Mental Health Forums

Anxiety ..it's Way Too Much To Deal With Anymore

ziparmux

Hi

I have been really bad this past 2/3 days. It's really awful. I have taken 100mg of diazepam in the last 2 days alone to breath, and walk. Tonight I have a had way too many 'drams' of scotch, I know it's very short term self medication, but it has helped me after two days to be even enough relaxed to write here asking for help, but know it's a very short term answer. How much more can my heart take of this? I have much I want to live for, but feel this is dragging me down, to a point now again as in the past, where I can hardly function.

Waking up in the morning, with anxiety as soon as you open your eyes, oh god it's dreadful and yes I feel sad and sorry for myself tonight, I'm sick to death of it. I'm doing all I feel I am able to do to get out and busy myself with activities to help me, but taking 2 mg of diazepam every 20/30 mins to be able to be there etc, and then come home and have to take 10 to really calm down. only after having a few scotches do I even feel slightly at ease to even write here.

I don't know what I'm asking for, I just don't want to feel this no more, there's only so much you can do and cope with.

Yes I have others issues I know but this is the hardest to deal with on a minute by minute feeling that you can't escape.

I'm so fed up with it >>Lawrence

Hi Lawrence

This may pee you off to read, but if you become 'tolerant' to diazepam, it can actually CAUSE anxiety. Its the cruelty of adjustment to any kind of benzo - your brain shuts down the receptors for the drug the more you use it, and so eventually all them bits of yer brain are basically ignoring the diazepam no matter how much you take. Benzo dependence is a royal pain in the rear ...

Only way to get them working again, sadly, is to stop taking them for a while so your brain can spring back to normal. However, watch out for the withdrawal.

Look up "benzodiazepine tolerance". usually its overcome with higher doses, but even then you grow tolerant to higher doses, so.... vicious cycle.

Here is wikipedia on it:

Tolerance and physical dependence

Diazepam as with other benzodiazepine drugs can cause tolerance, physical dependence, addiction and what is known as the benzodiazepine withdrawal syndrome. Withdrawal from diazepam or other benzodiazepines often leads to withdrawal symptoms that are similar to those seen during barbiturate or alcohol withdrawal. The higher the dose and the longer the drug is taken the greater the risk of experiencing unpleasant withdrawal symptoms. Withdrawal symptoms can occur from standard dosages and also after short-term use and can range from insomnia and anxiety to more serious symptoms including seizures and psychosis. Withdrawal symptoms can sometimes resemble pre-existing conditions and be misdiagnosed. Diazepam may produce less intense withdrawal symptoms due to its long elimination half life. Benzodiazepine treatment should be discontinued as soon as possible via a slow and gradual dose reduction regime.[4][63] Tolerance develops to the therapeutic effects of benzodiazepines; for example tolerance occurs to the anticonvulsant effects and as a result benzodiazepines are not generally recommended for the long-term management of epilepsy.

Dose increases may overcome the effects of tolerance, however, tolerance may then develop to the higher dose and adverse effects may increase. The mechanism of tolerance to benzodiazepines includes, uncoupling of receptor sites, alterations in gene expression, down regulation of receptor sites and desensitisation of receptor sites to the effect of GABA. Approximately one third of individuals who take benzodiazepines for longer than 4 weeks become dependent and experience a withdrawal syndrome upon cessation.[4] The difference in rates of withdrawal (50–100%) varies depending on the patient sample being investigated. For example, a random sample of long-term benzodiazepine users typically finds that around 50% will experience little or no withdrawal symptoms, with the other 50% experiencing notable withdrawal symptoms. Certain select patient groups will show a higher rate of notable withdrawal symptoms, up to 100%.[64] Rebound anxiety, more severe than baseline anxiety, is also a common withdrawal symptom when discontinuing diazepam or other benzodiazepines.[65] Diazepam is therefore only recommended for short-term therapy at the lowest possible dose owing to risks of severe withdrawal problems from low doses even after gradual reduction.[66] There is a significant risk of pharmacological dependence on diazepam and patients experiencing symptoms of benzodiazepine withdrawal syndrome if it is taken for 6 weeks or longer.[67] In humans tolerance to the anticonvulsant effects of diazepam occurs frequently.

*hugs lawrence*

im crap at dealing with my own anxiety and i also do daft things to self medicate and try to escape the feelings, but i want u to know im thinking of you. im so sorry i cant be any help or offer advice, but if u wanna pm me, u know where i am.....ok? x

Hi Lawrence

This may pee you off to read, but if you become 'tolerant' to diazepam, it can actually CAUSE anxiety. Its the cruelty of adjustment to any kind of benzo - your brain shuts down the receptors for the drug the more you use it, and so eventually all them bits of yer brain are basically ignoring the diazepam no matter how much you take. Benzo dependence is a royal pain in the rear ...

