Mental Health Forums

Whats The Reputation Thing All About?

tearstained

This upsets me so much. Why cause people needless pain and anguish by playing these childish and damaging games. It makes my fucking blood boil.

• Replies 104
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I've been watching this reputation thing,I am furious i have just read a post in crisis and someone has a minus for giving good advice,I can see why people are going mad on this :(

The forum does not have the emotional maturity to handle a reputation system. It is clearly obvious. Its intention, though well meaning and workable, cannot work when it is so open to abuse.

Especially when this is a mental health forum where people seek validation constantly and have paranoia - negative reputation only invalidates people who try to be well meaning and amke people more paranoid that people are ganging up on them

We should have a poll on who wants it and who doesnt, the mods should make a decision on whether to keep it on not on that!

i can see the point of having reputation points, but its so open to abuse i personally dont think its a great idea for a forum like this where so many sensitive topics are raised.

i think its quite good to know who is friendly/informed/has good advice etc, so how about the points only being issued by the thread starter..... a bit like how yahoo answers works? that would stop the trolls or members with differing opinions abusing the system.....just a thought xxx

just a thought - how about people going back to just thanking people for good advice rather than clicking a button anonymously...

basic manners cost nothing...

it also reinforces the community spirit that this place used to have loads of, now sadly not as much...

we are sposed to be supporting people to help them rather than point scoring - yeah...??????

i know that i stifle my posts now rather than say what i actually wanna say for fear of being -1'd...

we live in fear and wear masks enough irl, this place is sposed to be safe... i feel that the reputation system removes some of that safety that the members here rely on...

again, just my opinion...

Josh... please reconsider removing this feature... you gave it a go... imo it causes more harm than any good it may do...

Thank you tearstained! :)

I 1+ yours when I saw you got marked down just for giving your opinion. I think Evil chips is right, simply thanking people is so much nicer. :) xx

Thank you tearstained! :)

I 1+ yours when I saw you got marked down just for giving your opinion. I think Evil chips is right, simply thanking people is so much nicer. :) xx

This thread has become a long and healthy deabate into the pros a cons of the reputation system. Personally I can see it could, in theory be a good idea. People like to be rewarded and praised. It gives you nice glowy feeling when you see a little green 1. It acts as a positive reinforcer, and encourages you to be more supportive. It raises self esteem.

However, but the longer this thread gets the more I am convinced that the system on this forum will be more detrimental than beneficial. We have already seen deliberate -1 of posts by someone out to cause trouble. I saw one reply that got a +1, then a few posts later, someone who is less popular got a -1 for saying exactly the same thing. It is arbituary and confusing. You don't know what the reader had in mind when they marked. Did they not like the message, the tone, the member?

Who is to say someone who gives a hug is less supporting than someone who gives a five page reply (not personal to any particular member btw). There are people who consistantly reply to posts, with a few words of support, who have less points than others who write the occassional reply, like myself. Why do I deserve more points than them? I don't. With the exception of a minority, we all do what we feel able to do, for the benefit of others.

I agree with Chips that a comment about the replies to posts is enough. For those of us that struggle in RL to put across our point appropriately, we are learning to say 'I don't agree' or 'thankyou for replying but your comment wasn't helpful', rather than just hitting the button impulsively because we are pissed off.

If the reputation button continues to be a feature I would like to see it as a + only, as then at least it cant be used as unfairly as having + and -. People would still be rewarded for giving their support. Just because you don't agree with someone, doesnt necessarily mean they are wrong, or that they are not entitled to their opinion, so why should they be marked down for it?

Take the rep thingy off!! Look at the upset its causing!

Please take it off, folks? xxxxxxxx

Leave it on for now... We need to give it a bit more time... The trolls/people who're voting others down because they don't like them ...

They'll get bored of it soon... So leave it, I say <_< ...

kalico i agree with u, if its about how supportive a person is, then just the +, but i dont think the application offers that?

As all of us have mental health issues, low self asteem, depression, aggression to all sorts, the - button isnt a good idea for us.

I know some say they dont look and hey i look because i want that - minus,but really it doesnt offer any kind of realism on what is going on or happening.

To me like the voice box, i would rather read the post and answer, but ive answered to the box and means less replies to a post due to well ive done it now, no need to basis. Not explaining well.

