Mental Health Forums

Education Questions

Tory

Hi,

I live in UK and have problems with my college atm. I wondered if anyone knew what colleges have to do for people with mental health difficulties???

They dont know i have BPD (other then my tutor who i told in confidence and is banned from talkin to me atm) but they do know i have mental health difficulties.

I should have another year at college and i was just wondering if anyone knew anything that may help me.

thanks

Tory

its up to you, wether you tell but i did when i went to college last year

i had help with exams coursework loads of stuff, i could leave a class if it got to much, i could speak to the counsellor, if work was late the 8understood. they were great. i was going to uni this year but i have postponed it, and i told them to, they sent out a seperate form so they could identify how they could help. i would always tell in jobs whatever i went for.

If i tell anyone then they prolly wont let me do job i want to do.

My college was really kool and understanding and my tutor was great but higher up in college they found out what was going on and decided i was gettin unfair treatment so banned everyone who helped me from talkin to me! Apparently i got away with 2 much but my lecturer and my tutor and there boss were fine with me cos i worked hard and tried hard but now its all a mess and if i go elsewhere i going to have to do 2 yrs instead of 1.

Apparently i havent come far enough in 4 yrs. at the start i wouldnt talk 2 my tutor myself i talked through someone else and never went to lessons worked at home alone. Now i go to college go to some lessons and things i never thought i would ever do.

Silly world and bosses who dont have a clue.

That is discrimination! PLAIN AND SIMPLE! whether they know about your mental health issues or not. I find it appalling! You need to go to the higher ups, higher ups and make a formal complaint. Banning someone from talking to someone is barbaric. I truly do not get it. If you make that formal complaint, make it concise, make it objective rather than subjective. State facts rather than emotions. If you need help with this I will be glad to help.

Hi Tory,

I'm having problems with my college as well at the moment... but reading yor post reminded me.... when i was at another college- what i got a lot of help from was the student disability advisors. Letting everyone They even helped me get benefits and not pay fees which was great! You shouldnt be banned from getting help! You should be treated fairly the same as everyone else, and given support as you require it, just like anyone else if they asked for help!

hope they give you the support you need,

tc, xx

• 3 weeks later...

Hi Tory!

I know, I'm a little late posting here.

Most Universities have administration for people with special needs. It can be physical, or mental, or developmental. You should contact the office of the registrar. They should be able to point you in the right direction. You could always speak with one of the Prof's that head the Faculty of whatever discipline you're studying. No need to have a hard time when it really isn't necessary. There is help. Maybe they could offer you less than a full course load.

Good luck!

Archived