Mental Health Forums

Does Anyone Else Do This?

peace7

I do but i have no idea why.... I can listen to the same song for hours and hours but never get bored of it. I mentioned this to my cpn at my last session and she asked me why but I had no answer to give her although she thinks it may be some kind of obsession I've got myself into. She has now set me homework to try and discover/identify why I listen to the same piece of music repetitively for my next session in a weeks time.

I know this sounds strange to some people but do you listen to the same song over and over again? or am I the only one.

xx

me too... and although i buy alot of music, i have had the same cd in the car for bloomin ages and i can tell you that it takes 2 1/2 playings of track 7 to drive home from work...

i also have a thing about snow patrol chasing cars - ever since it came out i listened to it obsessively... i managed to wean myself off it, so now i am ok until i hear it again - then back on it goes - on single track repeat on my mp3 player...

i dunno why i do this stuff, but as it doesnt do me any harm i never really thought twice... but would be interesting to hear what you think about it, that is if you come to any conclusions... xx

I think certain music causes you to feel certain emotions and listening to it is a predictable way of being in control since you know it will make you feel that way.

i do this too. data's topic he linked to is interesting. let us know what you're cpn says about it next week if poss xxx

I drive my mum around the bend at weekends doing this... she really doesn't like at all when I get started, lol!

Thanks data, I've read that other thread you posted.. its interesting but also quite good to know I ain't alone and I'm not the only one :)..

I think certain music causes you to feel certain emotions and listening to it is a predictable way of being in control since you know it will make you feel that way.

I can see where your coming from with that data.. I remember reading that from your post.

Of course peeps if I or my cpn come up with anything then I post it on this thread... ^_^

Why would there be something wrong with it? My son who is 16 does it and he has no MH issues. When he hears a song he likes he just keeps replaying it.

I sit in my car driving somewhere and I just keep playing the same song over and over. I have never mentioned it to anybody cos there is nothing wrong with liking a specific song. Any one who thinks there is well surely tis they who are ill?

I ain't saying theres anything wrong with doing it Sioux... I never said that. If theres nothing causing it then theres nothing causing it. I am only asking to see if anyone else gets this so I know whether its common or not.

Any one who thinks there is well surely tis they who are ill?

No, I don't think so. Maybe just showing concern.

OH I know you didn't it is the words you said your CPN said about obsession.

I know loads of people who actually do it.

I would never have dreamed of thinking there was something wrong with it though, I just thought it was normal.

getting right into one song and playing til im sick of it is something ive done all my life....just cause im a bit messed up now hasnt changed this trait in me! lol!

music is what feelings sound like, something ive said before on datas thread i think? perhaps thats more the point your t is getting at? why is that one song so important to you right now? is it saying what you would really like to say to someone? does it cheer you up when your down? does it hold you down when your feeling bad?does it remind you of a good/bad time in your life?........ sorry im going with loads questions...just trying to help with your homework! (psssssst....fancy doing mine in return? pmsl!) xxx

I remember my dad doing it all the time when I was younger.

My kids have always done it.

I just find it curious that a CPN mentioned the word obsessional. Crazy.

Yes I do this too. Hear a song I like and listen to it over and over with-out getting bored/fed up of it.

I ususally find it's 2 or 3 songs I end up doing this with and rotate the couple of songs over and over, esp on the way home from work on my i-pod, or when I walk to town with my i-pod on.

music is what feelings sound like, something ive said before on datas thread i think? perhaps thats more the point your t is getting at? why is that one song so important to you right now? is it saying what you would really like to say to someone? does it cheer you up when your down? does it hold you down when your feeling bad?does it remind you of a good/bad time in your life?........ sorry im going with loads questions...just trying to help with your homework! (psssssst....fancy doing mine in return? pmsl!) xxx

I can see what you mean and that is probably what my CPN is getting at. I would say that I listen to the same song over and over because thats what my feelings and emotions feel like at that time.... for example: When i go through feeling everything all at the same time and my mind just won't stop! (which most of us know how that feels) i listen to loud, fast moving music... more up tempo etc etc. Although it may not be the words I actually relate/listen to but the actual music behind it (if you get what I mean). So I would agree music is what feelings sound like.... xx

(thanks for the help and people's replies.... at least we know where not the only ones ;)^_^ )

xx

• 1 month later...

I do this 2.

I infact always do this, although the song eventually changes I can listen to 1 song constantly for like 2 weeks, then eventually another song replaces it and I move on to that, sometimes I'll go back to an old song.

I've been doing it at the moment with a particular song I have on replay, According to my ipod i've listened to it 167 times in the last 3 days :o

I guess for me its because music helps to channel or alter my emotions, When I first hear a song often how i'm feeling or what I'm power can be amplified by the song and If its a really good feeling, the song sort of "captures" my emotion and thus replaying it replays the feeling in my mind,

often its particular lyrics within the song that attract me to it.

I have music for emotions as well, Like when i'm angry or sad or when I want music to change my mood and cheer me up.

I think its perfectly normal what you do.

Hey hun, i do this with the tv prog f.r.i.e.n.d.s and have done for the past 10 years i have it on repeat constantly and have watched each episode thousands of times!! Its a confort for me and has been throughout my life really! Soph xx

Hello,

I don't listen to music but I do watch the same DVD over and over again - its a NASA DVD of the Apollo 16 moon mission - like for Sophhee24 watching it is a comfort. I go to the moon with Charlie and John and leave this world behind (for 4 hours anyway).

*raises hand* Yeah, I do this as well. As I think someone else mentioned, it seems to be about feeling certain emotions for me a lot of the time (which I noticed is the subject of "Does Anyone Else Do This? Part 2"). I really don't see how there could be anything wrong with it; if it's being used as a coping method, I'm sure it's a lot healthier than many others. And sometimes it's simply just 'cause it's a really great song! I know other people who do it... and I also know people who are driven nuts by having to listen to the same song over and over. :P Just a matter of personal preference, IMO.

• 3 weeks later...

I think everyone does that, i too have done that may times. sometimes just to get out what i am feeling other times to just feel better.

mostly tho i listen to music with meaning to my life even though i like all kinds of music i tend to listen to the same ong at least 20 times in a row...

So no you are not alone =)

Yeah I do this too and I'd seriously question the notion that it is 'obsessive' behaviour!

I think the only time to worry about being obsessive is when it's harming you, e.g. constant negative thoughts going round and round in your head. I think there can be a dangerous tendency for MH professionals to question EVERY habit or trait someone with mental health problems has. This is defo not one to worry about.

Hey hun, i do this with the tv prog f.r.i.e.n.d.s and have done for the past 10 years i have it on repeat constantly and have watched each episode thousands of times!! Its a confort for me and has been throughout my life really! Soph xx

I have done this as well loreal with the friends tv show. I find it comforting and feel I know what's going to happen. I have started it with another tv show now so have switched but I do it with music all the time listening to the same song. I listen to the lyrics as well and can relate to them. Just comforting I think.

Archived