Only way to get them working again, sadly, is to stop taking them for a while so your brain can spring back to normal. However, watch out for the withdrawal.

Look up "benzodiazepine tolerance". usually its overcome with higher doses, but even then you grow tolerant to higher doses, so.... vicious cycle.

Here is wikipedia on it:

Tolerance and physical dependence

Diazepam as with other benzodiazepine drugs can cause tolerance, physical dependence, addiction and what is known as the benzodiazepine withdrawal syndrome. Withdrawal from diazepam or other benzodiazepines often leads to withdrawal symptoms that are similar to those seen during barbiturate or alcohol withdrawal. The higher the dose and the longer the drug is taken the greater the risk of experiencing unpleasant withdrawal symptoms. Withdrawal symptoms can occur from standard dosages and also after short-term use and can range from insomnia and anxiety to more serious symptoms including seizures and psychosis. Withdrawal symptoms can sometimes resemble pre-existing conditions and be misdiagnosed. Diazepam may produce less intense withdrawal symptoms due to its long elimination half life. Benzodiazepine treatment should be discontinued as soon as possible via a slow and gradual dose reduction regime.[4][63] Tolerance develops to the therapeutic effects of benzodiazepines; for example tolerance occurs to the anticonvulsant effects and as a result benzodiazepines are not generally recommended for the long-term management of epilepsy.

Dose increases may overcome the effects of tolerance, however, tolerance may then develop to the higher dose and adverse effects may increase. The mechanism of tolerance to benzodiazepines includes, uncoupling of receptor sites, alterations in gene expression, down regulation of receptor sites and desensitisation of receptor sites to the effect of GABA. Approximately one third of individuals who take benzodiazepines for longer than 4 weeks become dependent and experience a withdrawal syndrome upon cessation.[4] The difference in rates of withdrawal (50–100%) varies depending on the patient sample being investigated. For example, a random sample of long-term benzodiazepine users typically finds that around 50% will experience little or no withdrawal symptoms, with the other 50% experiencing notable withdrawal symptoms. Certain select patient groups will show a higher rate of notable withdrawal symptoms, up to 100%.[64] Rebound anxiety, more severe than baseline anxiety, is also a common withdrawal symptom when discontinuing diazepam or other benzodiazepines.[65] Diazepam is therefore only recommended for short-term therapy at the lowest possible dose owing to risks of severe withdrawal problems from low doses even after gradual reduction.[66] There is a significant risk of pharmacological dependence on diazepam and patients experiencing symptoms of benzodiazepine withdrawal syndrome if it is taken for 6 weeks or longer.[67] In humans tolerance to the anticonvulsant effects of diazepam occurs frequently.

HI and thank you for the detailed response.

I have been taking this drug now for over 20 years, and yes way too long to have been prescribed this drug. Yes I am finding the drug to be less effective now in small doses 10/15 mg even at a time. The last 3 days I have had to drip feed myself every 30 mins 2mg in a vain attempt to control what has been a very unpleasant few days respecting the anxiety. If I take a large dose over a few days it does bring me down eventually, without it, I would as in the past be taken to A&E as my heart gets really out of control and goes into AF, which is very unpleasant. I'm not sure how to approach the medication (use of diazepam) any more as I have become so dependant on it to manage my anxiety. I had to finish the day off yesterday with half a bottle of scotch to knock myself out, not out of choice I needed out, as I couldn't deal with the anxiety any longer, it's been 3 days really bad here. This morning it's a lot better, I'm a little edgy, and avoid caffeine and stressful situations the best I'm able, but it's only a matter of time before the cycle will eventually start again, it's just plain horrid.

>>>Lawrence

*hugs lawrence*

im crap at dealing with my own anxiety and i also do daft things to self medicate and try to escape the feelings, but i want u to know im thinking of you. im so sorry i cant be any help or offer advice, but if u wanna pm me, u know where i am.....ok? x

Thanks Linsey )))

>>> Lawrence

HI and thank you for the detailed response.

I have been taking this drug now for over 20 years, and yes way too long to have been prescribed this drug. Yes I am finding the drug to be less effective now in small doses 10/15 mg even at a time. The last 3 days I have had to drip feed myself every 30 mins 2mg in a vain attempt to control what has been a very unpleasant few days respecting the anxiety. If I take a large dose over a few days it does bring me down eventually, without it, I would as in the past be taken to A&E as my heart gets really out of control and goes into AF, which is very unpleasant. I'm not sure how to approach the medication (use of diazepam) any more as I have become so dependant on it to manage my anxiety. I had to finish the day off yesterday with half a bottle of scotch to knock myself out, not out of choice I needed out, as I couldn't deal with the anxiety any longer, it's been 3 days really bad here. This morning it's a lot better, I'm a little edgy, and avoid caffeine and stressful situations the best I'm able, but it's only a matter of time before the cycle will eventually start again, it's just plain horrid.

