Mental Health Forums

Questions...don't Know If It Would Do Here...

WishfulMoonAngel

I got some weird questions...like to know if anyone else has this problem...

I've had trouble in the past with clenching my teeth when I dream(I've always had nightmares since I was 6), and my doctor advised a lot of bullshit things like, "try thinking of happy things before I fall asleep"....ah huh...sure...when you're last dream was about being sliced up by someone with a knife, you try to lie down with "happy thoughts"....moron...but anyways...

more recently, like the last 4 years or so, I've had nightmares so bad that I wake up with tears running down my cheeks...sometimes I don't remember what I dreamt...but I would wake up with tears anyways...

I know I block out memories that scare me too much...it's easier for me...when I think of repressed memories, I still think of the memory of my daddy moving out of the house...I blanked it out for years...when I finally remembered it years later in one of my dreams...but anyways...

the thing that's really on my mind right now...the last week, week and a half....I've woken up with marks on my arms...I never thought much about it...but I have a deep scar on my arm from last night....I realized I'M CLAWING MYSELF IN MY SLEEP!!!....but I don't know why!

I want to stop it...cause my arms are hurting from these scratches and stuff...I mean...it's bad enough that my muscles hurt...and my gums and teeth....I don't need these scars too...besides...my other problems won't let them heal...I tend to pick at scabs and stuff...so I can't keep this up...it's really making my arms look bad...

which, amazingly enough!(sorry, ignore the sarcasm)....nobody in my house has noticed the scars...but's that a different story entirely...

anyways....if anybody has been through this in their sleep...scatching themselves, clenching their teeth....constant nightmares...any advice on how to get it to stop would be greatly appreciated...thanks...

I clench my teeth a lot, but particularly when I sleep. Thinking happy thoughts ain't gonna fix that, I don't think. I was told to buy an inexpensive mouthguard (plastic one) to sleep with at night, so that I wouldn't fuck up my jaw. I never did it, lol, but you may find it helpful. If you do, the way you work the mouthguard is as follows: Drop that puppy into a pot of hot water until it's soft, then take it out (let it cool a bit, but not enough to harden again), put it in your mouth, and bite down so that it molds to your mouth.

I don't really have trouble with nightmares. I wish I could help more on that one. =/ Perhaps keep a dream log? Writing that stuff down can be cathartic in and of itself, but it may always help you find patterns and themes. And if you're seeing a therapist they can help you figure it out too.

I dont know what to suggest to help sorry but i have nightmares to and i know its really awful. Also makes u really tired a lot of the time and that can make everything seem so much worse.

Sorry i dont have any helpful suggestions.

*hugs*

tory

Hi, I have problems with that too. I clench and grind my teeth while I sleep....my dentist said it is actually doing damage to my teeth and my jaw now and he said he would make a mouth guard....but, I hate going to the dentist and haven't been back for him to do it. I didn't realise you could get do it yourself ones...thanks Shoe Panda, I may try and find one. Think I need something cos my jaw gets very sore and keeps clicking (eek!!)

I also have nightmares and more recently (don't know if its cos of meds) I have been waking up drenched in sweat (sounds horrid I know....am having to change pjs at least once a night lol!). I think its the dreams, they just exhaust. I often wake up feeling so tired. And like u say, its not like u can just think happy thoughts and go into a deep happy sleep.

As for the scratches, I don't know, I've never experienced this. I often wake up with sore muscles, especially shoulders and arms from being tense all night. I really don't know what can be done to stop all of it, not sleep I suppose! :closedeyes: Or I guess try to work out what the nightmares are about and why you're having them, perhaps thats the only way of ever getting rid of them?!?!!

If u find a solution let me know!! Take care, hugs xx

One of my ex boyfriends, i used to wake him up hittting him in the head for no reason, i cant remember why some strange nightmare i was having and then other nights id wake him up looking for tattoes with directions to places on his chest. one morning i told him mum was taking us to macca's for breakfast and she was hours away. so some strange things can happen. but i used to hit him all the time in my sleep and talk in my sleep all the time. he would tell me in the morning the things i had said or tried to say. some things he couldnt make any comprehension of which may have been a good thing. i think maybe that is why he left me. but i do know now i have settled down because i dont do it with the guy im with now.

but as for hurting yourself babe, that is scarey, you need to speak to someone about your dreams a dream counsellor a therapist, not just a doctor they dont know much about dreams speak to someone who knows aaobut dreams. its all good to think nice things before you go to sleep but its when youre asleep that your unconscious mind clicks in and starts playing around and really starts to act up. you need to be careful baby. YOU NEED TO TAKE EXTRA CARE OF YOU RIGHT NOW OK. WE HERE ALL CARE ABOUT YOU. I HAVE DEFINATELY FOUND THAT OUT LATELY AND YOU WILL TOO AND I THINK YOU ARE NOW.

TAKE GOOD CARE AND FIND A GOOD THERAPITST TO HELP WITH THE BAD DREAMS OK BABY.

RAG

I have done all kinds of things in my sleep, such as hitting and talking, I have even made out in my sleep, lucky hub! I hit and stuff when my stress levels are very high.

Archived