Mental Health Forums

Please Help Me To Help Others

maz1967

also...

ist2_11290846-white-mini-rex-rabbit.jpg

rabbit66_1024x768.jpg

i know not sunflowers.. but still cute

I'm sorry but we aren't allowed to carry LOVELY FLUFFY BUNNY'S, not prescribe them on the NHSxx

WHY ARENT WE ALLOWED THEM PRESCRIBED????!!!!! :angry:

perhaps just some cute little pics on the ceiling of the abulance will cheer us up? or the cat on the branch saying hang in there... give not just people with MH something to laugh at but also those that have other injuries, as a positive outlook helps to recover quicker? as my nan used to tell me it all about how you feel and your body will react, we only notice how we feel because of our physical symptoms... god im sounding like my therapist lol

Lawrence - kinda hard not to listen to females with BPD as 75% of diagnosed BPD cases are women :P but yes i perfectly understand, when i broke up with my ex and told him to move out i got so fed up with people trying to chat me up or trying to have sex with my that i cut my hair really short and then starting wearing very boy-ish clothes and doing weights so that my arms are getting a bit bigger, i got told that alot of people do this when come out of a relationship and because i was on my own i deemed women as "weak" so i put on a masculine front to seem "strong" and would also mean i wouldnt get chatted up half as much, so i would be left alone a) because i looked like a boy B) cos they thought i was a lesbian c) because my build is not a bit more muscular :) so kinda like a self defense to make ourself look something that we know the other half wont find attractive so that they will leave us alone, so i get what ya saying hun x

Hi I'm a front line Paramedic, I joined this website because I am having some anxiety and depression issues.

But having sat and read some of your posts it struck me that the training given to us on mental health issues is grossly inadequate. There is just so much I don't know or understand.

I thought to myself who better to ask than the people who suffer (like me), since I started to suffer from anxiety and panic attacks my treatment of my patients with these problems has improved ten fold, because now I understand more about how it feels and how to help.

They say you need to walk a mile in another man's shoes before you can understand him, well I have to say that I don't really want to walk in anyone else's shoes (I have enough problems of my own at the moment) but If I can learn a bit more from you guys about how your illnesses affect you and how I as a health care professional can help in any small way then it will make me a better Paramedic and hopefully improve my treatment of my patients.

so please feel free to tell me what it is you suffer from, how it affects you and how I could help you if called upon.

thanks

Alrite Maz... Now I have to say, All the Paramedics, Who have come out to me and took me in... Have been really nice, I had one lady who was a bitch to me when I was being took in... But half the time, I can't remember going in...

Last time when I went in the Paramedic lady was really nice and sweet, She spoke with me all the way there and I told her some things and she was putting on my notes that it would be best if its only women who come out to me or a male and a female just not males on their own...

Now if we talk about once we get in A&E, Hmmmm not all nurse's will be nice to any one who tries to take their own life... If we think about it now, I bet they get pissed off with people who try and do themselves in, When they have other people who're sick and dying from an illness...

I know we don't just OD or SH for attention but some people do, And I can see and understand why they like that with us... But at the end of the day, They look after us, Yes may not always be right or help us, But they is only so much the nurse's can do for us...

It doesn't give the nurse's the right to be rude to us or any thing...

I've been lucky enough you could say, That when I've been took in and thn be allowed to go home, I don't have money on me or any thing and they pay for a taxi for me to get home...

Any way that is my 2cents worth for you... And welcome Maz...

I have had only one mental episode where I needed Paramedics, and that was a severe depressive panic attack last October. The paramedics were awesome, I couldn't breath, they gave me oxygen, asked me if I wanted to go to the hospital. They were real neat.

I have had only one mental episode where I needed Paramedics, and that was a severe depressive panic attack last October. The paramedics were awesome, I couldn't breath, they gave me oxygen, asked me if I wanted to go to the hospital. They were real neat.

Hi

To call an ambulance is such circumstances, in my experience, is a very traumatic event in itself. Which can and does push you over the edge, you don't want the fuss, but also realise you're in trouble, and need help, but an ambulance crew on some occasions are not what we always need. The paramedic here, stated that wherever that person lives offers a more personal 121 service for MH patients. Where a specially trained individual can turn up, quietly in a car, and spend some time with you. This is often all many of these types of scenarios need. I stated previously in this thread, "I wish they would roll out the scheme here in Cardiff, where I live".

I have spent many a day, in terrible trouble, for example I ran out of medication over a weekend period, and OMG was I so ill one Sunday recently, I was on the verge of a 999, but drank a bottle of scotch instead, as I didn't want to trouble anyone, it helped me get past the day, but how uncool was that. If the type of service was available here, I could have called for help, the person could have arranged access to a 24 hour medication until I could get to my GP. Compare the cost to the NHS, and the cost to myself, in terms of my general health and well being.

To the person asking here, what do we need so you can do your job better. The answer, is a complete overhaul in the manner in which MH patients, are dealt with. I have been a very strong advocate for years that MH patients/claimants should for example have a totally separate department/benefit organisation to access state benefits, but no the same individuals dealing with your lazy bums, deal with quite complex situations of individuals who are suffering quite complex MH problems. I find that astonishing to say the least. Same goes for emergency health care access, how many NHS trusts have in place adequate, and more importantly appropriate emergency access to help and assistance to me/us here.

