Mental Health Forums

Another Thread About My Obsessions

Bigmouth_strikes_again

I have always been an obsessive person, i obsess over anything and everything. I even stalked someone for 5 years (But they weren't too bothered about it.). My obsessions change from month to month.

But over two years ago i started getting more and more pet rabbits (amongst other animals). I've only really just realised what i've been like since.. I spend like 3 hours a night searching all advertising sites for rabbits for sale/needing a home. I contact loads of the people, asking questions and telling them how great and knowledgeable i am of rabbits. Then i am awake all night, unable to sleep in anticipation of their reply. I lay in bed thinking of what i will name the rabbit and making up little situations in my head and even make list of all the things i will need to buy it. I rehearse lines i'll say to my parents so they will allow me to get the rabbit.

Then if i get a reply saying the rabbit has gone or anything like that, i feel tearful and angry cos ive been robbed of a future with that animal. But if i get a reply saying i can have it, then i have to make up excuses as i can't take in anymore - Which makes contacting them in the first place pointless.

I've ended up with 20 rabbits, who cost a fortune. I'm on benefits which is not even enough to pay my bills, so ive ended up owning family hundreds in vet bills. And even though i know i can't take in more rabbits, i can barely support the ones i have, i still can't stop myself looking them up and dreaming of having them in my life.

I don't know why i do this. I get so depressed over the bills and the emotion strain, and pain of losing them, then to sort of counteract the bad stuff, i get another rabbit which brings me happiness for a day or two, until the realisation of the finanial stuff hits me again.

I don't know why i made this thread, i just kinda hoped someone will understand and sympathise with me. I don't know if there is any kind of help for this sort of problem?? Well i don't even know what the problem is.. Any clues? It's very emotionally draining.

Oh wow, don' think I can be very helpful but that must be a tremendous strain. Could you get a grant and open a sanctuary, like a charity of something? I'm sorry probably crap idea. My only obsessions have been with the colour gren so that doesn't really compare. Bumble x

I did want to open a sanctuary but it can take years to get it registered as a charity and as there would be lots of sick and old animals being brought in the vet bills would rise into the thousands. I thought maybe even working for a sanctuary, constantly being around new animals would help but my social phobia is so intense that working really isn't an option.

What a rollercoaster that must be,emotionally the way youre obsessed with this.I would guess its a big strain on you.

You wondered why you where doing this and if there is help for it.

I think yes there is help a proper counsellor or therapist I think can help you.

I think what you have to ask yourself is;what does getting rabbits do for me?What whole of need i have inside does it fill up,then you can look for alternative ways to fill up that whole.

Lilly

Archived