Mental Health Forums

How Do You Get Out Of A Depression

Narcissa

what do you do to feel better? I've tried reading a book, listening to happy music and watching harry potter (which to me is an extremely happy thing for me) but it doesn't seem to work. I just feel like i want to die regardless of what i try.

Distraction is not enough. Find something that pulls you in that enthuses you. What have you always wanted to try your hand at? Where have you always wanted to go? What makes you feel safe?

I need to talk about the thing which is bothering me, with people I know and trust will accept and support me. Makes me feel soooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooo (13 pages later) oooooooooooooooooo much better :)

Ross

Thats what makes depression so shitty,that feeling nothing matters,nothing makes you feel better.

Think its awesome good of you,youre trying!

Some things that help me;

-Dressing up nice so I feel all pretty

-Doing something nice for someone,surprise them

-Cooking/baking

-Chatting with people on MSN

-A cool shower and give myself facial and such

-Going out buying myself nice magazine or something

-movies,books but you already mentioned those

-Take photo's

-Paint,draw,write

Lilly

thanks for all your ideas. I'd like to study psychology. I think that definately would help me get out of this funk i'm in. But on the other hand is that the voice inside my head tells me constantly that i'd never be able to do it.

i learned how to weld and also went bungee jumping - the few weeks before the jump was spent getting sponsors, so that gave me something positive to aim for. perhaps you could do something like that to take you through the summer and then start a college/uni/OU course in september? just a few thoughts...bests wishes xxx

Certainly for me having time to think does me no good at all. Thinking about myself dosent do my any good. I will play out scenarios of the future in my head and there are never any good ones unless i go into full on day dream mode where miracles happen. I thought about trying to learn spanish. found a free website but im thinking straight away i wont be able to do it. What i hate most with my depression is it never really leaves me. If im watching something on tv thats funny, or a film that i like. I can for tiny moments live in that moment. But then its like having a scarfe on all the time, i can always feel its there. I do feel people can help. Thou with depression can come a will to want to hide away and not see people. If you do have proper friends you can talk to they really can help. But i know they are rare to have sadly. For me i feel i need outside help to gently push me in the right direction. As i sure dont know what direction i should go in. And to be encouraged really. To have lots of , " well dones", maybe in a over the top way just to encourage me. Thou got get out of it ? Well i havent done it and its been a long time for me. And i cant take my own advice on this. But somehow its looking to fill those hours of the day when were awake in a postive way. To be doing something that gives us purpose. To have friends and family to see when not working. To have things to look forward to i think is imporatant to. To fill our lives up so we dont have that time to think and over annaylise things. I wish you all the best.

I try to go for walks in beautiful places, and actually stop every know and then to admire the view and think of all the things that are "right" with me and to be thankful for, starting with, "I am so grateful that my vision is fine and that I can see and admire this view", "thank god foe 4 working limbs to be able to walk to this spot and admire the view" you get the jist!

I also used to do voluntary work with a disabled swimming group.. some of the people there had so many more "problems" than me, but where funny, optomistic and cheerful, it put me to shame a bit and made me prioritise my life

having said that, all those things help, but depression for me is a chemical imbalance, the most important tools in fighting it are to eat a sensible diet, not take depressant drugs like alcohol, tobacco and dope, to try to get 20 mins gentle excercise/fresh air a day, and to try to stick to regular sleep times and daily routines.

Alcohol and dope are the big issues... they really drag you down! :huh:

Lots of sober huggles!

:hug2:

i am trying the same as u narcissa, books, films etc, but part of me thinks f*ck it.i try to give ppl support on here, and look thru my dbt books for hints and tips but it is only ever at temporary solution.

good luck with finding something that helps.

cad

If you want to study psychology but think its too much why not start with a good course??

Lilly

thanks for all your ideas. I'd like to study psychology. I think that definately would help me get out of this funk i'm in. But on the other hand is that the voice inside my head tells me constantly that i'd never be able to do it.

Don't listen to that voice! It holds me back too. Its lack of confidence. Tell the voice to fuck off. :)

i try not to sit and think..i feel it always makes me feel so much worse

things i try and do are...baking with the kids, cleaning, and i like sewing...bought a sewing machine now my house is filled with cushions and my girls rooms are covered in bunting!! ...things that make me have to concetrate are what i try to do...amber loves making playdough..as much as its not difficult it still lifts me because i love to see her smile :D i also read alot xx

i kno wat u mean bout ' i jus want to die'. Get it alot, i went to bbq yesterday which ws gd step but oh my god wen ppl wer craking jokes and drinking and smiling, it actually pained me to be around joviality, i eaked the most uncomfortable smile and inside ur jus thinking pls dont look at me i jus want to die. does anyone feel like there livin a double life, u got smiles and functionality on the outside but a deep painful self hate inside?

