Mental Health Forums

Movies Ever Leave You Feeling Gutted?

hummm_mabbe

Hullo

SPOILERS FOR MOVIE 'RESCUE DAWN'

I dunno if its cuz Ive had a couple of stressey days, but I just watched the movie 'rescue dawn' on iplayer with christian bale. You sort of watch him and a friend go through endless hell to try and escape from vietnam after being made a POW, and then suddenly, just when you think they are getting there, his best friend is beheaded. Like totally unceremoniously.

It left me feeling like someone had just swung a baseball bat at my legs, sort of felt horribly numb for a bit. Then at the end he is rescued and I blubbed like a babbie chiddle. Now I just sort of feel a bit stunned.

Movies ever affect you like that? Sort of feel like you've been through it yourself?

I wish he hadnt had to be killed like that, it was just like OMFG and I really liked the guy :( Sort of stuck in me head now booooooooooooooo

Sorry needed to wafflety

Ross

*hugs rossy*

i sometimes feel a bit like that after watching a movie. perhaps not in the same vein, but watching "one flew over the cuckoos nest" leaves me feeling greatful im not locked away :(

I don't feel like i've been through it when i watch a movie. But i do cry alot when i see a film. Last film i watched that made me cry was sense and sensibility

irreversible really disturbed me. would like to watch it again cos its a good film but just can't face the horror of it.

a couple of david lynch films ('blue velvet' and some of the 'twin peaks' series) have weirded me out and made me feel ill in spirit. theres just something about what he expresses that seems too real. but all his other films are probably my favourite films ever.

narcissa- i love the film of sense and sensibility. its so emotional at the end can see why you cried ! xxxx

Ross I relate to this. When I'm out of sorts,I have to be really careful what I watch as films can turn me inside out. Know exactly how you feel.

i watched one on human trafficking earlier this year, young girls tricked into coming to Britain and forced to work as prostitutes. Was AWFUL and the state I was in, I wanted to jump off a bridge. Simply could not get head round the fact that people could be so cold blooded to each other and take pleasure in it! Oh!

So, no more nasties for me, simply not strong enough at the mo! Its a strict diet of footie, tennis and Glasto at the mo.

Watch something nice, hun :) xxxxxxxxxxx

I've been left an absolute emotional wreck over some films, they don't even have to be particularly sad ones.

I watched Valkyrie in the cinema and i was the only person who cried, i walked out the cinema with mascara pouring down my face and i felt emotionally exhausted for weeks, got proper depressed over it.

But its TV shows that get me most, i get so into the storylines and the characters, i've actually become suicidal over some shows.. especially if my favourite character gets killed off or the show ends.

I have to be really careful over what i watch, cos i get too involved.

I don't get feeling out of sorts just because something is sad. The thing I have to watch out for is anything depicting cruelty or injustice, especially when it's perpetrated by the powerful against the weak/vulnerable. Stuff like police brutality, bullying, child abuse. Really anything along those lines. It upsets my stomach and triggers VERY BAD anger / vengeance fantasies. My mind gets stuck on these themes and it interferes with my ability to function/focus on other things.

((((((((((((((Rossie)))))))))))))))))

I get this a lot. Films, books, newspapers, TV soaps. Everything really. It is why hubbie banned me from soaps and why I don't watch the news anymore. Maybe one day when I am stronger but for now I am better off without all that negativity and gossip mongering. I cry over nearly all films that might be cry worthy.

*hugs rossy*

i sometimes feel a bit like that after watching a movie. perhaps not in the same vein, but watching "one flew over the cuckoos nest" leaves me feeling greatful im not locked away :(

I liked 'cuckoo' :) Tis defo disturbing, and I know I watched it back in my 'bunged up' days (am more emotionally floppy now). Remember the river of blood thing whooaaaaaaaaa :o

Or am I confusing it with another movie lol

I don't feel like i've been through it when i watch a movie. But i do cry alot when i see a film. Last film i watched that made me cry was sense and sensibility

I dont usually either, I think it musta been the mood I was already in. That one scene just made me feel like "ugh", like all totally hopeless. Woke up thinking of it lol but changed thought to sneezing dogs instead :)

Ross

irreversible really disturbed me. would like to watch it again cos its a good film but just can't face the horror of it.

a couple of david lynch films ('blue velvet' and some of the 'twin peaks' series) have weirded me out and made me feel ill in spirit. theres just something about what he expresses that seems too real. but all his other films are probably my favourite films ever.

narcissa- i love the film of sense and sensibility. its so emotional at the end can see why you cried ! xxxx

I remember twin peaks, with that backwards speaking midget lol

Ross I relate to this. When I'm out of sorts,I have to be really careful what I watch as films can turn me inside out. Know exactly how you feel.

i watched one on human trafficking earlier this year, young girls tricked into coming to Britain and forced to work as prostitutes. Was AWFUL and the state I was in, I wanted to jump off a bridge. Simply could not get head round the fact that people could be so cold blooded to each other and take pleasure in it! Oh!

So, no more nasties for me, simply not strong enough at the mo! Its a strict diet of footie, tennis and Glasto at the mo.

Watch something nice, hun :) xxxxxxxxxxx

Yus I think i was just in a bit of a sensitive state, what with stressey couple of days. Tis a day of sport today, bit of F1 which will prolly send me to sleep as is boring track, then will watch engerlundey vs die deutsche

I don't get feeling out of sorts just because something is sad. The thing I have to watch out for is anything depicting cruelty or injustice, especially when it's perpetrated by the powerful against the weak/vulnerable. Stuff like police brutality, bullying, child abuse. Really anything along those lines. It upsets my stomach and triggers VERY BAD anger / vengeance fantasies. My mind gets stuck on these themes and it interferes with my ability to function/focus on other things.

