Mental Health Forums

I Cannot Stop Eating!

bpddreamer

I'm mortified about my eating habit. I eat constantly throughout the day, everyday, ever since I wake up until I go to sleep. I sometimes find myself in the morning with food in my mouth or in my hand because I fell asleep while eating the night before. It is disgusting. On top of eating constantly throughout the day, I binge at least once a day until I get physically sick that I have to throw up in the toilet or make me sick. This is not healthy and I know that. I have not admitted this to anyone or mentioned this to anyone. Not even my hubby. I don't know what to do... I tried to think the core reason as to why I can't stop eating or binging, and the answer was boredom. The same reason why I drink, A LOT. I obviously don't feel good about my body having love handles and excessive fat hanging around where it shouldn't. I wasn't always like this. I'm not sure when and how it all started though... probably 9 years ago? hmm.... what happened 9 years ago that triggered my behavior of drinking heavily and over-consuming food every chance I get? I need to do something about this but what? Errrr, hate it when I feel hopeless and have no self control!

i dont have experience with ed, but i do know taht recognising a problem and reaching out here is a big brave step so well done for that hun...

alot of behaviours do come from self esteem too... or rather lack of it... so maybe that is something you can think about...

(((((((((((dreamer))))))))))))

sending you safe love and hugs if that is ok

kath xx

just wanted to ((((((hugs)))) you hope you don't mind ........... i comfort eat sometimes all the time i have no answers hun just wanted to hug you hun is all xox

xxDreamerxx

Man we ARE alike! I have EXACTLY the same problem! Many people (including my doctor) has told me that this is related to my drinking habits. When you drink it's all carbs, which causes a quick rise in blood sugar, which will release a large amount of insulin and cause the blood sugar to go into the cells. The resulting insulin will make your blood sugar low which will stimulate your hunger receptors to help raise back your blood sugar to normal levels. This is the classic carbohydrate metabolism of the body. Something like that anyway!

The other thing is that food releases endorphines - endorphines make you happy. When you eat, your cerebrum (the thinking part of your brain, which holds your memories) takes down notes that "eating = happy", so the next time you feel low or bored etc. your cerebrum tells the other parts of your brain to eat something, so that you will get a rush of endorphines and thus make you feel better. This is actually the same process as alcohol!

So thats a bit of scientific info for you - how to stop these things...Im not so sure!

What is your diet like? Is it mainly carb based? Mine is and I have been told that carbs burn off quickly and leave you feeling hungry. I need to eat more fruit / veges and meat to maintain a well-balanced diet, which apparently is very effective in curbing hunger. Some people say 3 square meals a day, whilst others say small meals 5 times a day - I think you need to find what suits you best.

Hunger symptoms can also occur if you're dehydrated - try drinking some water when you think you are hungry. Caffine, herbs, amino acids, chewing gum and vitamins can help to supress hunger.

How long has this been going on? Because constant hunger can be a sign of something else, such as diabetes or parasites.

I hope this helps honey!

Dolly

XXX

xxDreamerxx

Man we ARE alike! I have EXACTLY the same problem! Many people (including my doctor) has told me that this is related to my drinking habits. When you drink it's all carbs, which causes a quick rise in blood sugar, which will release a large amount of insulin and cause the blood sugar to go into the cells. The resulting insulin will make your blood sugar low which will stimulate your hunger receptors to help raise back your blood sugar to normal levels. This is the classic carbohydrate metabolism of the body. Something like that anyway!

The other thing is that food releases endorphines - endorphines make you happy. When you eat, your cerebrum (the thinking part of your brain, which holds your memories) takes down notes that "eating = happy", so the next time you feel low or bored etc. your cerebrum tells the other parts of your brain to eat something, so that you will get a rush of endorphines and thus make you feel better. This is actually the same process as alcohol!

So thats a bit of scientific info for you - how to stop these things...Im not so sure!

