Mental Health Forums

Please Help Me To Help Others

maz1967

Hi I'm a front line Paramedic, I joined this website because I am having some anxiety and depression issues.

But having sat and read some of your posts it struck me that the training given to us on mental health issues is grossly inadequate. There is just so much I don't know or understand.

I thought to myself who better to ask than the people who suffer (like me), since I started to suffer from anxiety and panic attacks my treatment of my patients with these problems has improved ten fold, because now I understand more about how it feels and how to help.

They say you need to walk a mile in another man's shoes before you can understand him, well I have to say that I don't really want to walk in anyone else's shoes (I have enough problems of my own at the moment) but If I can learn a bit more from you guys about how your illnesses affect you and how I as a health care professional can help in any small way then it will make me a better Paramedic and hopefully improve my treatment of my patients.

so please feel free to tell me what it is you suffer from, how it affects you and how I could help you if called upon.

thanks

If you get called to someone who has taken an overdose, don't belittle them and treat them like something you trod on. If told they have a personality disorder don't assume they are just manipulative and attention seeking, or that it is 'just a cry for help'. It may be, but that person is still experiencing intense pain, and deserves respect. Once at the hospital, don't just leave them to sit in the waiting area, frightened and spaced out, or make them show their empty tablet boxes to the booking in people, for every one to see.

oooh how i agree... dont talk to us like we`re going to kill someone or that we are just doing it for a cry of help and certainly dont leave us in the waiting room, it makes us even more unsettled and likely to run out more than attack anyone... we usually try to overdose to end out life because we struggle so much with the stuff that is currently going on... dont ask how are you feeling in such a way, because we wont believe you... you have to somehow make us trust you before we`ll give up anything (unless we are that out of it and we just start blurting out the truth... ive done that... wasnt pretty... i may have offended some people) but if we do come across as agressive (not all of us will) come and see us the next day... we`ll probably be the shyiest people you`ll ever meet... borderline personality disorder makes us change into several different people, not change the personality but our outlook because emotions are what drive us... well thats my little ranty thing... whoops... and welcome... tea and biscuits one the counter... the chocie ones usually gone... blame the staff for that :P

I'm sorry Kalico, it sounds as if you have had a raw deal, but be assured that I always treat ALL of my pts with the upmost respect, no matter why I have been called to them, but I take on board what you say, and will attempt to educate the people i work with, to what you say

thanks xx

Hi maz1967

In my years of experience with front line paramedics and ambulance crews etcetera. I have usually had a positive experience. By the nature of your job, you have to try your best to be understanding, reassuring a person who I’m sure you have experienced is experiencing great personal distress, often as you have stated outside of your ability to understand, as I am guessing, you are mostly trained for physiological trauma, rather than mental health trauma.

I’m not whining about the lack of services for people with mental health problems, but again I just have to state it as it is, crisis management services for MH services leaves a lot to be desired.

I’m actually in a crisis situation today, already taken 50 mg of Diazepam to try and keep myself calm, and not spiral into severe anxiety/depression, I have nowhere to turn, I have never posted here previously stating that I’m feeling awful, and ‘feel like shouting, HELP please to someone. If my anxiety gets out of hand then I start to experience AF and eventually my heart will get so bad, I can black out, and end up having to call emergency services for help. A very expensive option for a stretched NHS, one that I care about, and try my best to avoid that situation at all costs.

I do think the NHS, should have in place dedicated paramedics especially trained, who can turn up, spend an hour perhaps,( meaning a single individual) doing what they can be good at and trained to do, and help persons such as myself today, without costing the NHS, goodness knows how much, an ambulance crew to a hospital, the time of doctors and nursing staff and the time taken up in an A&E so desperately needed by individuals, with broken arms and bleeding awaiting in the waiting room. All because in the main paramedics often don’t know how to deal with individuals with mental health problems.

I hope this post is not seen as hi-jacking it. Your words have ‘kinda’ triggered my response.

...and welcome btw.. your post is positive and encouraging to learn that some front line paramedics are interested in doing their job better.

Lawrence

hi Maz

The treatment I've received at A&E over the last ten years has been at the very best patronising and at worst vicious. I started getting panic attacks ten years ago and had UTTERLY NO IDEA what they were, so admitted myself to A&E a few times convinced I was going mad, having a heart attack, anaphaylactic shock, blah blah...on most occasions I was tutted at, sighed at, called 'another Ally McBeal wannabe' (???!!) and even called a stupid girl. No one explained what was happening, they just assumed I was a drama queen and they had much more important issues to deal with.

