Mental Health Forums

Bulimia And Anger

rosewater

i am suffering from bulima and boy is it awfull, but somehow i cant stop i am depressed and find it so diffuicuilt to study. please can someone give me advice how to beat bulimia (preferably an ex bulimi). thankyou xxx sunshinnee

I think this is a really hard thing to overcome on your own,have you ever considered getting professional help?

Lilly

I think this is a really hard thing to overcome on your own,have you ever considered getting professional help?

Lilly

yeah i have, i have recently started counselling which terrifies the life out of me. somtimes its hard to imagine life without it i have a really bad relationship with food i comfort eat a lot and get very fustrated which in turn becomes anger i just need to know somthimg that will help me cope. xxx

Wow thats so brave of you!

i presume you have binges and then throw up?

A thing that helped me was to when I wanted to binge sit down first and write down what was going on in my head,why I wanted to binge and see if I could deal with those feelings in a different way.

Lilly

Hi,

I've been bulimic on and off for the last 15 years, I have managed not to purge for 3 weeks now, basically I just sat down and thought long and hard about what I was doing to my body, my teeth, my knuckles etc.

It is very difficult to get out of but it makes you feel awful so is there anything you can do instead when you feel like comfort eating or even not to purge?

If I feel like binging I eat loads of food but low calorie so I don't need to purge, I still feel crap afterwards but at least it's the lesser of two evils. I eat raisins because they are sweet and fill you up, sometimes it gets rid of the need to binge/comfort eat.

Maybe you need to sort the depression out before the bulimia will cease, the bulimia is co morbid with the depression (in your case), so that needs sorting first?

I totally understand how horrible bulimia is, I mainly restrict so I am lucky I suppose, but when I go through phases of being sick 3 - 4 times a day it feels like hell.

Sorry I'm not much help, if you do binge, try waiting a while before you really feel the need to purge, because it's that initial feeling of fullness that makes us want to purge but after 10 minutes or so it wears off, the food starts to feel less 'in there'. Think to yourself that ok you have binged, try again tomorrow. It's about breaking the habit because bulimia is very addictive.

xx

Wow thats so brave of you!

i presume you have binges and then throw up?

A thing that helped me was to when I wanted to binge sit down first and write down what was going on in my head,why I wanted to binge and see if I could deal with those feelings in a different way.

Lilly

i ussaly binge but sometimes its just a normal meal, the feelimng is just so bad and my stomach bloates i cant eat alot atall, also i was wandering do u get headaches afetr eating because i do and they do not go untill i purge which afterwards i feel so drained anyway that i just want to sleep. thankyou for your advice i will defo try it. xxx

Hi,

I've been bulimic on and off for the last 15 years, I have managed not to purge for 3 weeks now, basically I just sat down and thought long and hard about what I was doing to my body, my teeth, my knuckles etc.

It is very difficult to get out of but it makes you feel awful so is there anything you can do instead when you feel like comfort eating or even not to purge?

If I feel like binging I eat loads of food but low calorie so I don't need to purge, I still feel crap afterwards but at least it's the lesser of two evils. I eat raisins because they are sweet and fill you up, sometimes it gets rid of the need to binge/comfort eat.

Maybe you need to sort the depression out before the bulimia will cease, the bulimia is co morbid with the depression (in your case), so that needs sorting first?

I totally understand how horrible bulimia is, I mainly restrict so I am lucky I suppose, but when I go through phases of being sick 3 - 4 times a day it feels like hell.

Sorry I'm not much help, if you do binge, try waiting a while before you really feel the need to purge, because it's that initial feeling of fullness that makes us want to purge but after 10 minutes or so it wears off, the food starts to feel less 'in there'. Think to yourself that ok you have binged, try again tomorrow. It's about breaking the habit because bulimia is very addictive.

xx

thankyou for ur advice and i totaly agree i think depression is playing a big role, iam in a vicious circle which i cant seem to get out of. my weakness is chocolate and fizzy. what type of low calorie foods do you eat and is there a low fat chocolate because i really need that. xxx

I eat nimble bread (toasted) and porridge basically, made with water with canderel to sweeten it. It's not a very exciting diet ha ha.

