Mental Health Forums

Under 25?

ellisnia

The government believes that if you are under the ages of 25 it is far cheaper to live. You are not entitled to rent a place by yourself and you are not entitled to full financial help from any source. It is in fact more expensive to live when under 25 in some cases, and in other cases it is equal. I do not drive, but if I did my insurance would be higher than that of a 25 year old. Gaining credit, harder when under 25, home/contents insurance higher etc etc. Basically I am discriminated against.

I can only claim up to £55 per week for housing benefit (even on £0 income) when the cheapest place I can find to live is £330 per calendar month. I cannot get help from housing associations as I am not pregnant, have no kids, not in an area that is threatening etc. I am simply unable to work as confirmed from my GP and unable to pay bills and rent.

Getting financial help from the government is harder than finding a needle in a haystack, unless of course you are completely healthy and simply cannot find work. If you are mentally or physically disabled you need to jump through hoops for years just to find enough money for rent to prevent becoming homeless. There is no use contacting citizens advice, local government, or even the prime minister, they do not provide answers and treat you like something they would find on the bottom of their shoe.

I am just about ready to give up now, there is no solution and they won't do anything about it now with budget cuts coming in and benefit fraud still apparent. It would just be nice to be treated as an individual, who clearly needs help, and not be discriminated against. Anyone else having the same problems? Or been through it themselves and got through it somehow?

Archived