>>>Lawrence

Hi there

I'm not certain of what to suggest, and perhaps you will have already tried a lot of things, but I guess my first thought was being moved to a new, non-benzodiazepine drug to help you? Perhaps one that doesnt target opioid receptors, such as an SSRI or one of the newer SSNRI's or similar? I guess I mean, taking one of these drugs to support you through a proper withdrawal plan? Im surprised your doctor has allowed you to be on them for so long, considering how well known the dependence and tolerance problems are. As Im sure you know, there will be a psychological part to it as well, and you may well believe 100% that you cannot cope without it. Possibly though, life without the tolerance induced problems may even be slightly better than being diazepam dependent. Its difficult because you will have become so used to feeling anxious, then reaching for it, that breaking this process and actually having to sit with the discomfort of the anxiety it brings is very difficult. IMO, and it is only my opinion, getting on some kind of withdrawal plan and perhaps even seeking support for it, will be important. In all fairness giving it up could be as hard as some people find giving up alcohol and other drugs, especially as it has become part of your life for the last 20 years.

I do not know what meds you are on but Im taking an SSRI for anxiety...........it works for me and lots of others too.

I used to take Xanax,now I am almost anxiety free without it. SSRI's are not addictive,a better choice.

Maybe something to discuss with your doc?

Lilly

Hi Lawrence,

really feel for you. I ve had disabling anxiety and problems with diazepam as well and I know how dreadful it is. I am now taking sertraline anti depressant which is meant to be good for panic disorders. I never thought the anxiety would ease but its a lot better now, so there is hope for you. SO sorry its hard for you. I hope you re okay xxxxxx

Hello missis teary person

Sorry to thread-jack, but does sertraline give you .. um .. problems with your um .. you know? Your er, 'happy region'?

I like to keep informed of what drugs I might take and things but my happy region tends to pay a price with SSRI's

Ta

Rossie

Hello missis teary person

Sorry to thread-jack, but does sertraline give you .. um .. problems with your um .. you know? Your er, 'happy region'?

I like to keep informed of what drugs I might take and things but my happy region tends to pay a price with SSRI's

Ta

Rossie

Hm funny lol...it can do, after 3 major relationships and getting slightly older now that's not a real issue for me I suppose, but yes if you're younger then it can have an effect. Around 20% it can effect I read a few days ago somewhere.

Thanks for all the advice to date. I'm already taking a SSRI drug along with the diazepam...still doesn't help me much, well it may seem that way but without them I'd be in a terrible/worse state with anxiety.

>>> Lawrence

I know how you feel hunny, I have just gone through a really good patch of about 2 months, over the last 2 days my anxiety is beginning to creep back up and am starting to get really down as I know that after a good patch the bad can seem twice as bad, I thought for one mad moment there that I was actually getting better, now I feel like a DEAD MAN WALKING

I have been on SSRI's where I couldnt orgasm anymore which I found horrible.(Im female)

On Sertaline I have no issues........It differs for everyone but Sertaline is known for lesser sexual side effects.

Lilly

I know how you feel hunny, I have just gone through a really good patch of about 2 months, over the last 2 days my anxiety is beginning to creep back up and am starting to get really down as I know that after a good patch the bad can seem twice as bad, I thought for one mad moment there that I was actually getting better, now I feel like a DEAD MAN WALKING

Hi

Yes anxiety has to be the least understood, by the general populace, of all of MH issues, it can be chronically debilitating, and many suffer in silence in our own ways, but yes it's awful I know. It has been stated here about 'benzo' drugs, which I am aware of their anxiety inducing properties, and yes no one should ever take them for longer than a few weeks, period.

I have a letter in my GP notes written by the at the time, not that long ago, by a very respected Professor, he's THE top psychiatrist and consultant at St Thomas's hospital in London. He's also a government health advisor on the effect of pharmacological, and 'street' drugs on human physiology. Some GP surgeries have a NON Diazepam/Temazepam policy for good reason. The content of the letter is, this patient MUST be prescribed Diazepam. Yes he explained to me at length the long term effects on the brain of long term use of this drug. Unfortunately for me the damage is permanent, it has a similar effect to the Neurons/Receptors on the brain as amphetamines. On the end of each neuron in the brain there is on average around 12,000 receptors. Long term use of diazepam increase this number to 250,000 a staggering affect, amphetamine users this can go up to 500,000 (which will drop back though after about 18 months unlike Diazepam)! A long term user of diazepam can be weaned off, but the brain will not change, hence your stuck in a very vicious circle. A friend of mine recently popped in here and showed me a bottle of Diazepam that had been prescribed for him, I took them off him and threw them away, and told him to go back to his GP and ask what the hell she think she is doing prescribing what is a very dangerous drug.