Not sure of low fat chocolate, I luckily don't really ever crave it but there is probably something that you could eat in replace of that so that you don't feel the need to binge afterwards.

Ooh actually, have you heard of the skinny cow products? They have ice creams that are low fat and low calorie (about 98 cals) and also hot chocolate in all different flavours. They could maybe halt a binge because you get the sugar boost you are obviously craving.

I always worry that I shouldn't tell low cal foods because I would hate to help an eating disorder get worse, but I think with bulimia if eating low cal foods stops us from purging then it has to be good? Because purging is so not good, I'm sorry you suffer with this :(

• 3 weeks later...

hi,iv been bulimic for 15 years now and cannot stop as much as i try. i suffer from depression BPD and psychosis. i always thought bulimia was the one thing in my life that i could control but as my cpn pointed out im not in control- IT CONTROLS ME. if i was in control i would be able to stop and i cant. yesterday i had the first day in years that i wasnt sick, this was mainly because i was detained under the mental health act. i was released but spent the rest of the day at home and ate dinner as usual but i was so determined not to be sick that i wasnt! i was so pleased with myself. i ate breakfast this morning and couldnt keep it down im so disappointed. its making me really ill, my sodium and potassium are low and my glucose level was 1.4 at the drs so he sent me straight to the hospital, who told me it was all to do eiyh my ED. its slowly killing me and iv got 2 young daughters. im totally in dispair. the only thing that is going to work as far as i can see is just pure willpower. im focusing on my girls and what would happen to them if i were no longer here. i will beat this and if i can then im sure you can too. best wishes x

• 3 weeks later...

I know the pain you're going through. I have been bulimic for 13 years and though I do not purge anymore (in the vomit sense), I do have a tendency to restrict after a binge or exercise like crazy. Luckily I do not binge very often now. However,I think eating disorders are very difficult to get rid of and I do not feel a sense that I am cured of it completely. :rolleyes:

A few things that helped me to stop binges are:

1) A food/feelings log. I would write down first how I was feeling or what I was thinking before eating. I would also write down how hungry I was at the time before eating based on a scale. Then I would log what I ate and how much of it. The hard part for me was not judging what or how much I ate. Then I would write my feelings/thoughts after eating as well as my level of satiety. From this information I would start to notice a pattern of triggers.

2) Mindful eating. This means not eating in front of the TV, computer or while reading. Sit down in the kitchen with your food in front of you. Experience it.

3) The pause. If you feel you must binge take a moment before doing so. This is when the eating log comes in handy because it helps you to figure out what's going on in your mind. Try to get out of the house or distract yourself with something else if you can't write.

4) Be gentle with yourself. Binge eating is a way of coping. You are taking care of you in the best way you know how, by self soothing with food.

I know how difficult this is. But don't give up. I just had a terrible 2 days where I felt as if I could not stop eating. It's an awful feeling. But I did not purge and I will not restrict or do any over the top exercising.

• 2 weeks later...

i am suffering from bulima and boy is it awfull, but somehow i cant stop i am depressed and find it so diffuicuilt to study. please can someone give me advice how to beat bulimia (preferably an ex bulimi). thankyou xxx sunshinnee

i totally know what your going through. i suffer from bumlia too its driving me mad, i overeat for two days straight and purge on and off for the duration of those two days and now i am walking around with alot of water weight. anyway i have decided that i'm not gonna resrtict any of the foods i eat anymore. i think thats wahts making my binging and purging so frequent. i am very stressed. so i'm gonna just forget about the whole weight loss thing till

the bulmia is behind me. i would suggest you do the seem because if you dont you wont break the cycle.

Archived