Mental Health Forums

So Frustrated! *could Trigger*

x.glitter_raindrops.x

Sorry about this everybody but i really feel like a rant here. I've just gotten very frustrated with a tv programme that is on about eating disorders or more like "the size zero trend"

Why do all people with an eating disorder get explained away and put into a box as "wanting to be like a skinny celebrity"?

there is this tunnel vision view about those who have an eating disorder just 'doing' it to follow the trend of skinny celebrities.

Does anyone ever open their eyes and realise that it's not always about copying celebrities. and it is not always about wanting to be skinny. I know for me alot of my problem is my attitude to food, NOT size! sometimes I feel so desperate and terrible inside i need to get it out of me (sorry)

why are all of these documentary's about this problem saying it's because of skinny people in the media? when will people look a little bit deeper?

it would be like saying psychosis is a result of drugs and only showing people in a tv programme with psychosis who have done drugs. Even though we all know psychosis can be caused by drugs but isnt always the case infact some people do drugs and dont even get psychosis.

what makes it worse is my mum seems to agree with the opinion that people have eating disorders because they want to be skinny like those in the media. I don't pay attention to the bloody media to be honest, It's not something that interests me. (and of course she doesnt really know exactly how long i've been doing it, and why I started) It has kind of hurt me as my mum knows that i have eating problems, the only reason i am 'behaving' myself to the best of my abilities is for my unborn son. I know that i will go back to old ways once he's born, I'm not pleased of myself for it but i almost look forward to it, I know it sounds terrible and i feel bad but i dont know, its something i still need to overcome. It just kinda really upset me that there's such a stigma attatched to having an eating disorder.

maybe i should have left the room when it was on and not said anything because then I wouldnt have learnt my mums opinion was that we do it to be like celebrities. but i didnt leave. and now i feel crappy. but i cant go under and back to my usual ways for the sake of being pregnant. so I thought it might help to get it out of my system here.

Sorry if i offend anyone it's not my intention, it's just something that gets to me, I'm not sure if maybe others have a different or similiar opinion, i mean i know that some eating disorders can be triggered/encouraged/hindered from following the media but all i'm saying is not all disorders are and we need more tv programmes who show other factors behind the problems.

I understand what you are saying, I don't talk about my e.d. and half the time I don't even admit to myself I have one,I don't like the stigma either, which is probably I don't want to flaunt being even more misunderstood.

Sah

Archived