I felt so embarressed. Crucially, I was never signposted on to any helpful organisations or forums such as this. Also, I was simply never offered reassurance by a member of staff in A&E on the NUMEROUS ( :rolleyes: ) times I've been there. Forget job titles and prejudiced views...from one human being to another, a simple 'I'm sorry you're going through this, let me reassure you there are people who can support you' would have worked wonders. I ended up moving back home with my parents.

I think its great you're adopting this attitude Maz, it will mean so much if you can offer patients with MH issues some reassurance and basic kindness. Am just so sorry you found this place when you are trying to deal with issues of your own!! I really hope you find support here. There's always someone here if you want to talk xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx

huggles (((((lawrence))))) cheer up its such a... oh wait it raining :angry: care to get a colouring in book? i want to colour in bunnies :D

huggles (((((lawrence))))) cheer up its such a... oh wait it raining :angry: care to get a colouring in book? i want to colour in bunnies :D

Hi and thank you and how 'sweet' a thought. I have resorted which I do in these situations, pour a rather large scotch, take another 10 mg (Diazepam)or so, and knock myself out cold, when I awake it's then usually past, and I can breathe (properly again) a sigh of relief, and carry on again and face the next day, but colouring in bunnies, does sound tempting lol. >>>> Lawrence

im not allowed medication... due to recent problems with my mood... but how about a vodka and redbull? i could do with some of that :) you say u can "breathe again", do you get panic attacks? cos i literally just had one walking back from the shops lol and yes colouring in bunnies... or sunflowers... your choice :) x

Hi maz1967

In my years of experience with front line paramedics and ambulance crews etcetera. I have usually had a positive experience. By the nature of your job, you have to try your best to be understanding, reassuring a person who I’m sure you have experienced is experiencing great personal distress, often as you have stated outside of your ability to understand, as I am guessing, you are mostly trained for physiological trauma, rather than mental health trauma.

I’m not whining about the lack of services for people with mental health problems, but again I just have to state it as it is, crisis management services for MH services leaves a lot to be desired.

I’m actually in a crisis situation today, already taken 50 mg of Diazepam to try and keep myself calm, and not spiral into severe anxiety/depression, I have nowhere to turn, I have never posted here previously stating that I’m feeling awful, and ‘feel like shouting, HELP please to someone. If my anxiety gets out of hand then I start to experience AF and eventually my heart will get so bad, I can black out, and end up having to call emergency services for help. A very expensive option for a stretched NHS, one that I care about, and try my best to avoid that situation at all costs.

I do think the NHS, should have in place dedicated paramedics especially trained, who can turn up, spend an hour perhaps,( meaning a single individual) doing what they can be good at and trained to do, and help persons such as myself today, without costing the NHS, goodness knows how much, an ambulance crew to a hospital, the time of doctors and nursing staff and the time taken up in an A&E so desperately needed by individuals, with broken arms and bleeding awaiting in the waiting room. All because in the main paramedics often don’t know how to deal with individuals with mental health problems.

I hope this post is not seen as hi-jacking it. Your words have ‘kinda’ triggered my response.

...and welcome btw.. your post is positive and encouraging to learn that some front line paramedics are interested in doing their job better.

Lawrence

Thanks for the support hunny its nice to know that you have been treated well, but you are so right about there being little or no support for people with MH issues. Please be assured that its not that we done care we just don't know HOW to care for these types of pt's and that's why I have asked for peoples feedback. It might help you to know that I recently did some advanced training and am now what they call a COMMUNITY PARAMEDIC. this means I go out in a car as a rapid response. It also means that if I come across a mental health or even a social issue, I can stay with the pt for as long as it takes.

im not allowed medication... due to recent problems with my mood... but how about a vodka and redbull? i could do with some of that :) you say u can "breathe again", do you get panic attacks? cos i literally just had one walking back from the shops lol and yes colouring in bunnies... or sunflowers... your choice :) x

HI again, I'm ok ..well meaning about medication of which I get prescribed a huge amount of, I feel I must rattle sometimes lol. 'They' know that if I am faced with the worst feelings I will always seeks help, hence they trust me (now) with having 'meds' about. Gosh 'Redbull', have slightly funny story abt that. I never knew it contained caffeine, went clubbing in London with friend drank V & Redbull, OMG I was so ill, and ended up being rushed to hospital as my heart was going crazy at the time. Yes I along with many here probably experience really awful anxiety, and cannot recommend that you drink anything with caffeine in it. Strange that you have mood disorder, usually if they consider you at risk they arrange that you can have access to small amounts of 'meds' to help, of which they do in my exp. The scotch and Diazepam is starting to calm me at last, today has been awful. You have made me smile, thank you, when you think of bunnies and sunflowers, you cannot help but feel happy :) and the virtual hug is most appreciated >>>> Lawrence

Hi maz1967

Lawrence

Thanks for the support hunny its nice to know that you have been treated well, but you are so right about there being little or no support for people with MH issues. Please be assured that its not that we done care we just don't know HOW to care for these types of pt's and that's why I have asked for peoples feedback. It might help you to know that I recently did some advanced training and am now what they call a COMMUNITY PARAMEDIC. this means I go out in a car as a rapid response. It also means that if I come across a mental health or even a social issue, I can stay with the pt for as long as it takes.