What is your diet like? Is it mainly carb based? Mine is and I have been told that carbs burn off quickly and leave you feeling hungry. I need to eat more fruit / veges and meat to maintain a well-balanced diet, which apparently is very effective in curbing hunger. Some people say 3 square meals a day, whilst others say small meals 5 times a day - I think you need to find what suits you best.

Hunger symptoms can also occur if you're dehydrated - try drinking some water when you think you are hungry. Caffine, herbs, amino acids, chewing gum and vitamins can help to supress hunger.

How long has this been going on? Because constant hunger can be a sign of something else, such as diabetes or parasites.

I hope this helps honey!

Dolly

XXX

Hi Dolly hun!!!!

Thank you SOOO much for this information. This makes PERFECT sense! My diet is mostly based on carbs. I finish a loaf of bread in like three days: bad... I've heard, also, that you need to eat more veggies and fruit but it's easier said than done. lol.

I'm going to try to eat 5 small meals a day because I cannot bear thinking about strictly eating three times a day. I will go nuts in between meals. Also, I've noticed that I'm craving for chocolate. I have been sober for 5 days now- woo hoo~ and I've read somewhere that if you stop drinking you will crave for sweets because there's loads of sugar in alcohol which makes sense. I never had sweet teeth so my sugar craving hit me by surprise.

I was SO bad last night. I pretty much ate until I fell asleep. This morning I got up and saw all these empty bags of chips. Ugh!

I went for a walk last night with my hubby so hopefully that counted as exercise, lol. I just renewed my gym membership too so I will try to work out in the morning before I go to work. We shall see. I don't really have motivation to go to the gym this week so perhaps I will start next week.

Thanks for your response.

Miss you,

Jules

Hi babe,

Yep I know - eating fruit and veges is a mission for me! Especially because they are so damn expensive!!! I am starting small - at least 1 meal a day with veges + a peice of fruit.

Yep I always crave sugary foods when I quit drinking - because alcohol contains so much sugar, your body craves it; thus your need for chocolate! In my experience, don't deny your sugar cravings - just at the start anyway, because it is easier to give up chocolate than it is alcohol. WELL DONE FOR BEING 5 DAYS SOBER!!! THAT IS FREAKING AWSOME! I AM SO PROUD OF YOU!!! I managed 3 days but drank last night :( I have decided to go back to AA though, which is a start! :)

Don't worry I ate a bag of chips last night too! One step at a time - first alcohol, then over eating babe. You will find that after being sober for a while, your cravings / over eating will stop - this happened for me anyway and I was REALLY BAD! Thus the reason I have decided to go back to AA.

Well done for walking too - thats awesome! I have started going for walks too. The best part is, exercise = endorphines, endorphines = happiness! YAY! I am also thinking of joining the gym.

Keep it up girl you are doing SOOOOO great!!!! I am so proud of you! YOU ROCK!

Miss you!

Love Dolly

XXX

HI.

I really find that cutting carbs makes a BIG difference. Carbs make me more hungry and crave more. I found a book by marissa peer really helpful. Its not a diet book but it concentrates on retraining your brain to want less of unhealthy foods and it has acd which you listen to at night.

I must admit, having little concentration i got bored and stopped listeneing to it, but when i did, it really helped and I ate a lot less.

I know how desperately horrible constant eating feels, I hope you find some relief.

Lots of love,

T xxx

HI.

I really find that cutting carbs makes a BIG difference. Carbs make me more hungry and crave more. I found a book by marissa peer really helpful. Its not a diet book but it concentrates on retraining your brain to want less of unhealthy foods and it has acd which you listen to at night.

I must admit, having little concentration i got bored and stopped listeneing to it, but when i did, it really helped and I ate a lot less.

I know how desperately horrible constant eating feels, I hope you find some relief.

Lots of love,

T xxx

Thank you so much T. I will look up the book you mentioned. I am still eating SOOOO much by the time I go to sleep my jaw hurts like crazy... :( Still sober though (I started eating heavily ever since I stopped drinking)... but at this point, I'm not sure what's worse...

Archived