Mental Health Forums

New Government

SKyler1311

I keep getting really stressed out and panicky when I hear people talking or writing about the changes the new government will make with regards to benefits and disability allowances. My situation is that I managed to work, all be it at times very difficult, throughout my illness and problems, until about three years ago, when I was signed off for what should have been 2 weeks. At that time my Mum started to show signs that her memory was deteriorating, and was eventually diagnosed with Alzheimers. I took this news very badly, and became unable to return to work, although I did try several times, but would have to go home again because I couldn't cope with it, it wasn't the stress of the work, more the environment and my constant mood swings that made it difficult for me. My employer then paid me off, so I became unemployed and recieved incapacity benefit, and DLA. I am diagnosed with BPD, and am also morbidly obese, and diagnosed with a binge eating disorder, I have severe mood swings which my family say are awefull, and that they never know what to expect from one hour to the next, I rarely leave the house as I don't like going out and have a fear of falling over, and constantly feel that people are staring at me and laughing, so usually only attend appointments, I haven't been town centre shopping in about 5 years, and only occasionaly venture to the supermarket on a good day, when I do out I drive and park as close to the door as I can get. Anyway, I'm waffling, basically, I get really worried and stressed when people start saying things like, they'll stop your incapacity benefit, and your DLA, and they'll make you get a job. I tried so hard to go back to work after going sick and failed, and I really feel that I don't want to go through that again, I am 40, and have worked all my life since I was 15, so it's not like I am lazy and want to live on benefits, I just fear that they will force me out of where I currently am, and it is the only place that feels safe and comfortable. Does anyone else ever feel like this, is it just a fear of change ?

Archived