Gosh I wish we had that here (Cardiff), that would be amazing >>>> Lawrence

hi Maz

The treatment I've received at A&E over the last ten years has been at the very best patronising and at worst vicious. I started getting panic attacks ten years ago and had UTTERLY NO IDEA what they were, so admitted myself to A&E a few times convinced I was going mad, having a heart attack, anaphaylactic shock, blah blah...on most occasions I was tutted at, sighed at, called 'another Ally McBeal wannabe' (???!!) and even called a stupid girl. No one explained what was happening, they just assumed I was a drama queen and they had much more important issues to deal with.

I felt so embarressed. Crucially, I was never signposted on to any helpful organisations or forums such as this. Also, I was simply never offered reassurance by a member of staff in A&E on the NUMEROUS ( :rolleyes: ) times I've been there. Forget job titles and prejudiced views...from one human being to another, a simple 'I'm sorry you're going through this, let me reassure you there are people who can support you' would have worked wonders. I ended up moving back home with my parents.

I think its great you're adopting this attitude Maz, it will mean so much if you can offer patients with MH issues some reassurance and basic kindness. Am just so sorry you found this place when you are trying to deal with issues of your own!! I really hope you find support here. There's always someone here if you want to talk xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx

Thank you hunny for your insights, I will make it my mission to find alternative pathways for MH pt's where they can find the help and support they need, Oh and I will definitely be recommending this website to my pt's too I think it could help them allot

Hi maz1967

Lawrence

I think they are on there way in all the services, its all to do with trying to deal with the over crowding in hospitals the more people we can treat at home the better, we do all sorts of things now, from catheterization to suturing and delivering babies,as well as everything else lol

Hi maz1967

Lawrence

I think they are on there way in all the services, its all to do with trying to deal with the over crowding in hospitals the more people we can treat at home the better, we do all sorts of things now, from catheterization to suturing and delivering babies,as well as everything else lol

Hi and cool, I wish so much it will be rolled out here ASAP, as I am so disillusioned and fed up with the lack of services here I am seriously now considering moving from here, it's not the only reason, but it's one near the top of my priorities to be considering such a traumatic thing to be doing now to try and help myself find a way to 'feel' and get better. I have just learned that the NHS (MH) here has to cut their budget by 10% a year for the next 3 years! Things are really bad here already, I don't want to be her in 3 years time after a 30% cut in MH NHS budget cuts. >>>> Lawrence

have not had hosp dealings with mh

but must say maz

you are a special person

and those that you are called to are futunate indeed

have read your posts

but be assured that if you were not there doing that job , many, many, many more people would be suffering

it is good to hear your level of respect and understanding

HI again, I'm ok ..well meaning about medication of which I get prescribed a huge amount of, I feel I must rattle sometimes lol. 'They' know that if I am faced with the worst feelings I will always seeks help, hence they trust me (now) with having 'meds' about. Gosh 'Redbull', have slightly funny story abt that. I never knew it contained caffeine, went clubbing in London with friend drank V & Redbull, OMG I was so ill, and ended up being rushed to hospital as my heart was going crazy at the time. Yes I along with many here probably experience really awful anxiety, and cannot recommend that you drink anything with caffeine in it. Strange that you have mood disorder, usually if they consider you at risk they arrange that you can have access to small amounts of 'meds' to help, of which they do in my exp. The scotch and Diazepam is starting to calm me at last, today has been awful. You have made me smile, thank you, when you think of bunnies and sunflowers, you cannot help but feel happy :) and the virtual hug is most appreciated >>>> Lawrence

tis ok huni, no they dont seem to think that meds will help me as im doing DBT and that is all about the "mindfulness" meditation etc... kinda hard when you`re thoughts are rushing at 180mph or more! yes i have panice disorder aswell as BPD and APD, but my therapist seems to think that giving me medication while im currently going through a tough time, dissasociating alot, and self harming and overdosing (not always when im in control i might add!) that it wouldnt be the best option. which i find even more annoying because when i do try to call her she doesnt answer anyway! and i live alone so kinda hard to distract myself with a rant... which is why i burden these lovely people with my issues sometimes, and yet i feel so guilty about it... but yes bunnies and sunflowers brighten anyones day :) if i was near you id pop in and give you some :) but until then