Oh me toooo. I have to just try to be mindful of all the angries those things bring up and watch it doesnt spill over into reality :lol:

((((((((((((((Rossie)))))))))))))))))

I get this a lot. Films, books, newspapers, TV soaps. Everything really. It is why hubbie banned me from soaps and why I don't watch the news anymore. Maybe one day when I am stronger but for now I am better off without all that negativity and gossip mongering. I cry over nearly all films that might be cry worthy.

LOL OMG banned from soaps awwwwwww

I avoid the news too, for lots of reasons. Tends to set off me angries, plus after doing a media studies A-level I dont trust a thing that comes out of their mouths lol. Quite why ppl think the BBC is any less open to bias and 'influence' than newspapers is beyond me - some folks just think "oh BBC, people with posh voices, must be truthful" but the editors and people at the top still went to eton and cambridge with their mates who run the government ... anyways Ill shut up now ...

Lol at cry worthy :) I tend to cry at things that, if I look closely, relate to my 'issues', but I think last night was just release. Was v stressed

Ross

Hear hear on the friggin Beeb ross! Wate of money licence fee. :angry:

Yours,

Angry

Tunbridge Wells.

**fedup! turning into grumpy old woman, oh dear!**

Hear hear on the friggin Beeb ross! Wate of money licence fee. :angry:

Yours,

Angry

Tunbridge Wells.

**fedup! turning into grumpy old woman, oh dear!**

Grump away :) More people should question what they hear and read IMHO ... **kicks away soap box before being tempted to mount it**

Ross

I totally agree!!! Why can't the Beeb advertise like the rest of the world? :angry:

I would say that for me, the channel that is dubbed least likely to be corrupt is the biggest candidate for corruption! It's like propoganda but in the war of the TV channels instead!

I think the whole "cry worthy" thing is cos I seem to empathise with about everyone on the planet and always see it from everyone's point of view and it is hard to switch this off *sniffle* just please don't make me watch Bambi ever again! I cried so much. I sat in the cinema and cried through Titanic and didn't sleep for a month over it! It was a tad of an over-reaction I know, but the faces of the people in the water all frozen to death got burned into my soul and I just couldn't sleep for it. I swore never to watch it again and I only managed to see it like 3 years later. Oh the list goes on..... *waaaaaaaaaaah*

But mainly it isn't the plt or story or major action that gets me, it's more the subtelties like it was the frozen people not the loss of her lover that got me. Often it is how people move or react that gets me more than what actually happens if you get what I mean.

Yeah, i know that feeling. I cant watch Thirteen and Girl, interrupted without crying. Both I feel have some aspects of my life in them. I feel every part in my body breaking. I even had the Thirteen OST on my p-pod (my mp3 but i call it a p pod for some odd reason) so i could cry when i was feeling down. Not a good idea.

the poem from thirteen

He was crippled,

But only his body was cracked.

It's not simple,

Nor is an easy matter to explain.

Lets just leave it at that she says,

And closes the holy book of lies.

She covers her eyes, denying to herself

What she thought happened.

when i'm feeling fragile i try to only watch rom coms because then i wont get disturbed (well... maybe by the bad acting ..) I just saw 'Boy' which was funny, and also 'Paper heart' which i really recommend, it's a fake documentary about 'what love means' and it stars Charlyne Yi and Micheal Cera, its just a cute lil 'love story'.

The films that have made a big impact on my are ones like 'a clockwork orange'- i actually felt sick the same time as Alex did in the film, ugh!

My fav film is 'Eternal sunshine of the spotless mind' because it gives me hope.

Hullo

SPOILERS FOR MOVIE 'RESCUE DAWN'

I dunno if its cuz Ive had a couple of stressey days, but I just watched the movie 'rescue dawn' on iplayer with christian bale. You sort of watch him and a friend go through endless hell to try and escape from vietnam after being made a POW, and then suddenly, just when you think they are getting there, his best friend is beheaded. Like totally unceremoniously.

It left me feeling like someone had just swung a baseball bat at my legs, sort of felt horribly numb for a bit. Then at the end he is rescued and I blubbed like a babbie chiddle. Now I just sort of feel a bit stunned.

Movies ever affect you like that? Sort of feel like you've been through it yourself?

I wish he hadnt had to be killed like that, it was just like OMFG and I really liked the guy :( Sort of stuck in me head now booooooooooooooo

Sorry needed to wafflety

Ross

yep

i way over empathetic

just gota make sure im safe first, then becareful of whats getting triggered and what to do about that, all bout supporting myself and sometimes is knowing limits

Everyime I watch a film as soon as its over I get an awful swing of depression. Especially ones were they're emotional or I wish I was there instead of here. For example I only allow myself to watch Avatar when I'm feeling good, because even then I come out so depressed and deflated so when I'm down it's so much worse.

When I watched Girl, Interrupted for the first time I nearly killed myself. It just made me feel so out of it and I wandered around the rest of a day in a dreamlike state with major downness.

So yeah I love films but they really don't do me any good haha

I watched the film Skin the other day with Sam Niel, the story of Sandra Laing, born "Coloured" to white parents in 1950's south africa, I cried my eyes out at it, and afterwards felt shatered, I even had to go online and try and find out whether she ever made up with her brothers, brilliant but very sad film. Totally know how you all feel, I am also like it with soaps, Dramas, books, etc etc, I thought I was gonna have a breakdown when Ashes to Ashes finished, I still feel gutted now that I know what it was all about. I cannot watch anything with a horror theme, it really gets inside my head and I start to see shadows in the dark, and hear whispers, and cannot watch anything related to the devil, even if it has the devil in the title but it's a comedy film, wierd the way my mind works.

Archived