Mental Health Forums

*scream* Please Please Please

lewchocolate

Hi,

I went to see the doctor today and she basically did not adjust my medications, even though I was crying and begging for something/anything. I said I can't sleep and I keep getting urges to hurt myself. So I thought tomorrow I will go to the walk in centre and ask to see the crisis team. I don't want to be in hospital but I can't go on like this because I will just do something stupid. Does anyone have any other ideas about how I can get some help? I don't even know what they could do, I just want to be able to sleep more than a couple of hours a day and maybe not freak out all the time. I really don't know what to do, advice anyone?

Thank you, Lewy

hi

i write it all down, if necessary bluntly as to what my intentions are, it usually gets them sitting up and paying attention. the crisis team/care co as under the cmht team already get quickly called to the forefront again.

can u ask them for what u want, like say can i have something to help u sleep? etc, i find when i am not direct they dont seem to understand me, and my gp seems to prefer if i say can i have .... for sleep, or diazepam for hols etc as they know how to help u then. i have only just worked this out tho.

but my gps are careful with what they give me and quantities due to my history, so that may also play a part. but if u can be blunt ask them to see crisis, review meds etc.

cad

Thank you for your reply. I get the one week supply as well because of taking them all in one go thing. I went to the walk in centre and then they told me to go to A'n'E (I was thinking about just running away and going home but I chickened out). I got blood taken because they did not believe that I did not take anything. The doctor I did see was really good and did listen to me but then he talked to my normal doctor and she would not move at all. So I am using co-codamol to make myself sleep, I told them that. Don't know what to do now.. just have to wait I guess for my next appointment and hope that overdosing on co-codamol every night does not kill me (don't really care if it does to be honest).

pls dont od on cocodamol, not sure what the consequences could be but i am guessing liver and kidney failure, and i was told they are a long and painful death by my gp.

could u see a diff gp, ask for a second opinion? you are entitled to one, i have gone thru several pysch (one left but refused to see her again anyway, refused to see crisis pysch 2, and got 2nd opinion with current pysch, as didnt feel listened 2) and the pysch who did the 2nd opinion changed my meds, which are working beta and is now in charge of my meds.

sleep wise, i have been told to not watch tv in bed, not to stop in bed for longer then 20 min, if not asleep in 20 min get up and dont go back to bed until u can hardly keep eyes open. cut down on caffeine etc.

hope helps

cad

I actually would suggest you change your doctor. You are as bad as you are because you are not sleeping. Unless you get the right amount of sleep you are unable to recover with any other problems that you have.

Taking alot of Co-codomol every night will indeed result in a slow and painful death (it is pretty much aspirin and codeine). You won't notice any real changes at first, but after a while you will begin to become very ill if you continue to take it alot at night.

Changing doctor is a good idea as Sioux mentioned, but overdosing on medicine will decrease the chances of a doctor prescribing you -anything-; especially sleeping tablets.

The reason such medicines are not given is because you've shown dependance on them and they're very addictive medicines.

Co-codomol itself is quite a weak hypnotic, even in large quantities, so with regards to sleeping, it won't even help that much, as it is made as a painkiller for nausea and headaches.

I am on Zopiclone 7.5mg (max dosage) / per night and a months supply. I've been on sleeping tablets for years, and I use up all my Zopiclone in a matter of half that time. I won't be given any due to being on the maximum dosage, and overdosing on medication before.

There really isn't much you can do - there are alternatives to sleeping medications such as the old anti-allergen and anti-histamines out there which are available over the counter (Benadryl and Phenergan are the best); they are non-addictive and don't cause tolerance / resistance to the medication; and they are safer to take in larger quantities.

Herbal remedies do work, although you have to give them patience as they are weak-strength.

The best solutions are the natural ones, such as Cadance mentioned - making sure you are relaxed staying awake until you really feel tired is best.

Hi,

I told my Psych the same thing, she prescribed me Seroquel, I can now sleep at night and it really helps with the self harming thoughts too.

Hope this helps.