lynn-m-stone-new-zealand-rabbit-in-.jpg

tis ok huni, no they dont seem to think that meds will help me as im doing DBT and that is all about the "mindfulness" meditation etc... kinda hard when you`re thoughts are rushing at 180mph or more! yes i have panice disorder aswell as BPD and APD, but my therapist seems to think that giving me medication while im currently going through a tough time, dissasociating alot, and self harming and overdosing (not always when im in control i might add!) that it wouldnt be the best option. which i find even more annoying because when i do try to call her she doesnt answer anyway! and i live alone so kinda hard to distract myself with a rant... which is why i burden these lovely people with my issues sometimes, and yet i feel so guilty about it... but yes bunnies and sunflowers brighten anyones day :) if i was near you id pop in and give you some :) but until then

lynn-m-stone-new-zealand-rabbit-in-.jpg

Hi and thank you for enlightening me/us to your personal circumstances. I'm like you in two respects at least. One I do not like burdening others, and I live alone too. I live alone now out of choice, but conversely, I'm not naturally a loner, rather experience of others has been so destructive to me, the only way I found I could protect myself, was to withdraw. This may sound, well I just say it. I cannot go anywhere without people wanting me, I'm far from ugly but not an Adonis lol, I think my personality is what draws people to me. I ended up a few years ago now not wanting anyone to want me, so I let myself go as it were, and it worked to a point. I don't usually find a natural affinity with girls/females, here for some reason it's the first time ever, yes ever in my life where females I have found I am able to communicate with. I feel comfortable to talk to, and listen to your gender point of view. It's complex for me, so if it's not understandable to you then, just forget I said it lol. >>>> Lawrence

PS: thanks for the really cute pics :)

I tell you something that i notice every time we go to A & E with selfharming or ODing they dont see for hours and hours yes understand blood tests have to be taken i think 4 hours later and heart trace etc and then you get assessed by a doctor who sends someone home with autism and BPD but saying ' go and see your doctor' to get not seen until 4 months later, to Gp not allowing me to see them about it. Oh and we get sent home with the meds do they seriously think that is sensible

And being discharged at times like 3.30 am, with no money, and told to wait in the waiting room until someone comes and gets you, when you are distraught.

And being discharged at times like 3.30 am, with no money, and told to wait in the waiting room until someone comes and gets you, when you are distraught.

HI that’s totally awful. Yes ok someone needed your bed. That is no reason to be treated to terribly.

I once got involved in a panel of mental health users versus mental health services, it was an initiative to improve MH services for end users in a part of London I was living at the time. I am proud to say, that my most vocal and vociferous approach to this whole area, improved MH services hugely and at no cost, rather it was using resources in a more effective user orientated way, rather than being dictated from the top down.

Ok Back your case in point. I always try wherever I live to encourage MH services to see that every part of your treatment and the way you are dealt with is a part of your overall treatment and well being. The cost of which, such as getting you a cab home, which would have left you for example feeling very positive, towards the MH services in your area, and consequently leaving you feel you was cared for. That in turns makes you feel secure, in turn makes you feel better. The likely hood of such approaches to individuals in the longer term, would actually cost the NHS less, as end users start to feel, I’m worth caring for, the system cares about me, which in turn leaves you not worrying rather much more confident, that if something goes wrong, you’ll be ok. That alone can allow you the confidence to actually start feeling better, because you know that there is a cool safety net, there to protect and look after you. The safety net will allow you to be much more confident to make progress.

Does the NHS approach MH patients with this approach, no they don’t but I know already that many here understand this and will agree. If only here amongst the membership of this forum was a one single government minister working within the NHS, who could understand this, and we could see huge jumps and leaps forward in the quality of care within MH services, but even in the short term see the cost effectiveness of providing decent human orientated care for MH end users.

End of rant lol.

Lawrence

A good rant, Lawrence, and all very true. Time and time again we see the most vulnerable members of our society, those with MH issues and learning disabilities being side-lined. Through lack of training, and therefore understanding of the issue we face, lack of co-operation between various agencies and departments, we continue to suffer unecessarily. So often we feel no-one cares.

and agrees with u there kalico. ive been in that time situation- get told to get taxi home or expected to walk home grr.

I can't really answer for what happens in the hospitals, but as we are the first on scene what I would like to know is, What can I do for you, What would you like to happen when you have to call an ambulance, how do you feel, what are you going through, and what do you want them to do for you?

Archived