Mental Health Forums

Advice On Counscelling

SusieQ

I'm going to see a new counscellor tommorrow. I've had problems with them in the past so I'm nervous.

I'm also really confused as to how to start things as my head is a total mush. I've tried writing stuff down but even then I go round in circles and have ended up writing pages and pages.

I know this is really general but any advice on this would be appreciated. I'm not very good at talking to my mates about stuff, let alone a total stranger.

hi, all i can say is that a good counsellor will help you to unfold what is on your mind, will be able to help you through your confuseion, where ever you start from there is no rush take your time and it is all your time :bigarmhug[1]: i hope this is helpful to you,

good luck and i hope that your new counsellor is the one for you (((hugs)))

Hey Antarctic Leech,

Interesting name btw! The one tip I have is don't overthink what you're going to say. It should just unfold and come naturally. Your counsellor, if they're any good, will be able to help you with this. So maybe now that you've written stuff down, put it aside and have a relaxing night.

All the best tomorrow.

xx

counsellors use many different methods, so hopefully the person you see tomorrow will work differently to the ones you have seen in the past. however, a good counsellor will be able to help you work things out...just go at your own pace. of course, if you dont feel relaxed in their company or feel you can trust them then thats going to make things a bit harder - perhaps you could start your session by explaining you havent had the best of counselling experiences in the past and that your a bit anxious. a good counsellor should be able to take that on board and do all they can to help you feel more comfortable.

i hope all goes well for you...i have an amazing counsellor, and honestly, once you get talking it does help you to see things a little bit differently.

best wishes xxx

Hi, you don't need to rehearse it, you don't need to do anything for your counsellor, you don't need to explain yourself. It's the counsellor's job to help you understand your stuff and not the other way round.

Thanks guys for some helpful advice. I think I have just been trying too hard to figure everything out in my head. Hopefully it will go ok.

recurrancebat - your name is interesting too. One day when I have the time I will explain my name on my profile.

Archived