Thank you for your replies. I honestly don't know what to do now, I was told at AnE that if I carried on doing the co-codamol thing that it would damage my liver. My GPs tell me that they don't want to touch my medications and go ask the hospital about changes, then I get the same no matter which doctors sees me there. I will try what you suggest Cadance and not stay in bed just laying there, worth a go. I have tried allergy medication as well but it does not help that much. I just need to sleep, my body feels like its always in hurting. I can't see a different GP because they all agreed to not touch my medication and my consultant at the hospital won't pass me on any other doctor. I begged them to make any change, even if its not something like diazepam or zopiclone rather just an anti-depressant or anti-psychotic that would make me get to sleep a bit more. Currently sleeping about two hours a night if added all up. So its either go into hospital (which I would hate) or carry on like this. co-codamol is bad but it helps me get through the night without getting to scared and its keeping out of hospital for now. (that sounds messed up to me but that is how it)

I am so sorry that your feeling is bad!! You are also struggling everyday!! and looking for nice care for yourself... I am struggling with many symptoms and try so hard to get good support, It is not easy to me!! I am doing my best to not die..to live..... I really understand what you feel. Really Really Really hope you can find better support and you can sleep well. Hope you can find good med for you!! I want to keep having hope. Please take care.

Thank you Maki - It should not be this hard to get the help that we need, that makes me cry. I will phone the duty worker tomorrow, hope you can do something positive as well.

Hey,

I am so sorry you're going through such an awful time! Professionals can be really off sometimes towards people with BPD and make us feel like we are just attention seeking and manipulative (2 words I hate). I have come across many 'unprofessional-professionals' over the past few years and it still angers me to my very core!! It is only now that I am in a relatively stable position and that is due to having very little to do with the mental health department (NHS) and paying priately for a good counsellor and other than that, suffering alone because the "treatment" i got from mental health services actually only ever made we worse.

Medications aren't really thought to be the treatment for BPD however I find that if your experiencing depression or very low mood that anti-depressants can help a little (not a huge lot but take off the edge).

When it comes to sleeping tablets many doctors won't perscribe them over a long term basis (although some do depending on the case) because people become addicted to them and then they can't sleep without them and I am guessing this is why you are being refused them.. or one of the reasons. If your telling them that your abusing co-codamol they aren't going to change your meds or perscribe anything because they are then wondering what else you could be taking or have the ability to take and if you may start mixing medications and unknowingly overdose. However I can understand were you are coming from and that you are just desperate for help and the reason you are telling them about the co-codamol etc is because you are trying to get them to realise how desperate you are and you do deserve help! I think it is awful that you keep trying to get help and are hitting brick walls at the moment.

I am unsure what to advise as you seem to be caught in a bad spot at the moment. You could try meditation tapes, my auntie and cousin swear by a guy called Glenn harrold who does a sleeping tape thing (can be downloaded on eye tunes), so you could try listening to that sort of thing. Trying to remove caffine and sugar from your food and drink in the evenings and before bed. reading a book can help you to relax and make you feel tired. Not being on the computer too late. Getting up early, doing some exercise during the day etc I know you have heard it all before and I pretty much hatd being given that type of advice so if your sitting rolling your eyes or cursing at me, I don't actually blame you lol ;) But it sounds like medication is a no- no.

Instead of taking large doses of co-codamol why not try a sleeping aid like Nytol or some type of sleeping tablet from the pharmacist. I don't really advise self medicating but if your going to do it with co-codamol that is even more dangerous than taking something designed for sleep. Be careful what your taking and mixing as some medications have paracetamol in them and you dont realise it and if you overdose on it, as others say, its a slow painful death as your organs shut down one by one! :wacko:

You don't mention that you actually have any mental health support like a CPN or key worker? Perhaps you would benefit more from some regular contact than from medications? Even if the GPs arent going to perscribe you medications you can still go in and speak to them, ask them what support you can get and see what happens, try a different GP in the practice. I have a large GP practice and have met some very arrogant ones in terms of their dealing with mental health and yet the GP I have actually been seeing for about 2-3 years now is in the same practice and has been brilliant so dont rule out someone from your practice being good.

all the best, my heart goes out to you, I know the pain!

xxxx

Archived