Mental Health Forums

Anyone In Group Therapy?

madambutterfly

I added onto my post in PD that I may be starting a kind of group therapy soon and I would like people's opinions on what its like, nobody replied so I thought I would post it here.

My T wants to refer me to The 2B Project, it's a group therapy day care service that runs for a full day once a week. I have many issues with meeting and being around people I dont know and this is really bothering me to the point that I am considering not going. I thought that maybe if I could get an idea on what group T is like I may feel more positive about this. I have never been to anything like this before and I haven't got a clue what it would be like to talk in a group about my feelings and problems, I have only shared these things with my T and the thought of group T is scaring the shit out of me please help.

MB :hug2:

They perhaps vary depending on type, I've only attended 1 therapy group before which was a few years ago, but due to join another one soon. The new one offered a short term group that was more focussed on coping techniques which would then progress to the 2nd group which was more focussed on discussion.

My 1st group therapy experience was 2 therapists and about 8 clients sat in a circle, the therapists sort of helped guide the sessions and gave advice, but much was just allowing people to discuss there feelings, how they were coping that week etc so quite free flowing. A few sessions were more practical and structured to teach various techniques.

I thought i'd feel uncomfortable talking about myself as i'm shy but it seemed natural to join in the conversation and soon was able to talk about things i really didn't think i'd ever be able to. There is a comfort being surrounded by other's that understand your situation i think and for me feeling empathy towards their situations allowed me to offer some of that to myself too.

The first week is a bit awkward and i think that's expected, so it was more low key and just getting to know each other, but it soon felt more like meeting with friends every week for a chat. I also find it stressful meeting new people so i'm feeling a bit apprehensive about starting this new group too, but i know that will pass and by the 2nd session it will be easier.

thanks grey for replying I am still torn with this idea, my T says it will be the next step in my recovery, but i cant stop thinking that i may be wanting to go for the wrong reasons because she told me that she will be working there in september.

how can i help someone else or give them advice on their situations without seeming hypocritical to myself, if someone said to me that they wanted to commit suicide i'm not sure that i could tell them not to do it or if someone was self harming i couldn't tell them to stop as thats something i dont want to do myself.......I am so confused about all this :(

there are may reasons why I want to start group T and many why I dont and atm I need help to work out what is best :(

I go to an anxiety management group, its 6 x 2 hour sessions, with homework.

Data how are you going with you anxiety management? is it helping? this is something that i may end up working on at this group as i suffer a lot with anxiety and it would be great to hear if it helps.

thanks a lot for replying MB x

I have DBT every week i have a 121 session for 1 hr and a group session for 21/2 hrs, isnt helping me atm just making me worse but ive nothing else to try? nothing else to turn to, so im trying my hardest to stick with it becos if i dont...its over and there literally is NO hope! x

Archived