Mental Health Forums

Forum Upgrade

Joshua

Hi

Today i upgraded the forums and many of its add ons. Below you will find details of these changes.....

IP.Board 3.1.0

Link Sharing

Easily share links from your community to Facebook, Twitter, and more. Great way to drive traffic to your community!

Status Updates

Enhancements to the existing member status system in IP.Board to include the ability to reply and more.

Topic Preview

Preview the first few lines of a topic without loading the entire topic.

View Reputation

Optionally allow your members to see who gave reputation points on their posts.

Twitter Integration

Your members can now link their account with their Twitter account!

Improved Facebook Integration

Further enhance the link between your community and Facebook to drive traffic. Including new Facebook Graph API

Profile Customizations: Part 1 and Part 2

Allow your members to customize the look and feel of their profile page.

Notification System

An easier way to be notified of all the various events that happen in your community. And Improvements

Search Engine Overhaul

Search engine rebuilt from the ground up introducing more flexibility and power.

Template Merge Tool

Merge skin changes between versions right in the AdminCP.

All new Mobile Skin

Mobile skin for many popular devices to enable easy access to your community.

IP.Chat 1.1.0

Chat Count and Private Chats

Show number of people in the room at top of page and support for private member-to-member chats.

Like the new look and features.....Thanks Josh :)

Do you know when chat might be up and running?

I was hoping that viewing and navigating your own blog would be back to a format where it was before. It is really helpful to be able to scroll down and see how your moods have been shifting through the week etc.... this is the main function I use on the site for my own self awareness. Since people with BPD are encouraged in T to keep a mood diary, I would think its function would seem obvious?

The columns and the hidden previews are not just off-putting and frustrating, they actually zig-zag by date/time, not even a standard journal format, like reading a newspaper. Standard western culture reads from left to right in a paragraph fashion. Can we possibly go back to this?

Sah

Other than that, It is nice to have upgrades but not at the cost of functionality, I think that has been a big trend in software design in recent years. So, thank you for the upgrades too.

• Like 2

I have enabled the reputation system. This allows users to rate how useful or not they have found others.

I think this will us all with how we are expereinced by others.

I know this may not be taken well right now but I would like to give it a go for some time.

• Like 2

so how does the reputation thing work? You add more or less numbers on the thread reply and it makes the rep go up and down?

CHAT IS FIXEDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDD

YAYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYY

oh im so happy with myself

so how does the reputation thing work? You add more or less numbers on the thread reply and it makes the rep go up and down?

No idea, lets play and see.

Cool... I like playing. Oh and another question, I have some friends popped up who aren't usually on my friends list but I can't find the button to remove them. Any ideas? xxx

WOOT I'm off to chat then.... x

If I am honest with you, I got a bit of a headache when i just entered the forum to find all these changes. I dont do very well with change unexpected to last minute. but it looks good

Link Sharing

Easily share links from your community to Facebook, Twitter, and more. Great way to drive traffic to your community!

This i find worrying, as Piuma also said. yes i have used fb, but upon further thought and a little research i am extremely suspicious of facebook. Its owner, Mark Zuckerberg is in his 30's, and was offered 1bn dollars for it a while back. He refused to sell.

I wonder why. -Maybe its the all the data - mining stats available from millions of ppl worldwide- slightly scary.

A lot of members post quite personal stuff here. A lot of members do not want all and sundry reading their posts which they have written trusting they will be only shared with other forum members.

maybe some ppl might be interested in this link about facebook - http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aT322GiT5lw&feature=related

Or this i found quite interesting as well : Report: Facebook CEO Mark Zuckerberg Doesn’t Believe In Privacy

Read More http://www.wired.com/epicenter/2010/04/report-facebook-ceo-mark-zuckerberg-doesnt-believe-in-privacy/#ixzz0nIWtX8nr

I would not post anything on facebook i didnt mind if the WHOLE WORLD knew about me. Advertisers, Government, my mother, my ex partner who i am in a custody case with. My ~(future)~ employer.

Even those quizzes- "What kind of criminal are you"- etc- you know the type- are you really sure you want to share that info with the whole world.

Mark Zucherberg does not believe in privacy- see links above. That worries me.

I am very very suspicious of these buttons that have appeared on this site re: Twitter, FB, Digg, etc.

I come here for support with some intensely private issues. If they were not so private to me, i'd post them on my facebook wall, using my full real name.

My sons use facebook. My 2 ex partners who i do NOT want to share any info with by any means!!!, both use facebook.

Can anybody make sence of the privacy settings on FB. If you can, fair play to you- no matter how long i tweaked with my priv. settings, I could not change some things from popping up - which i am not ready to share with my kids, ex,

etc.

After finding out these facts i was worried, and closed my fb account about 3 weeks ago.

I normally do not venture into the city, but had no choice last week, and while waiting around for 2 hours to be recalled into family law court in the afternoon i had a coffee in an outdoor part of a cafe on a busy Street.

By total coincidence, (i don't believe in 'coincidence, i believe in fate, or timely warnings...) I met a guy i was in school with , he used to be a landscape gardener, but with the boom economy he decided to do a Private investegator course, then became an apprentice to a PI. Yes, very James Bond. I was talking about tracing birthparents with him, but most work he does is about extra marital affairs, and spouses checking up on their exes pasts.

As well as Companies checking up on potential or current employees. The co. he works for also investigate insurance fraud.

I was facinated, especially when he said the net is his first port of call. With those games on fb, many ppl will friend you just so you will send them a "gift" regularly on farmville, vamp wars etc.

This is called a 'social hack', there are also a few "industry hacks" on how to access ppls fb pages, status, friends, etc. He wouldnt elaborate as he had to go. But i was glad i'd spoken to him, In the past few months ive been deleting my fb acc, then re-opening it to talk with some of you guys.

Needless to say, i will not be re-joining fb. And a fb logo below posts scares the shit out of me.

"Being paranoid is simply knowing all the facts"- W. Burroughs. I think its very true.

I am definitely going to be more conservative about posting personal information, or even views if there is a FB logo underneath!

Take care and be safe, Kitteh. x

love the mobile skin... :) will comment on the rest later... Ty josh xxx

• Like 2

I removed link sharing, I also agree that this really doesent seem the place for them. I may reconsider this but for now my initial thoughts are we can do without them.

• Like 3

I would

like an iPhone friendly option these are very easy and would make using here quicker. The mobile

friendly option is

dated!! So please

consider bringing it into the realms

of 21st century like all the rest of the forum. iPhone users are millions of people.. I happen to be one!

Bb x

• Like 1

I used my iPod Touch to browse it and was perfectly satisfied with the mobile version, it's very good compared with some forums' mobile software.

Edited by Arrakis
  • Like 1

There are

easy to

install

iPhone plugins that I feel

would

enhance the browse why should

I

settle for no pictures or graphics when these things are do freely used on other forums...

If you don't like the iPhone version, don't use it. No one other than you so far has complained about it, actually a lot of people were commending the mobile version. Why should Joshua foot the bill for something entirely non-compulsory when he does so much for us already? beggars can't be choosers.

Edited by Arrakis
  • Like 1