THE ONLY WAY YOU CAN RID YOURSELF OF THAT VOICE IS OVER TIME CONSTANTLY PROVING THE VOICE WRONG. DEPRESSION IS NOT SOMETHING THAT CAN BE BEATEN QUICKLY. IT TAKES A LIFETIME. RIGHT NOW I AM WINNING MY WAR AGAINST DEPRESSION BUT I HAVE FAR FROM WON AND I MAY NOT EVER BEAT IT, BUT DEPRESSION CAN EAT SHIT AND I WILL DIE FIGHTING IT IF I DONT BEAT IT BEFORE I DIE. ONCE YOU PROVE THE VOICE WRONG JUST ONCE, IT IS STILL THERE BUT WEAKER. PROVE IT WRONG TWICE, IT GETS WEAKER STILL. NOW THE VOICE (MY OWN) IN MY HEAD STILL CALLS ME A USELESS PIECE OF SHIT ABOUT SOME ASPECTS OF MY LIFE BUT IN OTHER ASPECTS IT IS SINGING MY PRAISES. EVERY TIME I GET COMPLACENT THOUGH, AND LET MY GUARD DOWN, DEPRESSION IS ALWAYS WAITING TO HIT ME LIKE A TON OF BRICKS. AND THINKING ABOUT ALL THE SUFFERING IN THE WORLD, ON PEOPLES FACES ON THE STREET, MAKES ME FEEL WORSE NOT BETTER. I STILL JUST WANNA CRAWL INTO A DARK CORNER AND DIE REGULARLY. I KNOW PEOPLE SAY LIVE FOR THE MOMENT, BUT YOU NEED A LONG TERM PLAN AND YOU NEED TO KNOW EXACTLY WHERE YOU WILL BE IN A SET PERIOD OF TIME, THAT HELPS ME ALOT, BUT SOME ASPECTS OF MY LIFE I SEEM INCAPABLE OF CONTROLLING. EVERY TIME I ACHIEVE WHAT I SET OUT TO ACHIEVE, THAT IS A BATTLE VICTORY IN THE WAR AGAINST DEPRESSION. AND IT IS A WAR YOUR HUMAN SPIRIT IS WAGING. ALTHOUGH THE DEPRESSION SEEMS INFINITELY STRONG, YOU MUST BELIEVE THE HUMAN SPIRIT IS STRONGER. I AM TELLING MYSELF THAT JUST AS MUCH AS YOU. THE REASON I SAY THIS IS BECAUSE NO MATTER WAT THE VOICES ARE SAYING, NO MATTER HOW AWFUL I FEEL, AND IF I CANT POSSIBLY FEEL ANY WORSE, A LITTLE VOICE (I DONT KNOW IF ITS MY OWN OR NOT, AND HAS LED ME SPECULATE ABOUT THE EXISTENCE OF GOD) SAYS 'NO' - 'YOU MUST KEEP ON TRYING'. AND I WILL NEVER GIVE UP, EVER. I HOPE THIS HELPS ANY ONE WHO READS IT

i kno wat u mean bout ' i jus want to die'. Get it alot, i went to bbq yesterday which ws gd step but oh my god wen ppl wer craking jokes and drinking and smiling, it actually pained me to be around joviality, i eaked the most uncomfortable smile and inside ur jus thinking pls dont look at me i jus want to die. does anyone feel like there livin a double life, u got smiles and functionality on the outside but a deep painful self hate inside?

I TOTALLY UNDERSTAND, AND WHEN YOU FEEL LIKE THAT, YOU FEEL TOTALLY ALONE RIGHT? THAT EXACT FEELING HAS BEEN PLAGUEING ME MY WHOLE LIFE AND WEARS ME DOWN. SOCIAL LIFE AND RELATIONSHIPS ARE BY FAR THE HARDEST PARTS OF YOUR LIFE TO CONTROL. THE WAY I TRY TO HANDLE IT IS TO NOT MASK IT, BUT JUST ALWAYS SPEAK HONESTLY ABOUT WHATS GOING ON IN YOUR HEAD. YOU CAN COME ACROSS AS BITTER AND CYNICAL BUT YOU MIX SOME DARK, DARK HUMOUR IN THERE AND PEOPLE SEEM TO LIKE THAT.... TO FIND IT REFRESHING, AS MOST PEOPLE WALK AROUND WITH A STUPID GRIN JUST TRYING TO PLEASE EVERYONE

• I swim, melts layers off my distress to feel that cool water against my skin and find myself weightless
  • I tell myself, my brain and body only actual know oxygen. Its my job to get it to them. The more oxygen to the brain the better it will feel.
  • The brain learns faster by doing than thinking. I use that one to motivate me.
  • The other is, in this very moment I am standing up I will walk over to the chair pick up my bag, pick up my keys, drive to the pool. I keep going through every step until I am actually in that moment and living it without prompting myself.

Sah

I need to talk about the thing which is bothering me, with people I know and trust will accept and support me. Makes me feel soooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooo (13 pages later) oooooooooooooooooo much better :)

Ross

I totally agree with you, andf have with who to talk makes me feel better too. My problem is not even who to talk, since I am very isolated at the moment and spend my days with my little dog.

i do lots of things to distract myself but i cant get to involved in anything as i can become obsessed

last night was awful and the only thing i could do was phone my mum and have a good old rant

she told me off for not doing more to help myself but hopeful she'll help me get help now the school holidays have started we're going to an art gallery next week to see an exclusive exhibition

things like that give me focus

lunch with my bestie who lives 500 miles away today dont know when i'll see her next

things like that bring me out of myself a bit

not so much advice as heres what i do but hope it helps

kate

Archived