Mental Health Forums

Can Anyone Help Me Or Advise Me?

piuma

feel terrible to be honest, had a session with t today, and i knew she wouldnt be happy with me cos i slipped up and did spray cans again, she has said she will not see me again if i do :( is she right to do that? i mean, i feel torn cos i feel like i need some support to stop, i cant ask toastie for support cos she has her own shit to deal with, cant ask my family cos they dont approve of drugs, but i do need some help, i spoke to drug service and they reckon she was wrong for saying that and that i should be able to access their support along side mental health. urghh i just dunno no more.

i also see someone from RASA, it was HUGEEEEEEEE step for me to asdk for help and my t says i cant see them either, i can understand different forms of support clashing etc, but rasa have been brill so far and said rthey are happy to work along side mentalh health.,

dunno what to do, and dont feel got anyone i c an talk to

It seems really harsh of your therapist to say that. They don't treat a diagnosis, they treat a person, Piuma, who has a multitude of problems. If you are abusing aerosols then presumably you are feeling bad and you need MORE support, not less.

Have you asked her why she wouldn't see you?

As you problably know I have alcohol misuse problems and mental health problems as well. I've come across a few doors in the mental health world that are closed to drinkers. Its like they don't want the two worlds mixing!

I think sometimes, in the NHS, these things are just an excuse to get people off their books so they can limit resources and save money.

if u do drugs or drink, they think u runnin away from ur problems and not facing up to em and dat if u wanted 2change u wouldnt be doin it

wot therapy u in?

traditionally therapists dont want people seeing other therapist

i was told by pdoc at easter that he would not help me if i was abusing alcohol

ffs was only drinking v little, few days, hardly ever , but using it to numb stuff

not sure waht to advise

expect they are worried u are facing too much and it will be too hard for you

xxxxxxxxxxxxxx

drug service reckon i can see drug service and mental health team separately...

hi billy i have a care coordinator who works on a cby / dbt based approach although we dont do therapy as such we tend to work on what ever comes up, although she is not one talking therapy.

i could lie to her and say im not seeing rasa or drug service but i dont want to lie arghhhhhhh what to do pfffft

thanks for replies

xxxxxx

I do not know why she said that,she must hace had her reasons I guess. I can see though this puts you in a difficult situation as she says youre also not allowed help with the drug issue alongside her help.

Im sure if you could you would just quit but indeed people often need help with that.

Its hard to work on MH issues though when in the throws of drugs because your mind is not clear. Sometimes it can be an idea to focus on getting drug free first(with help) and then start therapy for the other MH issues.

Maybe its an idea to ask her why she is taking this stance and what exactly she expects from you. I think its great youve sougt help for the drug issue........

Lilly

Hi there Pie I'm so sorry you hear you are in this difficult situation with your therapist. I believe (if I am informed correctly) that the old school rule was that you had to sign a contract to not self-harm or use street drugs or abuse alcohol severely when you entered certain types of therapy, but now they are are much more relaxed about it and usually try and support you through it. I can't see any reason why she would not want you to access support at RASA alongside her therapy without a valid reason. I agree with the advice above. Ask her direct and see what she says and what she expects from you. IF you think she is unreasonable tell her and ask her what alternative therapy styles are available or seek to switch therapists. You are entitled to ask to see a different one if you can't get on with the one you have. I did this with that awfully judgemental one bout 6 months ago (don't know if you remember) and I also changed my Pdoc back in 2007 when old one was doing me more harm than good. Both these changes have been for the better and I wouldn't be here, or as far on as I am now if it wasn't for doing that. But give her the benefit of the doubt and ask her first to tell you why. And remember you don't have to work with her and can ask for a re-referral if she is being unfair. How bout you ask her and then post what she says and we can talk about it? xxx

Archived