Mental Health Forums

Diet Help Please Guys

AmyP

Right im going on a serious diet, but the problem is i used to have an eating disorder so when i do it always goes like this;

1. Start eating healthy

2. Weight doesn't go down quick enough

3. All can think about is losing weight quicker

4. Start not eating as much until im eating practically nothing

5. Start panicking when i eat anything and make myself sick

6. Can't take it all so give up

Always the same pattern. Part of me wishes i had the strength to go back to my old ways properly, but its hard with my parents constantly watching me after last time. So im going for the 'healthy' way.

I really need your help guys, i cant stand failing and being miserable everytime it doesnt work out.

So does anyone have any hints or help they can give me so my weight goes down quicker but i dont revert back to my old ways, any tricks of the trade? Bearing in mind i live with my parents so cant really cook complicated meals.

If it helps i weigh 9.7 and i wanna get down to AT LEAST 9 stone.

Please i dont want anyone saying oh you dont need to lose weight or anything like that i just need tips and help.

Thanks guys really appreciate any advice.

your the same weight as me, and have the same target!!! :o i dropped down to 7.5 stone last year cause i coudnt face eating and i would love that figure again, but im being realistic...i think thats got to be the biggest step of all, and is my first bit of advice!

the easiest way to get weight off without really noticing is to cut out all alcohol....it really is scary how many calories are in it! the best drink cals wise is good champagne, so you can reward yourself with a bottle once a month or whatever :)

cutting even 100 calories a day out can help without you even noticing - its the equivalent of about 1/2 packet of crisps!

every pound of fat = 3500 calories, so doing a 500 calorie workout 5 days out of 7, will not only help burn off the pounds, but improving muscle use will improve the rate at which your body burns them!

my scales show not only stones and pounds, but ounzes too - seeing even 2 oz come off is psychologically beneficial and helps to give you encouragement to stick with things. also seeing it this way shows you losing the weight in a sensible and sustainable way.

i hope some of this helps a wee bit. good luck! x

Thanks hun some good advice there definately, its hard being realistic after seeing how quickly you get a result doing it the 'wrong' way, but its better in the long run xx

this is a good post

i have those same habits amy - horrible aint it :( i need ti maintain my weight but all i can think of is losing weight

i hope u can do it 'properly' - good luck!

try having an evening meal that only consists of protien and veg - no carbs. carbs are main fuel for body but in the evening we are usually chilling/sleeping so body doesn't need them so much and any excess gets stored as fat. Also by cutting down on carbs your body will start tapping into your fat reserves to use as fuel and you'll loose weight.

Also try eating a bit of protein at every meal to keep your bloody sugar balanced. Eat regularly - breakfast, lunch, dinner with snacks in between to keep your metabolism ticking over; that way your body won't go into starvation mode and think shit i have to cling on to this weight cos i'm not sure when i'm gonna get fed again.

If poss exercise first thing in morning before breakfast - that way you aren't just exercising to burn off what you've eaten your tapping into reserves and you will also be raising metabolism for period after so body is ultilizing calories more efficiently.

Make sure you use weights as well as doing cardio when excercising.

hope this helps x

Good thread :)

I am taking advice too,amy i am wanting to lose some weight too,I am starting at my local gym next month,unfortunatly though i am awful with my food,so fussy.

I will pick some advice up here i think :)

Good luck amy.

Have you ever tried nimble bread? It's great because it's so much lighter and half the calories of normal bread. If you have it for breakfast with your normal drink it'll set you up until lunchtime.

You can get sugar free jelly which is good if you need something sweet, but less than 10 calories.

I think losing the weight sensibly is great and because you have so little to lose it'll come off quite easily by just swapping normally high calorie food for the more speciality 'diet' stuff.

Plus drinking loads of water is great! (I am really trying not to give 'ED' tips, I hope what I have said isn't, I am still very stuck in my ED and do it the unhealthy way)

Ooh if you like coffee/cappuccino you can get cappuccino skinny pouches and they are great when you feel you fancy something sweet and filling.

