Mental Health Forums

Email I Just Sent

Villan

OK

So this thing has been winding me up for weeks now i have been dep and anx and v angry about the whole thing tbh and i decided that instead of just moaning to my club-mates i would be proactive and write to the chairman of the league... i dunno what i expect to get back from them, but i think that just by writing it has helped me loads...

I guess most of you probably wont understand the content, but wanted to post it anyways... actually i am not sure why i wanna post it, i just do... :wacko:

here t'is...

Firstly I apologise if this is not the correct way of voicing my concerns, however I feel that I must write to the league on the matter of clubs providing scorers.

I have been a club scorer for over 25 years, mostly in <This county>. I am ECB ACO Qualified and currently score for <club name> 1st XI in <league & division>. I have noticed a steady decline in the number of scorers over recent years, but I never remember it being as bad as it is just now.

We have played 7 games so far this season. Admittedly I myself missed the opening game due to family holiday; however of the remaining 6 games I have scored this season, I have been the lone scorer in 5 of these matches. Now it may be that it is just the luck of the draw that we have drawn the “no scorer” clubs early in the season and that I will spend the remainder of the summer happily partnered up with a fellow scorer. However I suspect this will not be the case.

Personally speaking, I am not enjoying my cricket this year. I work long hours in a full time job and to be honest with you, scoring on my own – and yes, some clubs are reluctant to score even when they are batting – for 100 overs is becoming too much for me. I don’t want to let my club down, but fear I may have to give up myself before too long if this situation remains.

I understand that this has been spoken about before with a view to penalising clubs for not providing a scorer, and I fear that until this is introduced, or something else is done, then clubs will do nothing to remedy the situation on their own. Let’s not forget that the majority of the clubs in <the division> are clubs that field more than one senior team on a Saturday as well as having colts teams, surely more effort could be made in finding someone willing to score.

I look forward to your thoughts on the matter.

With best regards

Kath..........

Anyways... thanks for reading... xx

that's a brill letter chips and I hope you see another scorer beside you very soon, good luck hun xxx

thanks both... do feel better sending it - know it prolly wont do anything, but at least i can say i tried !

xxx

being scottish, ive absolutely no clue about what your on about, cricket wise! lol! however, i feel you have voiced your concerns in a fabulous manner and i hope you get the results which your seeking :) well done chipsy xxx

ty :)

i set my fb status to what i done, forgetting that secretary of my cricket club is fb friend - oopsie - but she is also gonna write from the club to say same thing...

result !

yay!! lol touch of fate btw i know naff all bout cricket but u expressed it well in the letter.... scoring sounds very involved ^_^ x

well... after my fb convo with the sec of our club, the vice cap of the team also fb chatted me and i unloaded it all off on him... bless him he is only a kiddie (early 20s) and he was loverly to me and reiterated what a good job i do and how they (he) would miss me if i did quit...

so today i feel better about it all - probably should have opened up to people before writing to league, but i am still in the learning stage of acting on feelings and at least i did something before i exploded or just quit this time... so i am quite proud of myself :)

for info, without boring you, scoring involves writing EVERYTHING that happens down against the people that have done them - bear in mind that we play 50 over a side matches which takes 3 hours per side, with only a 20 minute break in between... so basically i have to sit in one place and concentrate for 3 hours solid x 2 and get it all right - taxing at the best of times, without being on my own and not knowing half of the people on the pitch, and who to record stuff against... plus the fact that scoring on your own is boring as there is noone to chat to !!!!

omg chipsy!!! its not a break your needing - its a bloody endurance medal!!!! *hugs*

okies, to me cricket is not exactly exciting, so to think your standing there for hours writing down everything that happens is shocking! if that was me, i would demand a weeks white water rafting after every match just to un-numb! lol! seriously, i think you have done so well in speaking up and although you were made to feel appreciated, its good that people are now aware of your feelings too. go chipsy! :) xxxx

update for those who's interested :)

yesterday was awesome...

