Mental Health Forums

Been Given New Anti D

Barebones

My pdoc talked me through about giving this anti d a try (Mirtazapine ) why she is giving it to me is due to i am to take th disolving tab on the toungue so it will absorbe better for me.

I read up about it, and im not really happy now about taking it.

The other problem if i take it, is that it may bring my blood pressure down in the way, when i was given a swap of anti p couple of years ago and i ended up on a drip, due to my blood pressure fell through the floor and i past out. However, lucky enough i was in the mental hospital at the time. This time i am at home and i dont want to end up that way again.

The other reason is i DONT WANT TO PUT WEIGHT ON! its bad enough that i am bigger just now, i dont need this drug to make me put on weight, thats why my last pdoc put me on duluxotine and sertreline, as they didnt put weight on, but helped with binging and eds. This drug increases ur apetite and i cant afford to gain any more weight.

I am to see my pdoc again in 2 weeks, but im thinking maybe i wont take it and also might just come off duloxotine aswell. I dont relish the withdrawels from duloxotine, as i get a washing machine head/crunching sounds in my brain, and also get vivid dreams to feeling unbalence in the morning when i miss a few days, now it aint just a few days, its just one day, so this anti d is going straight through me with out giving me any benefit in being on it.

Sry for rambling, i actually dont know what to do. Im jsut sick of feeling sick these past few days again, and getting some headaches.

och i dont know.

just feeling really shit just now.

Sorry you feel so rough bb. Its scarey taking new meds! keep us posted on what's happening, i'm sure there's others here who can tell you their experiences with this or similar meds xxxxxxx

hi barbones i was in a similar position a while ago when i was having a hard time. the psychistrist wanted me to try mirtazipine and i read up on it but got scared of the side effects. i have low blood pressure like you so was worried about that, plus i've really struggled with tiredness and get exhausted easily so really didn't fancy taking something which would cause that. of course the weight gain was a big issue too. luckily my mood started improving a bit naturally so i stayed on the sertraline but if it hadn't i'm not sure what i would've done. probably would have tried it for a few weeks to see if the effects were as bad as i'd read about.

are you having any other counselling or therapy?

i'm not sure if duloxetine is the same as venlafaxine but the head crunching you describe sounds similar to what happened when i was a few hours late with my dose. it was awful.i called it electric head and it just got worse and worse until i was able to take a dose. if you want to come off them i've since heard that taking prozac whilst you're coming off it will really help the withdrawl symptoms. something to do with its long half-life i think but hopefully your dr can give u more information on that.

take care and i hope everythings works out xxxxxx

hey hun

not try ing to put u off but i was on it, all it did was make me put on weight, it did help me sleep but didnt help with my moods.

cad

Sounds like you need some help figuring out what to do about this med,can you share your concerns/doubts with doc and talk it through?

Lilly

Thanks guys for the support and info.

My pdoc said that this drug has high tolerance, meaning not many people suffered much with any side effects. I guess thats fine, when u dont mind putting on weight, or having ur blood pressure drop through the floor again.

I have thought more on it, i will come off duluxotine, and just take the head crunches until they stop i guess. I wont go on the new drug,i will just wait until i see my pdoc in 2 weeks time and tell her my reasons for it.

I will just have to watch my mood i guess, i also thought i will take more of my anti p to see if that will help the night crunching of the head and also level out my mood.

Thanks vivian, u are spot on with ur info. To answer ur questions, yeah i have therapy got it this morn actually. I cant go on prozac due to i am to sensitive to it, im like that with many anti ds.

Anyway again thanks for the hugs and support, i will just have to get past the withdrawel of the duluxotine and see how i get on..

xxx (((roses))) (((everyone)))

Hi roses, i became really ill by monday, so had to take a the tablet, i found a forum about this anti d and how bad coming off it cold turkey would be, so i am now weaning myself off it slowely, it will take 10wks it looks like to come off it, if im reducing it properly. At the moment we are taking 10% of the beeds out, that takes it 10wks and if that is to much i will have to do 5% per week.

Yesterday i wasnt to bad, still little zoned out, one episode of neusea, so bit better thanks roses.

Hope ur hol went well?

Hullo

I read that the reason mirtaz makes you put on weight is because it makes you crave sugar. It doesnt actually cause you to retain fat - it just makes you want to stuff tate and lyle down your neck :o

Maybe one way around it would be to stock up on tea and coffee (decaf?) and sweeteners. I find Sweetex to be really nice and good, and doesnt contain aspartame, but it really helps when I have a massive sugar urge cuz my body thinks its getting sugar.

Drink lots of sugar free orange squash, find things that fill a hole but have less calories - I like to have ryvita with hummus and tuna :) And then theres good ol water too .... good appetite suppressant :)

Just some ideas...

Ross

Thanks ross for ur suggestions x

I have decided that i wont be taking it, im going to first come of the crap im on at the mo, then will decide if i go back on a anti d or not.

you gave good ol wise words any hoo, so thanks again.

Archived