Mental Health Forums

If You Could Do Any Job, What Would It Be?

hummm_mabbe

a tad presumptuous being as i was answering seriously - but hey ho...

I realise all this stuff is important to everyone. My playful response doesnt mean I am devaluing it, thats just me being me. Sorry if that came across badly or it seemed I was belittling your choice - thats absolutely the last thing I would want to do.

as i said - hey ho... my fault for posting a serious answer... should know better by now...

Hi chips

It sounds like you have shared something that was actually very important to you, meaningful, and that it feels like I have dismissed and belittled what you said.

Im truly sorry if I seemed like I looked down on you, your desires or things that are important for you. Being playful is not, for me, the same thing as not taking another person seriously. Being playful was my way of actually trying (however cack handedly) to approve of what others are saying. I wanted to encourage people to talk about their fantasies in that job, play around with where they could go with it, but in doing that I feel like I have made you feel the total opposite - that I see your desires as meaningless.

I think thats useful to know - that when you share something, it is important to you and valuable. Im sorry for not realising this, and am glad you did reveal what you most wanted to be.

Ross

i was a dj for a couple of years, something which i dreamt of doing for years, but when your lugging heavy gear around at 4am or trying to get a dull crowd going it does lose a little bit of its appeal! lmao!

oww lucky you! i think i am blessed to have spent time with people who are at very top of the game playing at huge nights, people who are trying to make it playing at smaller venues and those who just do it for a hobby but what strikes me is that they all feel as equally as ethusiastic. For me when you get those moments when performer and audience connect and are as equally passionate its magic!!

hell yeah! that moment where everyone is on the same level is deffo the best bit! sometimes you can do that by playing the track everyones been waiting for, other times you pull out a total classic that peeps remember from years back and everyone hits the floor! fabulous days :) longest i ever played was 16 hours straight, at cowal games.....i was soaked to the skin, but wouldve played longer if i was able as i was so wired on red bull and the moment!

ive still got some of my gear - enough to noise up the neighbours occasionally! lmao!

if its something you would like to do, then go for it! :) decide what sort of crowd u would like to play to, and get some practice in before going for it :D i played either pubs or small club nights and also did weddings and birthdays, which meant i could indulge on all my different tastes and was never bored :)

i was a dj for a couple of years, something which i dreamt of doing for years, but when your lugging heavy gear around at 4am or trying to get a dull crowd going it does lose a little bit of its appeal! lmao!

oww lucky you! i think i am blessed to have spent time with people who are at very top of the game playing at huge nights, people who are trying to make it playing at smaller venues and those who just do it for a hobby but what strikes me is that they all feel as equally as ethusiastic. For me when you get those moments when performer and audience connect and are as equally passionate its magic!!

hell yeah! that moment where everyone is on the same level is deffo the best bit! sometimes you can do that by playing the track everyones been waiting for, other times you pull out a total classic that peeps remember from years back and everyone hits the floor! fabulous days :) longest i ever played was 16 hours straight, at cowal games.....i was soaked to the skin, but wouldve played longer if i was able as i was so wired on red bull and the moment!

ive still got some of my gear - enough to noise up the neighbours occasionally! lmao!

if its something you would like to do, then go for it! :) decide what sort of crowd u would like to play to, and get some practice in before going for it :D i played either pubs or small club nights and also did weddings and birthdays, which meant i could indulge on all my different tastes and was never bored :)

oww oww oww awesome i love hearing little stories like this! :)

i'm always too frightened to try - and i hate standing up in front of people being the centre of attention it makes me feel sick! one day maybe i'll get over all the stuff that stops me and give it a go!

this post actually made me cry earlier cos its so clear that we all have hopes, dreams and aspirations - i hope we are all able to chase these one day - its sad that our illnesses can be a barrier for what we really want in life.

i had to go to the dentist today and on the way home ended up sat on a wall in the sunshine stuffing a box of chocolates in my face whilst contemplating getting on a bus and running away (as you do!) and i thought i know the person i'd like to be and what i'd like to be doing with my life but instead its come to this. I'm stuck with this rubbish mental brain that does its best to sabotage my life!

this post actually made me cry earlier cos its so clear that we all have hopes, dreams and aspirations - i hope we are all able to chase these one day - its sad that our illnesses can be a barrier for what we really want in life.

i had to go to the dentist today and on the way home ended up sat on a wall in the sunshine stuffing a box of chocolates in my face whilst contemplating getting on a bus and running away (as you do!) and i thought i know the person i'd like to be and what i'd like to be doing with my life but instead its come to this. I'm stuck with this rubbish mental brain that does its best to sabotage my life!