the opposition actually had a scorer - yayyyyyyyyyyyyyy

the secretary of our club came up to our match to check they did and also to tell all our players that i had been upset by this season so far

she is going to name and shame the offending clubs to the league cos my captain is going to email her every week if the oppo dont have a scorer so the situation will be monitored "live"

my players have been asked to be more supportive of me if i am faced with scoring on my own and be more mindful of the stress that it causes me...

i had so many "we appreciate you" pep talks coupled with hugs last night in bar after game and i have been told by several people to come to them if anything upsets me again - which i have promised to do rather than let it fester... i even explained about my "personality difficulties" regarding speaking out and standing up for myself to some people, told them i was still learning how to do this stuff, and they actually understood and cared...

so i actually have the backing of the whole club fighting my issue and maybe the league will do something about changing the rules to penalise repeat offender clubs in future... well - we can only hope...

o and it also helped that the match was a local derby and we thrashed their asses by 9 wickets :D

all in all feel way better about things - which is, as some of you know, important to me as cricket has been the only constant thing in my life since i was 13 - the only thing i have stuck with and not given up, and as such is very precious to me... it really devastated me that i wasnt enjoying it this year... it has also brought me closer to some people, and the fact that they care so much and not just seen me as a winging girl (which is what i was most scared of) another lil bit of self worth to take from this...

so although i been through pain, i have learned alot and can take loadsa positives from this... which i guess is all part of the rich tapestry of life ! lol

thanks for reading :)

That is just BRILLIANT chips!!!! So pleased for you and WELL DONE for speaking up and that letter was amazing!! xxxxxx

oh chipsy hun.....thats fabulous! its wonderful that everyone is on your side, and action is being taken - im so proud of you for standing up for yourself and telling it as it was :D

btw....whats a wicket, and is 9 good? lol! xxx

sounds like your way under appreciated there chippy....

but i cant understand why if the enemy (other side) dont have a scorer its more work for you....

noone to kep their score, bad luck to them... (that wasnt 5 runs, it was only 4)

thanks sanctuary :) xxxx

sloane - winning by 9 wickets means basically we thrashed them :D

and stew - i would love to cheat, but i) its not in my nature, ii) we will prolly win anyways without it and iii) sadly at the level we play, alot of the umpires keep score so wouldnt get away with it - nice thought tho... :)

as for the rest of it - we will have to see how the rest of the season pans out... as we all know talk is cheap, lets see if the actions back it up (still working on my cynicism lol)

xxx

yayyyy i got a reply...

here t'is - equally you prolly wont understand - but trust me - it is a good answer :) feelings acknowledged and situation agreed with and action proposed... Yayyyyyyyyyyyyy - result :)

Hi Kath - many thanks for your email.

Yes this is an unsatisfactory situation.

A couple of years ago I suggested to the County Division clubs that they would gain points by providing both an umpire and scorer (3 points for each), but unsurprisingly they rejected the proposal.

Perhaps we should revisit the idea for just CD1 or if better apply the SEPL rule which means that a player has to score (and not play) if the team does not bring a scorer.

I'll raise your concerns at the next Management meeting.

thats great you got a reply that acknowledges everything you said....... well done chipsy :D

• 1 month later...

TRIGGER BAD LANGUAGE

Reply just in...

Hi Kath

We discussed the point you raise at our last committee meeting, and currently we do not feel that the clubs would support a rule change to insist on providing a scorer in CD1. Sad but all we can do at the moment is to continue to emphasise the importance of a scorer in all League games but particularly in CD1.

However if you have any ideas of how best to encourage teams to provide a scorer we would be very pleased to consider them.

Regards - Jonathan

FUCKING BUNCH OF CUNTS

ANGRY DOES NOT COME CLOSE TO WHAT I AM FEELING

Think you did great hun. I dont know anything about cricket but your letter was amazing! very well written and you got your point across really well! Glad things have gotten better now, its a nice change to hear of a problem turning out well!

Really pleased for you dude xxx

Archived