Mental Health Forums

Forgetting To Eat

canadianbumble

I'm not sure if this is a disorder but lately I am forgetting to eat. It gets to when my children get home and then I'm making their tea and I realise I haven't eaten. Even then I'm not hungry and the sight of food makes me feel all pukey. So I guess I've been eating once a day which I know is not ideal. I figure since I'm pretty overweight so it doesn't matter, I'm finding myself liking the feeling of being empty. Last time I was in Hossie I didn't eat anything for two weeks. In the end they said they wouldn't let me home until I ate something so I relented and drank some shakes. It took me quite along time before I could stomach anything again. I have been bulimic in the past but at the moment resisting the urge to throw up. I have periods where I severly restrict my food I won't say how much because I guess that would be triggering. I just can't be arsed to eat and since everything seems to taste of cardboard what's the point. Then again I know I have to eat to stay healthy. I also know that the way to lose weight is by not being ridiculous, so why am I being so silly?

I just can't face it I really can't. Bumble

i went through a stage of forgetting to eat when i first had my twins.i was just so busy.

being depressed can also cause lack of appitite.could you drink some of the nutrition shakes for now

so that at least your getting some vits and energy?x

hi bumble, ive seen that ur going through a rough time of late, so it will be this. When ur stressed and things are going on, u do forget to eat or u do forget, when ur dealing with everything else. Im the same. I am also the same that i restrict, i was bulimic years ago, now i am EDNS.

Once u feel bit more settled, im sure it will come back in remembering to eat.

sry no words of wisdome or anything today. xx

Sounds like its a little bit more then just forgetting,part of you enjoys this,then another part realizes this is not healthy..............

Maybe make an honest list of the pro's and con's of not eating..............see where that leaves you.

Lilly

• 2 weeks later...

I can relate to not eating when stressed or depressed.My appetite was normal up til about 6 weeks ago when i my problems with anxiety etc resurfaced again!at first i was hardly eating at all-just did not feel like it and I usually ALWAYS eat but last couple of weeks have been eating a bit more.I have never really had any probs with food etc except when i was 21 and working long hours in a factory and i would only eat breakfast and an apple for lunch and that was it for the 10 hour shift and i was a vegetarian at the time.when i met my partner about 9 months or so after this i slowly started to eat normally again and ive always wondered if this was some type of eating disorder,it lasted over a year or so ?

I had a lot of problems with anxiety and panic attacks back then but didn't know much about anxiety/depression etc

Sounds stress related to me. I get those feelings too sometimes. You say 'I'm overweight so it doesn't matter,' but deep down you know it does matter. I think Dani's idea of drinking nutrition shakes is a good one. Its not a long term solution but at least it will help you through the difficult periods, and suurely it is easier than eating.

Bless u hugs (((((hugs)))) i can relate to the almost liking the empty feeling, for me its like being clean on the inside.. but im overweight and a comfort eater.. and i feel guilty after i have eaten. I too have been bullimic in the past.

Sending you hugs xx Lou x

• 1 month later...

Hi I'm sorry you feel this way,my wife is the same, plus she suffers with depression, Is there any advice you can give me? As would like to know how to help her thought these time a bit better.

Thanks

Hi,

I dont really know where to start,

My doc told me i was borderline anorexic years ago, i'd lost a couple of stone in less than a couple of months, I was very stressed at the time, since then my eating has been very erratic not eating or bingeing, i've never had a regular eating pattern, but my weight had always remained consistent until recently, i have lost enough weight to drop 1-2 dress sizes, i'm happy at losing the weight but not about how i've done it, i know i need to retrain my way of thinking about food and to try an remember to eat but i'm really struggling as i find my general life gets in the way and by the time i realise its almost time for bed, i dont think anyone i've spoken to realises how hard it is to train ur mind to think differently, they seem to think its easy and that i shouldn't have a problem as i remember to feed my children, i dont know what to do but i really need to sort this out, part of me is worried i'll gain weight again which i dont want as i was over my ideal weight and now i'm back to my ideal weight hence why i dont want to gain anymore,

Thanks for reading xx

Archived