Mental Health Forums

Mirtazepine

beeley1

I started on Mirtazapine a week ago, only a small dose to start with (15mg), this is going to be increased in 3 weeks. I reduced my trazadone to 200mg from 300mg a week ago also. Has anyone else had side effects from Mirtazapine. I feel so drunk in the morning and doesnt really subside during the day, I feel totally out of it. Im sleeping for around 10 hours aswell. I know the benefits wont begin for at least another week, but i guess im looking for reaasurance that this drunken feeling will subside.

Hey Stormy,

I used to take Mirtazepine quite some time ago and yes, it made me feel exactly how it's making you feel. The grogginess does calm down after a while, like most side effects. I was also told by my doctor at the time... The higher up in dose you go, the less the sedating effects are.

Aurora :)

Part of the mirtazapine works on histamine receptors (ooo big words lol), so like hayfever tablets, it makes you drowsy. usually passes after a week or two as those little buggers get used to it.

I fell asleep standing up the first time I took it :lol: Left a big dent in a room heater ...

Ross

I am on mirtazphine and it makes you sedated for sure.

I take it at night and I sleep 12 hours a day. I don't know if this is the mirtazphine or the seroquel.

I sleep at 7pm each night and wake up about 6.30 or 7am.

Ever since I have started those medications that is how I have been sleeping.

@Thanks for your reply Aries1990, I would love the massive weight gain side effect to be honest, was yours immediate?

@myrmidon, thanks, itsgood to know its a positive drug for some, and nice to know the s effects will onyl last a few weeks :)

@icu_baby, i feel sleepy and am getting alot of sleep at the minute, but that is really excessive! :(.

@Thanks for your reply Aries1990, I would love the massive weight gain side effect to be honest, was yours immediate?

@myrmidon, thanks, itsgood to know its a positive drug for some, and nice to know the s effects will onyl last a few weeks :)

@icu_baby, i feel sleepy and am getting alot of sleep at the minute, but that is really excessive! :(.

I know my sleep is excessive too and the thing is that I don't feel refreshed after sleeping so long. I am tired right now as I type this post LOL. Give it a month though and see how you feel on it.

Stormy please can you keep us (me) updated about any side effects etc that you get from this anti d as my Psych is on about putting me onto this tablet soon. x

Hiya, you got to bare in mind that side effects are different for everyone. But my experience thus far, having been on them now for about 10 days is as follows;

First 6 days, really foggy almost drunk all day, felt really really tired like i could just nod off all the time. And the other one is Hunger. I gained around 5 pound in 10 days, which for me I dont mind. But you get hungry all the time. If you eat healthy food instead of snacking on crap like me, then you should be okay. The drunken tired feeling is less of an issue now, i dont feel such a space cadet, as the fog is clearing so to speak. My anxiety seems to be less, and my mood has lifted, which is the main concern.

Dont let my side effects put you off, it is a good drug in general according to all the research I have read, and they do wear off.

Hope this helps.

Check out this site for all the recognised symptoms and benefits ect

http://www.medicinenet.com/mirtazapine/article.htm

Paul x

Apparently weight gain is a very common side effect to mirtazepine so I am point blank rufusing to go on it! I am struggling to loose the weight my last tablets made me put on, so no offence this tablet can F-OFF in my opinion...

Abigail-Laura x

I have been on Mirtazapine for about 3 months. I had anxiety attacks and insomnia before taking it. I don't get the anxiety anywhere near as bad as I used to and I've had no trouble sleeping since I started taking it so I think thats a success. I have been on 2 SSRIs before it and neither of them did anything for me, so I think it depends on you and your brain chemistry.

When I first took Miz I remember feeling really dizzy and dehydrated, but that has passed now. I also remember getting really hungry and have succumbed to the binge-eating a lot. That seems to have become less though too.

The important thing is to give it time and keep weighing the positive effect against the negative. If its not working for you there are a lot of other drugs out there that may work better.

@Abee, I totally agree with antarctic leech. Their are plenty of other drugs on the market hun. Perhaps have a look on websites for other options before you see the doc, you will be more in control of your care, make you feel more empowered, and he can advise you of the negs and pos of the drugs you have researched, if you get me? x

It's my pdoc that is on about putting me on this anti depressant but at the minute I am still non the wiser what one they are going to put me on as they want me to stay on the one I am already on and they want to put me on another one as well. They have to consult the Professor in Mental Health in oxfordshire to ask what anti depressant can be mixed. My appointment was 2 weeks ago tomorrow so I am expecting to get a letter through the post any day now.. x

Hi combining 2 anti depressants is quite common.

I have been on 2 for 7 months now and changed one of them as well.

Mirtazepine works on lots of neurotrasmitters all at the same time, where as other SSRI on a few, thats why they like it.

But having been on it for 8weeks its not for me,

hope this helps

Thanks Christine, At the minute I am on a Tricyclic (lofepramine) so they have to check what others can be mixed with that type of anti depressant x

You could ask whether Trazodone could be an option to take along with lofepramine, its in a different class and Im sure a lowish dose (100mgs) would help. Just an idea.

I still havent heard from them so I am starting to think they have given up on me... Ah well thats one less person that cares for me, there isnt many left.. x

Hun we all care for you in an online kinda way. Why dont you give them a bell in the morning? Then you will know what the hold up is. consultants and professors are never in any kind of rush especially Psychs, it not you. xxxx

I still havent heard from them so I am starting to think they have given up on me... Ah well thats one less person that cares for me, there isnt many left.. x

Archived