Mental Health Forums

Anti Psychcotics

starryeyesee

hi

anyone know of any type of anti pschycotic that doesn't make you put on weight. i'm on risperidone 4mg and i still can't lose weight. i don't eat much and i go the gym but i'm still overweight. i tempted to stop everything and wish i never started this treatment. i was 53 kilos when i first saw the docter 3 years ago. now i'm 67 kilos. ugh

any ideas much appreciated

starry x

I've been on Olanzapine, Risperidone and am now on Seroquel and they have all made me gain weight. I believe it's quite a common side effect for anti-psychotics.

I'd suggest that you discuss your weight gain and how unhappy it's making you with your Doctor, they maybe able to suggest an alternative. I wouldn't suggest stopping your medication without talking through it with your Doctor either. There's a great possibility of withdrawl symptoms when coming off some psychotropic drugs which can be a bit hard to cope with and there's also the possibilty of relapse, so you need to go through a weening process which should ideally be monitored by your Doctor and/or your Psychiatrist.

Aurora :)

If you are worried about this you should speak to your pdoc. The reason why people gain weight on these meds is cos the meds stop the signal to your brain telling you you are full so you eat more. Hope you find a med that will help you.

• 4 weeks later...

There are actually no anti-psychotics without the side effect of weight gain. The most less likely one is risperidone actually.

Like s.n.m. says all (or nearly all) antipsychotics potentially cause you to gain weight.

Me personally, I was on quetiapine (Seroquel) for months and I didnt gain any weight, in fact I think I felt less hungry on it.

I think its written somewhere that quetiapine is one of the antipsychotics that are less likely to cause you gain weight than say, olanzapine (which is notorious for making people gain weight).

But each medication will affect you individually. It'll probably be worth it to try others.

Archived