Mental Health Forums

Well Hello There

adzcriz

My name is adam, im 25 from Redruth, Cornwall UK

My therapist has me joining a few forums as part of my self help bit while i wait for CBT etc, theres not that much to say, i have agoraphobia, stress, anxiety and depression brought on from a nervous breakdown, i have an online diary of sorts ive recently started, http://adzcriz.blogspot.com (nothing rude etc in it, clean and safe) it has a better detail of what im going through, so feel free to read etc

Thanks, ive found it oddly calming writing into it, just the motions of getting it off my chest to whomever wants to read it seems to make me feel just that lil bit better, and i dont have to face the embarrassment of talking to someone directly, (i get very shy, and my phobia makes travelling around the place practically impossible)

welcome huni, i personally dont have any experience with CBT as i do DBT but i hope that it works out for you babes. pm me if you ever feel the need :D x

I have no idea what CBT and DBT are either, im just told im going to have it lol, just finished my afternoon entry, on my hectic days i figure i write a few entries, that way i dont forget anything lol

CBT is cognative behavioural therapy and DBT is dialectual behaviouraly therapy (group stuff mainly) hope that helps... if not google it :D x

aparantly im going in for high intensity CBT, at least its not ECT, that definatly scares me

the electric thing? i wasnt even offered that as a option thank god. i dont personally understnad CBT as ive not done it, was offered it as a option but got told DBT would be more helpful for my BPD and APD x

DBT would be no good at the moment, big part of my agoraphobia is crowds, if they told me to do that group stuff i wouldnt turn up lol. id pass out before i left the house

the first few i missed too... i was just too nervous and if i missed one i was scared to go back to the next one, and its not big crowds, maxium is 6 service users and two therapists. and its not all teary and tell all the tales of how shit life is but more of a class where we learn skills on how to cope when we gett distressed :) x

even that size would put me off, being around men in that sort of enviroment aswel would,

its just finding common ground with people that will make you feel safe and perhaps less alone? that is what i found through DBT, i found that i wasnt the only one because we all have BPD and we could all relate? perhaps even finding a group by yourself and one that isnt part of your planned therapy may help? because then if you try one and dont like it you can give up without the threat of ending the therapy :) x

hi adam

welcome to the site.you'll find lots of support and friendliness here. have you tried the citizens advice bureau for help with your debts , they can negotiate with your landlord etc.....

take care

starry x

p.s. intersesting blog i'm glad it helps you x

CBT deals with depression and anxiety. DBT deals with personality disorders, it is not all group orientated there are also one to one sessions that run alongside the group stuff.

Anxiety is a pita, however if you can pinpoint what causes it you can work towards curing it.

my anxiety is caused by my agoraphobia mainly, also just about finished a history page on my blog, ages 1 to 16, its rather long and il eventually tweek it and edit it to make sure its more detailed etc, but it has part of the cause of my eventual agoraphobia.

its also the first time in 10 years that ive actually spoken of it, and not even my partner knows much of what happened back then

Your agoraphobia would have a cause though. What started it? When? Can you with the help of therapy resolve the issues?

im not totally sure exactly why im agoraphobic, i know part of it has to do with my childhood, http://adzcriz.blogspot.com/p/my-history-my-back-story-work-in.html

as for the other part, im guessing that i eventually became socially inept through my mistrust and delved into the computer more and more to escape everything, until i became a full blown agoraphobic

I can understand why you have, my doctor says I am partially agoraphobic, but I do not agree.

I choose to stay home, I am not scared to venture out.

I just don't want to.

its not the fear of going out that sets me off, its the fear of social things and being around other people, if i was in a park all on my own, id be comfortable, well to an extent, id constantly be looking around to make sure i was alone, its being in places where other people are for the most part.

I can understand that, I go to Tesco/Asda etc., most days I can walk about no problem, others if it is busy, I have to leave.

My most anxiety comes from not being in control. Having to go where I am not making the decisions as to when I can leave and what happens when I go there.

Increasingly more and more, I have no tolerance whatsoever for idiots, or people who think they have to explain something to me, when I could actually explain it to them in more detail. I don't suffer fools, and I can't abide sloppiness and things not being done properly. I get real pissed at myself too if I make mistakes.

I never used to be this bad, but have always hated tardiness.

I dunno, I just think me noodles are shot.

it varies on the situation, sometimes i get dizzy and anxious when i walk out of my door, and cant bear any public space, but generally its people focussed, and Agoraphobia isnt just the fear of open spaces, its a rather umbrella term, it can be the fear of crowds and people aswel, which is more related to what i suffer, my agoraphobia is this mainly

Any unknown public place that i have never been to, or not been to very much

Any place with crowds

Any place with more than a few people in a small area

Shopping high streets

Shops in general are a nightmare.

if my anxiety is up i wont leave my house period

Archived