Mental Health Forums

Reputation System

Joshua

I have taken into consideration some of your points about the new repuation system. I think its accurate to say there has been some controversy over the use of this system.

I would again like to say how important it is we are all able to take feedback from others and realise the impact we have on the lives of those around us and this system can be great for highlighting this, should it be used in the way its intended. I am simply not going to remvoe this feature at the first sign of trouble.

This being said I have made the following changes –

Users can now only leave a max of 10 positive and negative points per day (So use them wisely)

Users can now see who has left them feedback. (On your posts you can see this)

From this moment on – members who are found to misuse the system will face moderator action.

Then i havent achieved what i set out to do. Its not about stopping people from being negative. Positive and negative feedback is what this system is about and all of us having a bit of insight into how others around us perceive us.

• Like 2

yes i know, and its more fair now, will stop trolls from being negative for no reason thats what i ment, which is a good thing

I think the changes will actually make the system work. It will be easy to see who is abusing the system, and who is using it for what it is intended for. I applaud the changes. Neat.

I'm concerned as I put a couple of negatives on people's posts today and it may seem totally unfair to people. I just thought that the posts that I put negative on were aggressive and seemed to promote the fact that violence or being verbally aggressive/pushy/insulting were okay. That is all but I fear that the posters will maybe see it as me condemning them as people and I'm not. I'm now anticipating a ton of grief in return but there you go. I await a ton of negative points now.

thank you for listening joshua... i think the action you have taken is very fair...

obviously the reputation system has "extra features" that we were not previously aware of and the enabling of those features, along with the threat of moderator action for abusers should enable this to work as it is supposed to without being further abused...

Hey i just posted about the system a few mins ago , I had not seen this tho.

Yeah, that makes a lot more sense- the fact one can see who has left you pos/neg.

Hope it stops the messing around with the feature that has been going on,

cheers Josh. thanks badkitteh

PS, I never put any positive or negative before the 2 that I did today. I don't want people thinking that it was me who was messing around and playing mind games. It was not me.

Thanks.

Don't get this business, at all,seriously.

Why do people have to give a 'mark' or score next to a comment? Have I missed something? Why can't folk just post positive comments or constructive feedback? If people are abusing this forum, surely there are other ways of bringing people to task, rather than giving them a 'negative point'??

This is a supportive forum for people with MH issues. If someone has a bad day and posts something that others see as negative, they may feel mortified later.

Some of us can live without this reputation system, it makes no difference. However, others are genuinely upset and may be put off from coming here - surely thats more important than 'trying out' a system? We already have a system here of how people perceive us. Scoring people just seems a bit clinical.

**fedup! jumps down off soapbox** xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx

PS, I never put any positive or negative before the 2 that I did today. I don't want people thinking that it was me who was messing around and playing mind games. It was not me.

Thanks.

who was it then ?? only you should be using your account no-one else!!

• Like 2

Joshua - sorry about the negative vote. Actually I used up all of my 10 positive votes and wondered if I had any votes left at all so I tried a negative one and it took. I guess you get 10 positive and 10 negative votes - just experimenting - lol. Anyway, the reputation thing could be good in that people with BPD are often impulsive and this may make us think a bit more about the effect our post has on others before we post. We really need to support one another but it is important to think before acting. We will have to wait and see how this new feature pans out - take care - Detroitguy.

Don't get this business, at all,seriously.

Why do people have to give a 'mark' or score next to a comment? Have I missed something? Why can't folk just post positive comments or constructive feedback? If people are abusing this forum, surely there are other ways of bringing people to task, rather than giving them a 'negative point'??

This is a supportive forum for people with MH issues. If someone has a bad day and posts something that others see as negative, they may feel mortified later.

Some of us can live without this reputation system, it makes no difference. However, others are genuinely upset and may be put off from coming here - surely thats more important than 'trying out' a system? We already have a system here of how people perceive us. Scoring people just seems a bit clinical.