Was about to reply saying, I totally get ya when I heard a cheerful little voice call out from the bath tub "BAPPY!" (her way of saying "I'm happy". One of my favourite parts of being a mum is running her a big hot bubble bath and laying out clean clothes..I have no idea why it's so satisfying, but it is. Having been classified a gifted child from the get go, I have serious suspicions that had I been undamaged by trauma I would've been an Academic and not a single mum of a special needs child. (Because choices aren't real choices when you are seriously ill).

My illness is unfair but I've still got things which are really precious to me because of it. Plus, of course, a whole lot of indescribable pain, suffering, and loss.

Was about to reply saying, I totally get ya when I heard a cheerful little voice call out from the bath tub "BAPPY!" (her way of saying "I'm happy". One of my favourite parts of being a mum is running her a big hot bubble bath and laying out clean clothes..I have no idea why it's so satisfying, but it is. Having been classified a gifted child from the get go, I have serious suspicions that had I been undamaged by trauma I would've been an Academic and not a single mum of a special needs child. (Because choices aren't real choices when you are seriously ill).

My illness is unfair but I've still got things which are really precious to me because of it. Plus, of course, a whole lot of indescribable pain, suffering, and loss.

OMG how cute - bappy! I might have to start using that :)

Ross

I would love to be a Marine Biologist even though i can't swim that well. Or something with sharks :huh:

How cool! :) I remember seeing people doing dives with lemon sharks or something at a marine conservation centre thingie, blimey that must have taken guts ... is that what you would like to do, be close to them? If you cant swim then maybe diving is for you, tis a lot less effort :)

It amazes me that there are still millions of undiscovered species and some parts of our oceans that are as unknown as the other planets in our solar system :o

Ross

I really would like to study Great Whites in particular as i am sure they are not as fearsome as made out. Yea i swam with dolphins both in a conservation area and in the wild, it was from here that i went on to dive with Nursing shareks and have been lucky enough to do a cage dive.

My son shares the same passion with sharks as me. So long as thats all he shares i am happy.

Scally xx

I really want to be a psychologist. This has been an ambition for quite a while, but since experiencing mental ill health myself and getting through it (I'm SO much better now than I was), the desire has become much stronger. I'm starting to make it happen too - doing an OU introductory course this year then hopefully taking out a loan next year to do a postgraduate conversion. It was either this or medicine but I think I want this more.

Amazing how many of us would like to be therapists or psychologists/psychiatrists! you would have thought we all would have had enough of MH issues! but that would have been one of my sensible answers! Am thinking of taking an AS in psycology next year and working up to masters over the next 5 so i can be an educational psychologist.. but worried that like a lot of jobs.. it looks a lot better from the outside looking in!

on the lighter side Can I be a quality control tester for galaxy plz!.. or maybe a live model for trainee masseurs (cant spell)

Dancer(which I almost was) or psychiatrist.

And I always say in next life I will come back as tough man and be an FBI profiler.

Lilly

Hehe if I was well I'd be super woman and do all these jobs at once... *deep breath*

dance teacher,

proffessional dancer,

nail and hair artist,

psychologist,

community worker,

FBI crime lab person that wears a white coat (gotta love a white coat :wub: )

behaviour analyst,

criminal profiler.

But I've already done the dance teacher and I've just started my dream job...self employed children's entertainer and party planner :D

Yay! Go me!!! ^_^

I nearly applied to be a chocolate tester once, that would be pretty cool (I didn't apply cos the pay was rubbish! The perks were tempting)...

Other than that I don't know, I kinda have the job I've always wanted to do. (please don't say how fab that is, cos sadly it's not)

Archived