Mental Health Forums

Short Story That Reflects A Major Problem I Had.

renmus

This story was written to explain the sense of living confined inside a room within my head.

And how nothing the person in side, if i could only get out could become something great or change the world somehow.

The Prison.

Here I am again. Staring at these cold demoralizing walls that stood either side of me looming from unlimited heights, joined corner to corner, locking me into a closely confined square, enclosing me into a steadily receding prison that was oblivious to the world around it.

Directly facing me stood a great stone archway that was sealed tightly shut by gigantic brass cogs and other various elaborate mechanisms that seemed to be devised by other unworldly beings. It had seemed to me that I had once spent an eternity within these timeless walls, yet I find myself within this confinement once again. Maybe I never truly left? This place is nothing but a hole within the universe, here there is no concept of time or experience, only false memories of events that never actually occurred. The rage inside of me flicked and bellowed like an uncontrollable flame, I had all of the answers, the potential to change EVERYTHING. I know that nothing on the real world could challenge me; there were no obstacles and no distractions.

But here I am stuck powerless in this metaphysical void. My anger lashed at the stone walls and hammered into the looming archway. Every oz of power, every force of energy within me struggled against these giant faces of slab that gazed down at me belligerently. My very being twisted and contorted, grazing the sides of the enclosure as to desperately locate a weakness within the foundations of the structure. Nothing. There was no sign of appeasement, there was no give. The harder I pushed against the wall the harder it pushed back.

I slid my back down the cold stern wall, feeling the ripples of the bumps and alcoves that were embedded in the stone which uncomfortably compromise the vertebra of my spine.

As I sank down onto all fours a very strange feeling began to play on my mind. The very notion of existence and of being slowly started to disappear as it dawned on me that every moment within this room was nothing but an illusion. These walls imaginary, and my time here inexistent.

At that very moment my thoughts were disrupted by a distant but prominent echo that resounded within the walls of the enclosure. With a sudden jolt, the huge brass cogs began to rotate working in harmony as flecks of dust dispersed into the surrounding space like vapour that had evaporating from a falling stream of water. The locks clicked and chimed like musical instruments composing an unfaltering symphony.

I stood up and darted to the Archway waiting in anticipation to see the mammoth sized rock reveal the exit that would finally set me free. A moment passed and then another, each feeling like an eternity in its own right. Then slowly the archway began to shimmer, growing brighter and brighter until the very archway was no longer visible amongst the blinding light. I held my hands to my vision in order to protect my eyes from the searing white light. It struggled with my fingers, sliding over my hand like water against rock. I closed my eyes and felt the heat of the archway scream at my skin.

And then everything was quiet. The rumbling and chiming of the gears receded. And the scorching heat dissipated. But something felt different. I opened my eyes to observe this strange new sensation.

As my vision adjusted from the archway that had imprinted its shape onto the back of my retina I was met by a brightly lit landscape surrounded by magnificent greenery and wild life. In the distance a stream trickled on by, and the sun shone down onto the rippling water creating a mosaic of colours and distorted reflections upon its surface. Looking down I found myself standing on top of a boulder that was situated against two marvellously tall oak trees. I stepped off and felt the soothing grass under my bare feet and the slight cool breeze between my toes.

Could it be that I was finally free? That my realisation of the prison being a devise of my own imagination had unlocked the door to my salvation? I began to laugh to myself, at first silently and then being unable to control myself anymore my voice boomed out into the surroundings. Such a strange sound it was, one that I wasn’t accustom to. I rushed over to the running stream, it had seemed so long ago that I last drank and bathed. As I reached the water’s edge a flicker of bright light reflected off the stream and caught my eyes, dazzling my world with bright disorientating colours. My eyelids snapped shut and drew closer again squinting ahead to see if had overcome the path of the glistening light. Yet again the light persisted and unreassuringly gave me a feeling of nostalgia.

I closed my eyes once again.

All of a sudden the sound of trickling water disappeared, the warmth of the sun alleviated and the air filling my lungs became damp and intoxicating. My heart sank into my gut, as the world I had briefly come to love and understand fell away from my feet I came to understand what was happening. I slowly began opening my eyes in hope that what I would see would not be what I was expecting...

In front of me, once again stood those cold desolate stone walls reaching into infinity. Here I was again. Amongst the feelings of devastation and isolation that crept into my mind, I find myself wondering.... Had I truly left?

[End]

Archived