Mental Health Forums

Anaemia

snowman

I donate blood regularly and I have never had anaemia.

Today I went and have been told I am quite anaemic and cant donate for now.

I have donated for years with no probs.

However since Dec I changed meds to duloxetine and quetiapine.

Could there be a link does anyone know???

Really frustrated and annoyed!!

I don't know bout the meds link but as a donor myself I know that the test they do in order to donate blood requires your haemoglobin level to be one whole point above acceptable at the doctors. So say the healthy range is above 11 (I think it is that now), the blood donor people will say you are anaemic if you are below 12. This was explained to me once because I came under and couldn't give blood. It needs to have a buffer cos having a pint less in your body is traumatic for it and you need to be super strong to re-build. Hope this helps. Go for the check up at docs and see what they say xxx

there can be a number of reasons why you are aneamic.

i am aneamic and take medication.try not to worry...

eat lots of cabbage :)

Well i wasn't anaemic before, but then i started amisulpride and paroxetine and now it's come back as i am anaemic. So i suppose meds can do that to you.

never heard of a med that would make u anemic, duloxotine which im on, never heard of an anti d or anti p to lower ur white blood or red cells.

maybe u need to talk to ur gp about it, and get tested in which vit ur aneamic with.

i have had 2 types of anemaia, one iron and b12 and not result of meds.

gl in finding out.

found this on the mighty google....

"Yes, medications can cause anemia for many different reasons. For example, chemotherapeutic agents often cause anemia because they the bone marrow's ability to manufacture red blood cells, hemoglobin is carried by RBC's, If there are not enough RBC's, the body does not get the right amount of oxygen. Other types of medication-induced anemia are usually unpredictable, and not well understood (such as drug induced aplastic anemia). Some patients react to drugs because of inherited susceptibility, such as patients with glucose-6-phosphate dehydrogenase (G-6-PD) deficiency. G-6-PD is an important enzyme that buffers the mature red cell against oxidative stress. In individuals who are deficient in G-6-PD, exposure to certain chemicals, drugs, or even some foods will result in the alteration of hemoglobin and breakdown of red blood cells".

Archived