Mental Health Forums

Meds For Binge Eating & Depression

Rainbow123

Hey.

Does anyone currently take meds for binge eating. I came off Effexor two months ago and I feel so low, am off to docs tonight to get more. But I have read that Zoloft and Wellbutin are good?

xxx

I take Effexor for depression. Why not discuss other options with your doctor with regards your meds.

Did you ween yourself off the Effexor cos it is not a drug you can just stop taking cos of the withdrawal.

I take Effexor for depression. Why not discuss other options with your doctor with regards your meds.

Did you ween yourself off the Effexor cos it is not a drug you can just stop taking cos of the withdrawal.

Hey.

I did ween my self of it but the binge attacks came back. Went to docs last night and he put me back on them again.

Its going to take ages to kick in again, depression just makes me want eat and eat.

x

Hey.

I did ween my self of it but the binge attacks came back. Went to docs last night and he put me back on them again.

Its going to take ages to kick in again, depression just makes me want eat and eat.

x

i think prozac is good for depression and binge eating, that's what I'm on and my eating has slowed down already after 3 weeks, i've lost half a stone, still depressed a bit, but i think it can take 6 weeks for that to kick in,

good luck

• 3 weeks later...

Very important!Stay away from wellbutrin, it highers the risk of geting a stroke if your bulimic. I was on effexor now am on prozac but still bulimic...i dunno am thinking meds alone are not the answer, i think we need therapy, we need to dig deep and find the reason why we get so anxious and binge.

Hey.

Does anyone currently take meds for binge eating. I came off Effexor two months ago and I feel so low, am off to docs tonight to get more. But I have read that Zoloft and Wellbutin are good?

xxx

Very important!Stay away from wellbutrin, it highers the risk of geting a stroke if your bulimic. I was on effexor now am on prozac but still bulimic...i dunno am thinking meds alone are not the answer, i think we need therapy, we need to dig deep and find the reason why we get so anxious and binge.

Hey.

xxx

• 2 weeks later...

I on sertraline and concerta and lost a lot of weight but the concerta makes me feel anxious and horrible so not recommended. Quethiapine made me huge. xxx

sertraline (zoloft) and other SSRI's (a class of anti-depressants) have an appetite suppressant effect, and I found it easier to not binge when I was on is, but it also made me manic (I'm bipolar, and was misdiagnosed and treated) so I couldn't stay on it at all.

Hi ,

I agree with Gone and Scallwaygs posts above about duloxetine - Cymbalta, I am on 60mg of it, that is pretty much the standard dose.

I had been reluctant to go on 'another anti-depressant' and had weaned self off effexor in 2008. I found that on effexor i craved carbs and sweet things a lot, and in combination with Quietapine-Seroquel,(which i stopped) this was an absolute disaster as far as my weight loss plan went. I was 80kg at 5' 6'. I had been even heavier at one stage over zyprexa, but i had got rid of most of that weight by hard work and didn't like the scales creeping up and my clothes bein tight.

I ended up on duloxetine due to the fibro-like pain in my shoulders/neck/ back n knees, And last august it was so bad i ended up in hossy with it a few times, unable to move my shoulders -they were all 'scrunched' up , and i needed my sons help to get dressed as i was unable to lift my arms above my shoulders.

The gp gave me the duloxitine i asked for, and i spent 2 days in bed , with headaches and just feeling 'off'. The next day was a Monday- and i woke up feeling normal- the terrible pains in my shoulders, neck etc had just gone. I swear I couldn't believe it.

So now i find it pretty good at appetite regulation too. According to my wii fit, I have lost 17kg since starting it. I maybe binged 1 or 2 times since, and even then it was at most 3000cl, and i have not been sick after. It really helped what was a chaotic style of eating settle down, and for me anyway the drug has only 1 side effect- a very occ headache that feels like io am growing a horn like a unicorns! But at most i'd get it once a mth, and a paracetamol takes care of it, i first noticed this type of headache about an hour after i took my first tablet, but thats a pretty small side effect.

Cymbalta has changed my life- dramatic statement, but true. It works where other meds have failed, or made things worse.

I get NO suicidal ideation on it at all, and i noticed that effexor didnt help on that front, plus it made me jittery.

Anyway, just telling you how it worked for me, it helped a lot with my disordered eating. Its an SNRI like effexor, so its a pretty easy swap over, if your care provider will consider it?

Take care, xoxo badkitteh

• 1 month later...

I take prozac at a high dose to help with my compulsion to binge and also purge, I have found it to be helpful for both of these things,I am also on effexor for depression and anxiety.

Archived