Mental Health Forums

Antipsychotics- Need Info

AmyP

The psych doctor wants to perscribe me an antipsychotic called Abilify. I'm not sure whether it's necessary as i'm still not convinced i'm ill. Also i'm not sure how bad it has to be before it's necessary to be on an antipsych.

If your on antipsychotics please could you tell me how they affect you and what side effects you get.

Also do you think it's necessary for someone with transient psychosis to take these?

Sorry for all the questions but the psych doctor told me absolutely nothing. Ive only been for 2 appointments an they all ready wanna put me on meds. Just need information.

Thanks everyone xxx

amyP

dont know how abilify works

but i was put on quetiapine - which is also an antipsychotic - at Easter

as i was in a bad way

but i only stayd on it for about 2 and half weeks as decided i didnt need it

it certainly knocked me out

and stopped all the raging thoughts in my head

at no point would i say i was psychotic, or even that i was ill , when the pdoc gave it to me, - - but i was in lots of distress and it really did stop it in its track

they often use these meds short term - i think, increasingly, as they are more effective and less addictive than benzos

i would expect abilify is similar

Here are the side effects of ibuprofen:

Check with your doctor if any of these most COMMON side effects persist or become bothersome when using Ibuprofen:

Constipation; diarrhea; dizziness; gas; headache; heartburn; nausea; stomach pain or upset.

Seek medical attention right away if any of these SEVERE side effects occur when using Ibuprofen:

Severe allergic reactions (rash; hives; itching; trouble breathing; tightness in the chest; swelling of the mouth, face, lips, or tongue); bloody or black, tarry stools; change in the amount of urine produced; chest pain; confusion; dark urine; depression; fainting; fast or irregular heartbeat; fever, chills, or persistent sore throat; mental or mood changes; numbness of an arm or leg; one-sided weakness; red, swollen, blistered, or peeling skin; ringing in the ears; seizures; severe headache or dizziness; severe or persistent stomach pain or nausea; severe vomiting; shortness of breath; stiff neck; sudden or unexplained weight gain; swelling of hands, legs, or feet; unusual bruising or bleeding; unusual joint or muscle pain; unusual tiredness or weakness; vision or speech changes; vomit that looks like coffee grounds; yellowing of the skin or eyes.

Ibuprofen is a fairly safe drug which you can buy from any supermarket and even that has a massive list of possible side effects. So the answer is don't worry about side effects until you get them, because you might not get them at all! A lot of the side effects are quite rare. And if you do get side effects, if you feel they are outweighing the benefits of taking the drug, you can see your doctor. Its possible you just need the dose adjusting.

And don't worry about what class of drug a medication is supposed to be, or what other people are using it for. On the web it says that abilify is being used for depression, anxiety, psychosis or even autism. My mother takes a drug which is also used for psychosis (although very rarely nowadays). She ain't schizophrenic though... she has ear problems!!!!! Its surprising what different things drugs can be used for in different people.Just take the drug as per the prescription, and see if it works for you. If it doesn't, see the doctor!

hey walker thanks for the info hun, glad youv managed to be helped by them xx

you know data i havnt thought about it like that and its a really good point. I guess its something to worry about whenit happens. Thanks hun thats really helped i think il give them a go, after my driving test as it can affect it xx

Hi Sapphire,

I take Anti-Psychotics for Recurrent Transient Psychosis, my symptoms now are certainly less intense and more managable.

I've been on Olanzapine, Risperidone and am now on Quetiapine. The former two gave me a lot of side effects, from weight gain, serious drowsiness, lactation and Akathisia, which was quite awful. I made sure that i mentioned any debilitating side effects to my Doctor, who would then suggest i try another one. Which is now Quetiapine and i feel that this is the right one for me.

Anti-Psychotics are quite strong medications and many people do have problems with them, side effect wise. If you feel your symptoms are not strong enough to warrent taking them, you have every right to say; I don't think they are the right thing for me, can you suggest an alternative, to your Psychiatrist.

But if you decide they may help you somewhat, then give them a try. If they cause you to many problems, you can always get advice from your Psychiatrist about changing them or tapering off them. Please do make sure you speak to your GP/Psychiatrist if you want to stop them, because you can get withdrawl symptoms if you stop them dead.

I have heard Abilify is the lesser of the evils in regards to weight gain and other side effects. Although, not all medications affect everybody the same. So one person may suffer side effects from a certain medication, whilst another person will be perfectly fine on them.

Aurora :)

I take Stelazine for my psychosis until just recently things had been going well but lately i have been sensing eyes staring at me and seeing buildings that are in different parts of the country. Its doing my head in. I have tried Quetiapine but found i put on weight with it.

Scally xx

sorry to hear scally hun thanks for answering xxx

As a general question to everyone, do you find taking them helpful and worth possible side effects??

amyP

I agree with Data, about they are used for many things... alot of people are on anti-ps and they are not psychotic, its just to calm them down... i was on amulsulpride and find it hard to control my temper now that im not taking them.. olanzapine worked fantastic for me but i couldnt handle the constant hunger resulting in weightgain, i felt more upset with the weightgain then i did with feeling psychotic and angry... like my usual anti-d's work brilliantly for my intrusive thoughts but impact my sex life majorlly... u gotta weigh up the pros and cons and see what is most important sex and intrusive thoughts is a hard choice and i constantly change my mind sex, sanity sex, sanity... hard for a person who is used to being crazy with a high sex drive!

xxx

Archived