>>>> Lawrence

Hi, just want to says thank you for taking the time. What would help would not to be treated badly by police. I am a really gentle person but one time i had locked my self away and taken an od with alch. The police were called and didn't stop to talk to me they just bashed the door down and broke my elbow. The handcuffed me so tight both my arms blew up like balloons, when the medics came, nobody told me what they were going to do so I panicked and tried to get away. None of the nurses spoke to me and it was hours until my H came and asked them to take the cuffs off. I was reated like the dirt on someones shoe but if anyone had known what I was feeling surely you wouldn't do that. My last trip in an abmulance I was completely ignored and the police officer and ambulance talked french the whole way to each other because they knew I couldn't understand. I would have gone to hospital in the car with my Husband but they would not let me. This was proccedure and I had no choice. I'm sorry if I'm going on I sincerely wish that you feel less anxious soon.

Bumble x

Hi, just want to says thank you for taking the time. What would help would not to be treated badly by police. I am a really gentle person but one time i had locked my self away and taken an od with alch. The police were called and didn't stop to talk to me they just bashed the door down and broke my elbow. The handcuffed me so tight both my arms blew up like balloons, when the medics came, nobody told me what they were going to do so I panicked and tried to get away. None of the nurses spoke to me and it was hours until my H came and asked them to take the cuffs off. I was reated like the dirt on someones shoe but if anyone had known what I was feeling surely you wouldn't do that. My last trip in an abmulance I was completely ignored and the police officer and ambulance talked french the whole way to each other because they knew I couldn't understand. I would have gone to hospital in the car with my Husband but they would not let me. This was proccedure and I had no choice. I'm sorry if I'm going on I sincerely wish that you feel less anxious soon.

Bumble x

OMG what a terrible experience for you, we need better than this. I was robbed recently at a cash point, yes a so called friend, who took advantage of my being, and problems. The police eventually didn't pursue the matter, as I was regarded as an unreliable witness due to ...you guessed it I suppose. No where near as bad as your experience but there is something very wrong in our society that does not respect our dignity and right to be treated properly in context to our MH problems.

I hope the scar left by such an experience heals, and you will feel better about it all ASAP.

>>>>Lawrence

Maz.

It's so reassuring that you are trying to understand the need of MH patients, We need nore like you across the whole of the NHS.

I have only one experience of being taken in an ambulance to hospital following an OD. My hubby called (I would have rather died, that's why I did it in the first place).

No-one even turned up for over an hour but that was because apparently the Police have to be there at the same time and the two agancies couln't get the appropriate people for over an hour. I can understand in a way, I really didn't wan't to go to hospital but had a choice, be arrested for my own safety or get admitted overnight, I chose the latter. Luckily I hadn't taken enough to do any permanent damage.

I just wonder what happens to p/t's who really have done serious damage to themselves and have to wait for so long.

Anyway, the paramedics who came were very nice but obviously had no understanding of how I was feeling. Once in the ambulance they had a laugh and a joke with each other whilst totally ignoring me, then dropped me offf in A&E & left. Don't get me wrong, they were lovely people and extremely professional but just had no idea on MH issues. When a p/t is that low sometimes just a touch or a smile to show caring, would be a great help. Someone else mentioned that our behaviour at the time may not be brilliant, obnoxious, angry, argumentative but that is not the person we are, it's just how we feel at that time.

Unfortunately, A&E staff and ward staff didn't give a damn. A woman came to assess me and asked "Will you do this again". Well I just said "what the fuck do you care" and she walked away. I was left on a bed with no blanket, shivering in my jacket all night, with a saline drip which blocked up and was only sorted when I needed to go the bathroom about 5 hours later.

I do think it would be great to have specially trained MH aware paramedics who could make us feel safe and cared for from the outset as opposed to being a nuisance and wasting people's time.

x

hi maz, firstly i found the paramedic, that responded to me - rapid response so only one, very good, he tried to engage me and stop me from stressing, and didnt leave me til handed over to a&e staff, and put in my own side room, where i was left alone! but that was a&e fault not his.

however on medicial assessment ward, my confidential infromation was screamed down the entire ward by one of the ward sisters and nurses, cos i was paranoid i was going to see my cpn who i didnt like, thought i heard her voice, and cos i asked a few times they screamed it down the ward! i was seeing a pyschiatric consultant. i did make an informal complaint (the other ward sister found out as was telling pyschiatrist was gonna walk, when still needed treatment due to the treatment i got). but then if i said was not told something, you could hear them out side my room saying she knew. was re bloods i knew clotting not right, but didntknow if too fast or slow, i didnt understand. finally rang buzzer and got a lovely nurse who i explained what i did and didnt know and she explained in lay mens terms the rest!

some of other nurses had called me weird - on hand over, cos i had been hidding my phone, as horrible ward sister told me off for using it, but other ward sister said i was allowed it to be used as long as on silent so i was weird.

cad

I didn't call an ambulance the old bill did!

Oh I've been lucky so far, I have never had the coppers ring one on me... But I've had the Crisis Team call one of me :angry: ...

it was nhs direct that rang mine (ex best mate rang them), and t nearly did, convinced her otherwise but she said neva again would she let me go.

My experience with paraemedics has always been great. Never judgemental. I think you guys do an amazing job. you sound like you do a great job already. Just treat your patients the way you would want to be treated.

xx

I had a not too good experience with a paramedic once, but on reflection, I could see her point.

I got the paremedics out because I wanted to be admitted to a psych ward and said i was suicidal. The para phoned crisis team who werent much help.

I would just say that all mentally ill people, including the drunken aggressive ones, are all distressed people who need empathy and sympathy. I know it must be hard if some are in an aggressive mode, but thats just another symptom of mental illness.

Archived