Mental Health Forums

Medical Problem

Betsy

Hi guys,

I have a recent dx on a medical prob. Went to a neurologist because one hand has atrophied muscles. My doc got the neurologists resport back and i need to have surgery. I have Ulner Nerve Entrapment at the elbow on both arms and carpel tunnel syndrom on my right hand.

i hear it is a 6 weeks recovery from the surg. They reroute the nerve from its normal pathway to protect it from stress. Does anyone know of the true path of this healing time frame? Will I be able to type? The idea of not being able to be in contact with all of you is freaking me out. If i am limited to hunt and peck it will be a very frustrating place for me to be.

just worrying in advance, i go see the neurosurgeon soon and he should be able to tell me more.

bets

Hi guys,

I have a recent dx on a medical prob.  Went to a neurologist because one hand has atrophied muscles.  My doc got the neurologists resport back and i need to have surgery.  I have Ulner Nerve Entrapment at the elbow on both arms and carpel tunnel syndrom on my right hand.

i hear it is a 6 weeks recovery from the surg.  They reroute the nerve from its normal pathway to protect it from stress.  Does anyone know of the true path of this healing time frame?  Will I be able to type?  The idea of not being able to be in contact with all of you is freaking me out.  If i am limited to hunt and peck it will be a very frustrating place for me to be.

just worrying in advance, i go see the neurosurgeon soon and he should be able to tell me more.

bets

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Hi Besty, I am new here but wanted to help you with your questions about your Ulnar Nerve Entrapement. From what I know after surgery, (like many surgeries now adays) active motion is started immediately according to patient tolerance. Within 1-2 months, normal activities should be resumed.

It simply depends on the person. Have you tried PT along with a NSAID? that should be your doctors first chioce b4 surgery. Just my opinion, hope that helps.

thanks,

I am dedfinitely looking for oppinions. What is NSAID? If i know this acronym it isnt coming to me!

actually i have only gone to the neurologist to have the nerve conductivity tests done. i will do a consult with and orthopedist as soon as i pick one and they schedule.

i am pretty sure it will be surg. because as the dr was doing the testing he started shouting "WOW WOW" I told him i was uncomfotable with a dr doing testing on me to shout that out (lol) He just said he had never seen a case this bad.... so my assumption is surg. also the nerve tissue between the thumb and first finger is comletely unresponsive (dead) and he doesnt think that will come back.

I am however getting aprehensive about a surg. that i dont know for sure will take place!

If you have more infor i am still interested. are you a doc or nurse or someone that has been thru this Dx?

thanks for your response ... bets

Betsy an NSAID means a Non Steroidal Anti Inflammatory Drug, something like motrin, advil, aleve, vioxx, celebrex. To name a few. But the reason that they do the surgery is because its a trapped nerve, and they dont usually respond to medication treatment, it has to be more aggressive. The reason they did my surgery was because I was losing muscle, and it never did come back.

Quit being stubborn and listen to your doctors. It really isnt a bad surgery, I have had worse. When I had my surgery I let my husband go camping so that I only had to take care of me, that was a very wise decision on my part.

Take care babe

Archived