**fedup! jumps down off soapbox** xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx

BUMPS 2 this is most uncool >>>>Lawrence

I am glad to the changes have been made and hope this helps with what has been happening. I hope that it can be used in the way it was meant but know there will still be people who don't but at least now we can see who is doing it. I think that even if you don't agree with a post and mark it as a neg posting a reply as to would still be good so people understand why it has been done. I think it is still a wait and see what happens thing. Thanks for doing these extra features tho.

i think these changes will enable the system to be more like what it was intended to do - however im still neither for or against it in its current guise.

Hey there Cherry, seems we have got off on wrong foot a bit. I didn't mean anyone else had used my account, I meant that the only time I did any of the reputation marking was today. So all the comments in the other threads about this whole reputation thing saying that people were playing games and negatively marking anonymously and trying to upset people and what not, well it wasn't me doing any anonymous marks and I just wanted to make that clear as since I posted here saying why I'd marked negatively today, I didn't want anyone thinking it had been me previously. I don't believe in playing mind games with people, I think it is deceitful, hurtful and an unnecassary waste of time and energy when people can be kind and helpful to each other instead. I'm now wishing I'd not done any of the marks I did today as well, it's just not me really and I don't judge people in general and that, I guess, is what this whole reputation thing is, a judgement on people's character and how they post, how they word their replies.

I do think that now that it's not anonymous the reputation marking, that instead of it stopping the people who were just willy nilly handing out negative marks to people they didn't like or had a grudge against, that now the people who maybe have legitimate and healthier reasons for negatively marking something will keep quiet for fear of tit for tat repercusions and fallings out. Unfortunately on large forums such as this, I think that with so many different personalities on here that there will always be fallings out and people left hurt and angry or upset. Some shake that off better than others.

I know that for me, I came to this site to learn from others how they deal with their mental health issues and if and when I felt ready, I'd pop up and say something as I'm not the most confident of people. I'm one of those softly softly people and get anxious around aggressive behaviour either physical or verbal and am easily intimidated. All I can do is try my best to overcome those fears and we are all different.

I can say that I DO respect everyone here, I may be anxious around certain people's postings and how they word things but that's my thing to get over and I'll try.

I think it's a lot to do with give and take, there's going to be things that Joshua and others may decide is best for the forums and not everyone may like it. You can say that about anything in life though but there has to be give and take and inevitably not all of the people will be happy all of the time.

At the end of the day, everyone has their problems, everyone has their reasons for coming here and if people really are SO upset about the running of the forums, then there's always the option of not signing in here anymore and finding other online support.

Sorry that I went on and on and I still don't think I explained myself as I wanted to. What is in my head makes perfect sense to me but between there and what is coming out onto here is getting a bit muddled en route. I do apologise!!!

From this moment on – members who are found to misuse the system will face moderator action.

So you and the MOD's will be able to see who we vote down and up thn???...

I think that is unfair, If THAT is the case, Why not just let everyone see who has voted up and down, Like on FB with the " Like" button...

Because I think it still won't stop the " Trolls/people" doing what they have been doing already, They'll more than likely just think and work around it, So they don't get into trouble or find out, But will still vote people they don't like down...

But meh...

hi Josh,

quick Question, if u vote, and accidently click on the wrong button how do u change it cos the buttons are close together, i dont want to look like i have negatively voted someone when i was trying to give positive feedback? my laptop is quite sensitive on the mouse pad, so worried it could/ has happened and i wont even notice, til someone upset at me.

if it shows as neg feedback from me peeps, not intentionally given anyone neg feedback, take it as an attempt at positive, and pressed wrong button by mistake. cos i wont vote negatively.

can there be an option to change ur vote if necessary?

cad

I think that is unfair, If THAT is the case, Why not just let everyone see who has voted up and down, Like on FB with the " Like" button...

Because I think it still won't stop the " Trolls/people" doing what they have been doing already, They'll more than likely just think and work around it, So they don't get into trouble or find out, But will still vote people they don't like down...

But meh...

Hi Dice

everyone can see it - you just click on the little number and it comes up to tell you who voted what :)

But meh...

Hi Dice

everyone can see it - you just click on the little number and it comes up to tell you who voted what :)

Ah kool beans :) ... Nice one for letting me dude :D ...