Mental Health Forums

*+=@~#$£*&@# Prescription Charges...

Katherine

I saw my GP this morning, told her all the stuff about nightmares, screaming, not sleeping etc..and she was very kind and understanding.

She gave me a prescription for Zopiclone short term, sleeping tablets to help me sleep over the weekend and get into work ok. 3.75 mg, only a small dose.

I also had a new prescription for my 150 mg Efexor per day..

Fine, all well and good... BUT get this.....

I had to pay 2 prescription charges, 2 lots of £6.50.

As if that isn't yearrrchhh enough, guess how many Zopiclone I had to pay £6-50 for???????

ok, are you ready?????????

3 piddling little pills..in a large sized cardboard box no less...

Mind you, if I actually feel like an alive human being over the weekend, then great.

And she did explain that she'd only given me 3 so that I can't get addicted or take an overdose or anything :huh:

But *still fuming* £6-50 for 3 pills........*smoke coming out of ears*..

Kari

I hear ya babes,

last friday i got my prescription for prozac and sulpiride and when i got to the chemist, she told me the charge had gone up, again- it's £6.50 here! If i were to take the medication prescribed for my asthma, that would be another £13 a month! Hoping my claim for Income Support gets accepted so i can not pay anymore. it would have been cheaper for you to pay the actual price of the medication- 3 tablets at that cost? You should sell them on the street for that price! Hope the zopiclone works for you, I found it quite helpful before.

thanks Anwen, yep, I meant £6-50, just edited it...I think I went into disbelief....!!!!

I've had Zopliclone before, can't remember what dose. It did help then...It may have been a larger dose, but Efexor is supposed to increase sedative effects of any sedative.... errgghh!!!

k.

Yeah, you were in shock!

I found effexor really screwed up my sleep pattern but my doc was always reluctant to give me anything to help me sleep, I only ever got given zopiclone at hospital. I have changed to prozac and my sleep has got so much better although I still have the weird vivid dreams i had with effexor.

Hi all

There's a form (yes another bl***y form) to get help with prescription charges if you are on a low income and not getting disability living allowance or income support it's called HC1 and I think benefit offices have them. Hope that helps a bit, I know it's one more thing you just don't need to think about eh?

Elaine

x

I know you're big on dreams Karie, I started on effexor about 3 years ago and have had such intense dreams ever since. I find it annoying as it seems like going to sleep is no longer a pleasure or an escape. Have you found effexor affects your dreams at all?

it does for sure, Anwen...like I'm going to the cinema every night..then have to write a book out every morning!!!!

though last night was better.....dreamt about my therapist :)

How much is that in american money? 

Good medication for nightmares is "Periaction". Works very well.............

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

£6.50 is a little over $12 wisdom

karilora why didn't your dr put it all on one prescription?

do you have to pay £6.50 per medication or per prescription ?

I get free medication for life cos i've got hypothyroidism so i don't know how they work it out.

£6.50 for 3 piddly pills is bloody disgusting! not surprised you were p****d off

I've had very vivid dreams since starting on effexor. I used to get them occasionally before but they are like being in a movie now - it never occured to me that they might be related!

Zopiclone works pretty well, but it sounds a bit mean just to give you three - that's not going to do you any harm

yep have to pay per item *grr*

she gave me 3 so I don't get addicted or take an overdose, not that I likely would (tho addicted is more likely)

but I did feel protected, and that's important to me...

it is mainly to carry me over until therapy recommences on Monday...

k.

$13 is 6.50 pounds.

It is my personal belief that you should have an exemption card just like those that have chronic illnesses, like diabetes, have. I believe this to be a chronic problem. For the most part it isnt going away. Talk to ya doc.

One of my medications is about $165.00 for 30 days. Thats one out of 6 medications............ USA medications are horribly expensive. esp with no health insurance.

Wiz

• 5 weeks later...

If you need a lot of prescriptions a cheaper way is a pre payment certificate its about £33 for 4 months and £90 for 12 months, Ive got asthma and it would cost me about £30 a month.

flippy

cheers flippy, have been considering that.

but unless she decides to give me Zopiclone singly lol I should be ok, as I get enough Efexor for nearly 2 months each time, and she gave me 10 Zopis the other week.

(Obviously trusted me more---she SAID that it would save me money though...so inconsistent grrr---one week she is concerned I'll get addicted or take an overdose, the next gives me 10 of the things...???!!!!)

Katie

anwen,

i also take prozac and sulpiride, better on prozac than any of the others i have tried, also better with sulpiride than chlorpromazine but has made me gain weight which i hate, has that happened to you ? rosehip xx

K

sorry you are having to pay for your prescrirtions. :(

could your dr maybe write you one prescription but you collect what you need from chemist weekly.just a thought.im very tired so prob talking nonsense

Love Sunshinev xx

OK, this is going to annoy you. Zopiclone only costs the NHS 11p for a 7mg tablet!!!

If you are on a low income or benefits, you can apply for free prescriptions. Otherwise you can buy a pre payment cert for £26 for four months - works out a lot cheaper!

love flora xox

This is madness, i've just read the whole thread - you CAN'T kill yourself with zopiclone - well, don't risk it but the effexor is much more dangerous. You can't get addicted to it either - it's one of the three Z drugs - they are not benzodiazepines. All that happens is that your body gets accustomed to it and you don't get the full effect after a while - may take a couple of days for your sleep to settle if you come off them but nothing worse than that. Your GP is.....interesting!

not on low enough income or benefits....and things are settling somewhat emotionally now...

and hmmmm....

but I DO have a good relationship with her, and that's pretty much the most important thing for me....so....

Katie

Archived