Anxiety is a simple to understand mechanism physiologically, when in danger the brain produces adrenalin to prepare you to run, or react quickly to protect yourself. In a 'normal' person this mechanism works fine, but in some cases the brain can produce it in quantities when not needed, this causes anxiety, physiological symptoms of adrenalin in your blood stream when you're not in danger and don't need to run.

If your brain has been affected by the long term use of diazepam then you don't have 12,000 receptors telling the brain to produce adrenalin on each neuron, you have 250,000, so yes my anxiety is appalling, and the only drug that can be used to stop this is Diazepam, there isn't another drug that can be as effective. So I'm screwed basically.

I would encourage anyone taking this drug who have been taking it in the shorter term to get the hell off it, and find an alternatives ASAP, otherwise you'll end up like me. There have been cases where patients have successfully sued and been compensated for being prescribed this drug and the effect it has had on them. For me it's too late, but anyone out there then do take note please get off it , it's very bad news.

I just have to try and manage my anxiety now, which at times is so bad I get hospitalised in a general hospital due to the amount of adrenalin in my bloodstream. Guess what they inject into me in A&E, yes Diazepam it's all they have to counteract it's actual effect on human physiology. Until they come up with a new drug that I can take to stop the brain from producing huge amounts of adrenalin, I'm stuck with diazepam.

>>>>> Lawrence

have they tried you on beta blockers at all ?

I was on these and I unfortunately got the most severe side effect that of muscle necrosis, muscles in my neck and left shoulder started to die and before they diagnosed that the pain in my neck and shoulder was due the that I had already lost 35% of the muscle and am left in content pain, so my advice is think very hard before you take it.. and be very watchful for muscle pain

HI and yes I take Propranolol, actually I feel like I take way too much stuff sometimes, but I know this drug is good for me.

yeah - noting maz's comments - i took propranolol and found it v effective for anx and i also used to have a v high resting pulse rate, panic attacks and head rush fainting spells...

old style anti deps - the tri cyclic ones are also good for anx - amitriptaline - but again - another bloody pill to pop... :(

the only other suggestion i have is hypnotherapy - but it is like marmite - love it or hate it... also if your anx is physiological rather than psychological i dunno if would be any good anyways...

I was on these and I unfortunately got the most severe side effect that of muscle necrosis, muscles in my neck and left shoulder started to die and before they diagnosed that the pain in my neck and shoulder was due the that I had already lost 35% of the muscle and am left in content pain, so my advice is think very hard before you take it.. and be very watchful for muscle pain

Thanks I was totally unaware of such side effects of Beta Blockers. Mind you I think half the Dr's don't know either. Yes diazepam is an exception as they didn't know at first, as far as I'm aware of the long term side effects. I was prescribed Zopiclone once zomg, I had terrible side effects, my anxiety went through the roof. I have anxiety being treated for it and then prescribed Zopiclone. One of the side effects of Zopiclone is increased anxiety levels!!! WT* I went back and then put back on Temazepam. I have them here now but rarely take them, only in emergency after days of not getting proper sleep do I use them.

I'll read the leaflet more closely about this drug (Proprananol), I've taken it for years without any 'apparent' side effects.

Hmm just looked up side effects, some here:

# Beta-blockers slow heart rate (this is how they stop palpitations). If this occurs excessively, however, you may become dizzy or feel faint. Your Doctor will check your pulse rate from time to time - this is an excellent method of establishing the correct dosage in your case. However, if you suffer from heart failure or heart rhythm problems related to a slow beat, treatment with a beta-blocker is best avoided.

# These medicines, and Proprananol in particular, can cause sleep disturbances with the occurrence of vivid dreams or nightmares and insomnia.

# Skin rashes are rarely reported but a "flare up" or general worsening in condition in people with psoriasis is not uncommon.

I'm prescribed this but have naturally low blood pressure anyway, but this drug doesn't help. I have AF at least a few times a day, I'm used to it now, but again this drug can induce that! Nightmares and insomnia, and I'm prescribed Temazepam so I can sleep! Skin rashes, again I have a problem with this, can't use soap at all, use special shampoos etc, and this drug makes it worse! I get prescribed one drug to help with a skin problem that can get out of hand if not dealt with.

Makes you wonder half the time if these drugs cause more harm than good especially when you're on a cocktail of them.

I don't now !!

>>>Lawrence

Archived