Some good advice here, like the sound of nimble bread, even the name does it for me haha.

I know what you mean littlebird as soon as i miss a couple of meals my body clings to anything i can. Its like its learnt.

The jelly is a good one, used to do it but never though to go back to that.

Swapping my milk for the 1% stuff, its the little things lol. Also think not weighing myself everyday might help as that can make you feel like its not going anywhere.

Just impulse bought some ankle weights so we'll see how that goes haha.

Good luck with the diets everyone :) lets try and keep those pesky ED's away with some proper healthy dieting :)

amy xxxx

• 2 weeks later...

I have had an (edit) still have an obsessional way of eating.

please,please remember these facts below to help you. xo

Basicly littlebirds advice in more detail

1: cardio machines alone will not help you, you will need to build stronger muscle through resistance training.(if you choose)

If your body regularly sees you need the muscle it will try to keep it!! your body will then burn FAT 1st. You need this muscle to keep away the pounds...

2: Eat.. But not that 3 meal a day concept.

Eat a good breakfast, and then a couple of hundred calories every couple of hours, try to be balanced and mix things up, like tuna salad with a glass of orange juice.

Doing this will tell your body that there is a regular supply of food and will be obliged to speed up your metabolism.

Dont leave a gap between eating longer than 3 hours, because this is when your body will start to flag. and you will get a sugar/fat craving!

And at night before bed, drink a small glass of milk, this helps because its so slow burning it will give your body a slow dripfeed of calories to keep your metabolism up.

And dont forget, wake up and eat to keep it remaining high.

You can find out your needed calorie intake through various online calculators.

to lose weight take off 500kcal per day no more and NEVER go below 1000 calories total intake.

split your day into calories and time, say 6 meals at around 2.5 hours at around 150-200 kcal.

if you train dont forget your natural calorie intake should be higher. look at the calculators

3: Treat yourself, maybe a couple of times a week have that slice of cherry pie with custard or whatever.

Your body will appreciate a change and so will you, dont feel guilty. this will keep you going and stop you getting bored.

And dont forget to drink plenty of water, this will help with the whole process.

4: 1 to 2 pound a week is about your limit on fat loss, anymore than that is muscle and water. which isnt very good. And your obviously doing something wrong.

think of it this way if it sounds like nothing.

It takes a 'made up' man 10 years to get to 20 stone. And then he thinks he will get down to 14stone in 2 months.

Its obvious its not going to happen, but because his ideal has been set by the fad diets thats what he expects.

he will go from fad to fad maybe lose some weight maybe not. but never in control.

Had he take control and lost 2 pound a week it would only take him like 10 months to get down to size. which is very quick!

Fair enough you want to lose minimum 7 pound you should spend a couple of days making sure you are well fed as stated above and are well watered.

Then reweigh your true weight. And good luck.

And dont forget 6 meals a day 7 days a week is 42 meals a week, a couple of crap ones is no damage.

Its what you do for the majority that counts.

oh and when you get down to a size your comfortable with put back on those 500kcal per day.

Sorry if this post seems hectic to read ill try to edit it a bit

iv got the same problem after years of eating disorders i find it impossible to actually be "normal" when it comes to dieting or sticking to a regular plan, i always start with good intentions but it ends up a mess and i give up.

just a couple of questions is eating every few hours really effective? people say this a lot but does it actually work?

also what if you dont get up at the same time everyday for instance when im at work i get up at 9:30 but when im not its anytime til 12...does that make any difference?

atrofdrowning, ive never actually tried this myself as it makes me feel like a pig :/ the logic behind it seems sounds but my ED ghost simply won't let me. Sorry i cant answer your question x

thats the same reason i havnt really and ive always had the mentality of eating twice a day from before eds started and i never had breakfast either coz for me i just end up adding extra cals it doesnt make me eat less personally

• 2 weeks later...

amy p have you lost any weight, if i may ask? i now weigh just over 11stones which i am so not happy about it's the heaviest i've ever been. i'm 5ft10 and i want to get back down to 9stones. i have put weight on because of the tablets i am taking which i am weaning off over 4 weeks.

