a bit longer, and done whatever activity I promised that I would do. No wonder I have no friends. I am NOT reliable! I myself wouldn't want to be friend with me either. sigh...

maybe you should mention this to the doctor..... Im in no way clued up on this - but this sounds like what i would describe adhd to be ? please someone correct me if im wrong.

Its a terrible way to be --- I dont think i get bored when i have things planned -- just really anxious and always cancel last minute. I totally get the "reliable" point too. I would say i lost many friends to it too, but tbh, it never got to the point where we could say we reached friend status, id pissed them off ebfore that, lol.

maybe you should mention this to the doctor..... Im in no way clued up on this - but this sounds like what i would describe adhd to be ? please someone correct me if im wrong.

Its a terrible way to be --- I dont think i get bored when i have things planned -- just really anxious and always cancel last minute. I totally get the "reliable" point too. I would say i lost many friends to it too, but tbh, it never got to the point where we could say we reached friend status, id pissed them off ebfore that, lol.

Yea,

That's actually another side effect of having BPD: planning something and canceling the last minute. I lost my one and only friend because of it. She obviously doesn't know what I am going through but I've canceled on her, blew her off so many times, she told me that she doesn't want to deal with me anymore, EVER. I cried for days after that. But what are you going to do? I can't help it... When the promised time approaches, I just don't feeling going out. I just want to cooked up at home watch TV or something... This is no way to live and I am just SO longing for a friendship, a real, true, valuable friendship. But, even if the opportunity knocks on my door, I'm not sure if I'm ready to answer it...

Hey I do that a lot, I collect things, get bored sell them all. The woman next door talks to me after five minutes I am looking for an excuse to walk away.

I have a friend that I rarely see, I am going to see her tomorrow, I go there because I can leave when I like, I know that after twenty mins she will bore the bejesus out of me and I will want to come home.

I actually find people quite boring, sometimes I think it is an intelectual thing, sometimes not, but I have yet to find someone on my intellectual wavelength, I don't just want to talk about their kids, their partners, what about what is happening in the real world, current affairs, politics? Why do people only ever have one topic to discuss? Themnselves? So boring.

Having spent the last 30 odd years doing the girly stuff, I want conversation that makes me think, challenges my intellect.

I gave up watching Eastenders months ago purely because I am sure they made it as a sleep inducing programme.

hey dreamer. SNAP!

totally understand this. i don't get bored quite so easilly as you but i can empathise with :

starting something (college/ new job/ friends/ buying animals/ house alterations/ moving house etc) full of gusto and good intentions.

and i don't just start something. i become possessed! nothing else matters at the time. i think the only thing i manage is to feed and keep the kids safe (thank god!). but everthing else stops. i plan plan plan, organise until there is no approach unthought of.

i proceed to actually do the activity ..... then it flops.

ijust can't stick to anything for long at all.

i now understand while i only got c's in my gcse's. did great at the exams. totally ballsed up the coursework :lol:

i'm definately a thinker not a do'er.

i leave that to my other half (and he does have ADHD). he has energy levels you wouldn't believe, but can't think about things long enough to plan things through.

so we complement each other nicely ;)

hey dreamer. SNAP!

totally understand this. i don't get bored quite so easilly as you but i can empathise with :

starting something (college/ new job/ friends/ buying animals/ house alterations/ moving house etc) full of gusto and good intentions.

and i don't just start something. i become possessed! nothing else matters at the time. i think the only thing i manage is to feed and keep the kids safe (thank god!). but everthing else stops. i plan plan plan, organise until there is no approach unthought of.

i proceed to actually do the activity ..... then it flops.

ijust can't stick to anything for long at all.

i now understand while i only got c's in my gcse's. did great at the exams. totally ballsed up the coursework :lol:

i'm definately a thinker not a do'er.

i leave that to my other half (and he does have ADHD). he has energy levels you wouldn't believe, but can't think about things long enough to plan things through.

so we complement each other nicely ;)

OMG! I COMPLETELY know what you are saying! I also plan like you wouldn't believe. And I DO get obsessed with planning. I think that my problem is when I actually get to the action of doing it after all that planning, I just get bored because the planning period had been definitely intense and required a lot of my 'brain cell' so to speak but when I follow through it, the level of satisfaction is not commensurate. I'm not sure if this make sense...

Hey I do that a lot, I collect things, get bored sell them all. The woman next door talks to me after five minutes I am looking for an excuse to walk away.

I have a friend that I rarely see, I am going to see her tomorrow, I go there because I can leave when I like, I know that after twenty mins she will bore the bejesus out of me and I will want to come home.

I actually find people quite boring, sometimes I think it is an intelectual thing, sometimes not, but I have yet to find someone on my intellectual wavelength, I don't just want to talk about their kids, their partners, what about what is happening in the real world, current affairs, politics? Why do people only ever have one topic to discuss? Themnselves? So boring.

Having spent the last 30 odd years doing the girly stuff, I want conversation that makes me think, challenges my intellect.

I gave up watching Eastenders months ago purely because I am sure they made it as a sleep inducing programme.

Thank you for the response Sioux. Yea, I find people quite boring too sometimes... A lot of times, I disassociate myself while they are talking. My body is there physically but my mind is out the window. lol

Archived