Mental Health Forums

Antidepressant Tablets

abee.abee1991

My doctor is on about changing my antidepressants at my next appointment (this friday) as I am on fluoxetine 40mg but they are not working I have been on Fluoxetine for over a month now and 2 weeks ago my meds were doubled to 40mg, the only thing he said was that being as i am only 18 there are fewer types of antidepressants i am allowed to take. Can anybody give me some ideas of what other antidepressants are out there for my age as i would like to research these on the internet about side effects as i got side effects from fluoxetine. I am on antidepressants due to my mothers death in January this year. Please help I have never been on antidepressants before all this happened.

Thanks Abi

venelafaxine* also doseulapin, i was on when i was 18/19 but ultimately your GP should give you an alternative... i take it the first thing he stuck you on was prozac? i then went on to the venelafaxine and no side affects that i could notice :) x

Hi there, irrespective of the side effects, all medication works differently for us all.

If your meds are not doing there job that it seems the right thing to do that your doctor changes them.

Whilst I have only had side effects with one set of tablets, others would either have none at all, or side effects with everything they take.

Has your GP referred you for Bereavement Counselling as this would be the better option for you, talking therapy as opposed to swallowing tablets which invariably will only dull the pain not make it go away.

neko - yes prozac was what i was put straight onto

sioux - my doctor keeps mentioning about counselling but i do not want this. i have many reasons for this..

I have an image in mind (one of the reason I don't want to) is a small room with a couch and he/she is sat in a chair just taking notes – like you see in movies/programs (sounds stupid when you write it). Plus part of my dyslexia I don't like talking to people face to face especially if it is someone I don't know. (Why I find it easier to write notes for appointments or just emailing/writing things)

they give out prozac like candy hun as soon as u turn 18 and say you`re depressed you get given it, because they are sponsored usually by it... you`ll see the pens and coasters :) counselling isnt always like that... my therapist lets me doodle and write sometimes and doesnt have a go at you... and eventually you`ll feel comfortable enough to start talking properly, obviously let them know of your fears and they will be understanding :) x

Hey honey it is not a small room, no couch, you don't lie down, there isn't even a desk you on the same level sitting.

Because they don't know you it is easier to talk. In order to get through the grief sometimes it is easier to talk to someone who has no prior knowledge of you. Because they have no expectations they never judge.

My daughter is on Effexor. She is 20. I don't know the real name, that's the trade name. I would think citalapram, one of the newer SSRi's without too many side effects would be another choice. It worked for me for 10 years in a combination with other meds.

hey abi - so sorry about your mum *hugs*

some doctors prefer to prescribe the new ssri's cos they are less fatal in od - which is why they dont like prescribing the old tri-cyclics anymore... which imo is a shame cos they are better... but c'est la vie...

i would go for the counselling tho as well... cos yeah, the ad's will numb yuo and stuff, but you really do need to deal with the feelings eventually - but in your own time... only you will know when you are ready for that stuff... i have been seeing my counsellor since august and she has never written a thing the entire time - she LISTENS instead...

im sorry about your mum *hugs*

there are so many different antidepressants around, and everyone reacts differently to them soits hard to offer many suggestions. citalopram is probably the next one your doc will try, as it seems to be the way they go for some reason. i cant advise on this or some others because i reacted badly to them all, but i would advise talking to your doc about any concerns you have.

as for the counselling, trust me, its nothing like the movies! ive been going for a year and have found it so much more helpful than any pills.....the woman i see operates from home, so its just the 2 of us sitting by the fire in her living room. theres no note taking, no hard questioning and no hassle - its just a safe face to talk feelings over. best way i can describe it, is its like chatting to your best mate but they dont tell you after 10 mins to shut up and pour a large one!lol! it can be so much easier to speak to someone who doesnt know you, but you know is on your side.

best wishes xxx

not sure which they do suggest for your age, but i take venlafaxine, doesnt work for me, but if i forget it, i start feeling dzzy and that is after just missing one days worth, and can hardly stand from fear of falling over. so if they put u on this try not to forget it.

Cadance if it is not working, then the doseage is wrong. I take that too and my depression has gone.

hi sioux, battling for them to change it/up dose, think they are scared due to OD, getting 2nd opinion on wed, as sick of been on med that doesnt work, happy for me to stop taking it, once halluciantions stop ,but wont change it. at this rate will be playing gp off against pysch dr, given they dont communicate!

gp gave me amitriptyline at one point care co rapidly got that taken off me! due to its potential. and thats on weekly scripts 2.

yeah amitrip is tri-cyclic, as is dosulepin which was what i was on... BOY did i have to fight and beg to get that, and i dont even have a history of od !!!

yeah amitrip is tri-cyclic, as is dosulepin which was what i was on... BOY did i have to fight and beg to get that, and i dont even have a history of od !!!

i get given that regardless... was 3rd med i was on and i had history of od-ing i just said i couldnt sleep and i was depressed and that was first thing they put me on i was on 150mg a day :) x

gp knew my history it comes p as relevant info, as i know system they use from working as receptionist in gp, @(diff one) and she told me bout its potency, told her i would take the risk! care co was not impressed tho

back in '91 when i was at uni, i was on 150mg / day... when i went home for summer i was gonna run out as i was on monthly scripts, so i registered at local doc as a temp resident and they gave me 3 MONTHS supply... they dint even check with my doc or pdoc or anything... i just flashed my current bottle and they took it as read...

some gps just dont seem to care, do they? they give u stuff to easily OD on, but for me pysch limit my sleeping meds! so annoying

i get give the medical stuff that i need to give to gp... weird huh? lol when i overdosed a while ago and was in hospital they gave me this form thing to give to gp... never did cos never bin since...

Archived