Mental Health Forums

Medication Questions

LanieD116

:wub:

My Paxil is wearing off in the late afternoons and I'm feeling anxious and the need to leave the house or i'll panic! So, I was given something to take in the evenings to chill me out and help me sleep -

I think it's close to valium - it's for anxiety....

it's calledclonazepam ( disp for-klonopin) ????

any one familiar? I'm feeling kida stoned - i think - i've never been stoned, but i imagined it as this. :P

thanks,

lanie

:wub:

it's called clonazepam ( disp for-klonopin) ????

any one familiar? I'm feeling kida stoned - i think - i've never been stoned, but i imagined it as this.  :P

thanks,

lanie

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Yeah, I'm familiar. clonezapam is an anti-convulsant, and it depresses the central nervous system. 50% of patients taking it experience "drowsiness," which is a watered down way of saying that it drugs you to the gills! It's also extremely dangerous when taken in conjunction with alchohol. it can also make it so you can't walk a straight line (ataxia) in 30% of patients. It's not a drug you want to take and then try to do anything that requires mental alertness, such as driving! It's also not a drug you want to take if you are trying to get pregnant (I don't know if this is an issue for you, but I figured I'd mention it just in case.)

In canada, it is only prescribed as an anti-convulsant to treat epilepsy.

I always research drug monographs when doctors try to prescribe me something, because there's been more than one occasion where I've been prescribed something that is contraindicated for me, or because the drug they want me to take isn't proven to be effective for what they want me to take it for. In this particular case, I think you've been prescribed it for "on the spot" anxiety attacks and not as a maintenance dose, the way it's taken for epilepsy.

I was thinking about posting an exercise that my T gave me. I've found it quite effective, so I am going to write it up in the Recovery section. I hope it helps others, and maybe it will help you.

Thank you for the info....

I think i will take only a half of one if i begin feeling anxious again and see how it helps.

I only felt off ballance for about a half hour - after that i was fully functioning - but i did sleep better with no interruptions and that's been a huge problem lately.

The doc also suggested i take one paxil in the morning and one in the afternoon - that alone should prevent the anxiety in the evenings - so I may not even need these =0)

Nice to know there's something I can take to calm the wigged out feelings I get under stress.

I appreciate all your information.

Lanie <><

Hi Lanie, yeah I am prescribed Clonazepam. I know what u mean, it can knock u out a bit. I am also prescribed Lorazepam for acute anxiety...it acts quicker than clonazepam so its good for panic attacks (but addictive!) and gives a similar feeling to being stoned but better (must be why they're addictive!) :wacko:

I have tried to cut down the clonazepam, cos it does affect awareness etc but it is good and it last longer than something like lorazepam. Having half a tablet is a good idea, I've tried to do this too (although I have to say here make sure u check with your docs before changing any doses/meds...I've learnt from my mistakes! :blush: ).

Its good u got some good sleep...always helps.

Take care xx :)

Archived