All these applications came out more for gamers and other instant updates needed in what is going on. To me this doesnt work with a website like this, or prob any forum like this. It just causes confusion.

We may like updates on applications or some dont, but these two i find unhelpfull to what we as a forum is trying to support.

och anyway, not really explaining right, it just feels wrong. I am up for change, i love it, but these 2 cause more harm than good. thats it, normal people, not black and white.

the whole thing makes me uncomfortable i mean im always worried no one likes me as it is tbh and now i may have proof so i cant just chalk it up to being paranoid it might be in black and white staring at me but i guess i just have to resist looking at it

well said and i agree xxxxxxx

Its clearly written how this system is supposed to work.

I think <puts hard hat on>, that the people who are giving inappropriate neg's could say as to why they are having their own difficulties with the system.

Perhaps there is a way to help them.

I don't think people giving inappropriate negatives are having difficulties understanding the system . I think they are well aware of what they are doing. Its like a little game for them, because they feel bad they want to make other people feel bad too.

Hi i agree with most everything said in the last 3 pages, basically that someones havin' a not very funny laff at most of our expenses, hitting the '- minus' button for no other reason than spite.

Like what BB says above, they know what they are doin, they are not 'stupid'.

Surely the admin must have some log of the members who use the system? Because i can't help feeling we are in some kind of 'experiment', and I for one, don't like the hurt and upset that it is causing.

Personally , I am not going to use it anymore. Its my choice.

If i like something said, i will say it, as chips suggested.

As another member-Gone, -said-these yokes, like shout box and ratings, are used by diff kinds of online community than this one. I agree with that.

For someone having a bad day, feeling that ppl here are 'against them' is not going to help them feel any better, is not going to make them post, its just negative.

Take care all, kitteh xoxo

Its clearly written how this system is supposed to work.

Erm..... where? Have I missed something? If so, then why?

I'm not having a go at you personally Bibiddi, I just don't get why we didn't all receive an email or something. Relying on reading a post to get what the whole system is about is hit and miss... I've give up reading all the posts on here because it's all fucked up at the moment.

Fingers crossed this place will all settle down whatever the system. I have had some blinding advice and support on here and I would most definately mark up a few posts for that very reason. However, I have myself been adding points to clearly negative votes myself and this is making the whole system even more fucked so I'm going to stay well away from the arguments among people and wait for common sense to win out!

:D

Hi Sophh. All posts are up for criticism/praise now, so something you posted like 6 months ago can be marked. All someone has to do is search your name and all your posts come up. x

Even though I am quite worried about being rejected by others by them giving me negative votes, I have vowed only to use if I am going to give someone's post a positive vote and never to negative anything. Its kind of my way of telling the poster that I liked it a lot!

This thread has become a long and healthy deabate into the pros a cons of the reputation system. Personally I can see it could, in theory be a good idea. People like to be rewarded and praised. It gives you nice glowy feeling when you see a little green 1. It acts as a positive reinforcer, and encourages you to be more supportive. It raises self esteem.

However, but the longer this thread gets the more I am convinced that the system on this forum will be more detrimental than beneficial. We have already seen deliberate -1 of posts by someone out to cause trouble. I saw one reply that got a +1, then a few posts later, someone who is less popular got a -1 for saying exactly the same thing. It is arbituary and confusing. You don't know what the reader had in mind when they marked. Did they not like the message, the tone, the member?

Who is to say someone who gives a hug is less supporting than someone who gives a five page reply (not personal to any particular member btw). There are people who consistantly reply to posts, with a few words of support, who have less points than others who write the occassional reply, like myself. Why do I deserve more points than them? I don't. With the exception of a minority, we all do what we feel able to do, for the benefit of others.

I agree with Chips that a comment about the replies to posts is enough. For those of us that struggle in RL to put across our point appropriately, we are learning to say 'I don't agree' or 'thankyou for replying but your comment wasn't helpful', rather than just hitting the button impulsively because we are pissed off.

If the reputation button continues to be a feature I would like to see it as a + only, as then at least it cant be used as unfairly as having + and -. People would still be rewarded for giving their support. Just because you don't agree with someone, doesnt necessarily mean they are wrong, or that they are not entitled to their opinion, so why should they be marked down for it?

Kalico said everything I am thinking on the subject.

Archived