Abigail-Laura

• 1 month later...

Hi Pandora, Your dieting techniques is what is known as yo yo dieting, and each time you try to eat very little your body metabolism slows down then when you do eat, your body wants to hold on to it then when you gain weight its back again dieting. Eating healthy is the only way,like moody says which i agree with what hes saying, first you have to be properly hydrated and well nourished for your correct weight.(see estimated requirements). Then start making little changes, eating clean food, low fat, low salt, low sugar, more complex carbs. I recommend you follow the eatwell plate,based on evidence. http://www.food.gov.uk/healthiereating/eatwellplate/. Eating lots of small meals will speed up your metabolism and if its clean food e.g rice, veg, fish it wont take long for your body to break it down. Is also worth remembering that after you exercise the bodys metabolism is elevate between 3-36hrs so a good time to restore nutrients (healthy eating)its the bodys way of paying back the oxygen deficit. Breakfast is the most important meal of the day ( dont miss). Breakfast ( break the fast)your bodies been fasting all night...

As an estimate for energy/ nutritional requirements the schofields equation is used for the indiviual.

Example, this is for a female 18-29yrs old

14.8 x weight (KG) + 487 = Basic metabolic rate (BMR)what your body requires if just laying down all day.

Added to this is a physical activity level (PAL), Which with a light occupation and moderately active lifestyle is 1.5 so

14.8 x weight + 487 x 1.5 = KCals

e.g 14.8 x 60kg(9st 7)+ 487 X 1.5 = 2062 kcals starting point...... then drop the 500kcals

This is what most dietitians and nutritionists use.

Take Care Kind Regards JC :)

hi pandora, i dropped 5 kgs by fasting the whole entire last month.i would eat very little in the night, no sweets and drank lots of water, and ate fruits.

• 1 month later...

Hi Pandora I really like this thread as well. I actually thought to myself about a month ago I really need to lose some weight but every time I try to do so I start out by exercising (walking 3 miles in a row) and eating healthy. I lose anywhere from 15 lbs to 20 lbs then I plateau! So I get upset and no matter what I do I can't lose more weight so I quit and go back to me cheeseburgers and pizza. I destroy myself with negative comments about how fat I am and how I can't stick to anything I try and of course that's when I emotion eat which means I eat more and it's junk food. I also eat late at night then go to bed. This time I decided to do something different and not start out gung ho and see how I do? this is my diet.

1) Always eat breakfast I do 2 eggs 2 pieces of wheat toast with I can't believe it's not butter spray. (you must use the spray because it's fat free!)

2) Drink 8 glasses of water a day or more 1 glass=8 oz

3) No soda or alcohol

4) I eat lots of salad but it must be the kind with romaine and spinach in it because iceberg lettuce serves no purpose to losing weight.

5) Eat beans! I eat vegetarian beans and re-fried beans I even make burritos with re-fried beans,a little cheese,onion,and fat free sour cream! Green beans as long as no salt added you can eat as many as you want all day long. I use a whole can per serving.

Late night snacks are grapes,strawberries,popcorn (no butter or salt) and wheat crackers with peanut butter on them but not too many crackers ok baby carrots and rice cakes too.

Somehow I have in around a months time lost 20 lbs! I was 280 and now I'm 260. and I haven't exercised one bit.

Seriously high fiber equals more weight loss according to the book I read and beans are high in fiber.

Good luck Pandora!

My god this is like reading clips from my diary...scary but at the same time comforting that it isn't just me who struggles like this....it's an all or nothing thing for me, thats the only way to discribe it...my partner is the one who suffers because he see's me yet cant do a thing about it because he wont risk me going off at him...i wish i had some advice i really do but i am the last person who can help. just wanted to offer my support and not read and run (((hugs))) xx

Archived