Mental Health Forums

A Letter I Received From My Local Cmht

successful_workthru

I got a letter from my local CMHT today through the post, it reads:

Dear Successful_workthru (real names and telephone numbers taken out)

In trying to imporove the service we provide to you I am writing to ask whether there is someone or some people in your life who help and support you to cope with day to day activities.

If there is and they are interested we maybe able to help them to support you and therefore we are writing to all of our servic eusers and asking them if they would be willing to identify people in thier lives who provide caring support.

If you have someone who helps and supports you, your Care Co-ordinator will with your consent contact them and offer to meet and make them aware of what support the service can provide to them in helping you.

If you are unsure of anything in this letter please fefel free to ring me on 01--- 0----- or talk to your care co-rdinator.

Yours sincerely

-----------

Team manager CMHT

Personally, I feel that the CMHT are trying to cut corners by doing this. They are trying to save money, and get peoples friends and family to do the work that they should be doing.

I think they are penny pinching because the government are not giving them enough money to do their job.

Opinions welcome please?

hi, i think i would take it the same as u, trying to say u have enough support so dont need there help. but i always read things negatively.

cad

That's a very negative view,I do not know if its true. And if it is, isnt it admirable they are trying to help in other ways? Its obviously not their fault government does not give them enough money.Are you considering to tell them about helpful people in your life?What do you have to lose?

I would be surprised if they withdrew other help because you have support from friends/family.Seems to me they want to simply support your support.

Lilly.

Hello Success, There is a lot of support and funding available for carers of 'disabled' people. They can receive carers grant of about £50 a week if they are not working or are working under a certain number of hours. You can apply for funding for a break for the carer (which can involved you too, we used ours for a night away at the seaside in a B&B one year). There are also day courses in MH and self-esteem etc... and a carers club that meets regularly. Supporting carers in the community also supports you as they are more likely to be knowledgable on your illness and healthier due to getting some breaks. I think there are things like holisitc therapy available to them as well. You can register them as your carer at the GP and the carers team will come to the house and do an assessment and let you know the full benefits in your area.

Also, if anyone has children there is a young carers group. We got funding for a PS2 from them a few years ago and my son attends their club weekly and has been on a 6 week self-esteem course and they do day trips and all sorts.

It is not about passing the buck it is about supporting the carers who do so much for us, but sometimes get so little in return.

I totally agree with Roses, I actually think this would cost more money as it is more of their time to help support the people who support you.

If it was me in your situation I would totally go for it, the people close to me could definitely use something like this.

I think you should go for it. I think the benefits would be very rewarding indeed.

Holly x

I am cynical because last year I had to lean on a friend, and as the CMHT knew he was caring for me, they seemed to take a back seat. Also when I rang them,I felt fobbed off, and my friend felt they were fobbing me off. It took calls to them from him to get anything done. Also, at the time, it took a lot out of my friend. It took its toll on him.

Another point is that, if the CMHT think I have got a carer, then they can kick me off their books, and this will affect the way the benefits system sees me. They may think, "She is not mentally ill, otherwise she would be under the community mental healthcare team"

My friend wants to help all he can, but he does not have the time he had last year. He has committments and responsibilities now that he didnt have. Plus, although not fit for work himself, he is spending a lot of time engaging with the jobcentre in helping him prepare for work, and this is taking a lot of his time. He wants to get well enough to work, and so he should.

I was taking up a lot of his time last year when I was unwell.

I really want to believe that the CMHT are not just cutting costs, and that they are supporting the supporters, but my previous care co-ordinator said the climate within the mental health services in our area is harsh, and set to get harsher, so I cannot help thinking the content of this letter is penny pinching in disguise.

My friend said he would phone them up, too see what it is they have to offer, but he said he does not want to jeapordize my care.

Plus, I dont want to see him tiring himself out like he did last year, because, if he is tired, he is in no postition to be a carer.

Thanks for all your opinions so far, I appreciate them, keep them coming.

Archived